An offer I couldn't refuse

Reaction score
I thought I was going to be trading up from the Phantom 3 Std to one of the new Autel EVO 2's. Well that didn't happen.

Last week, I found a local deal on a new in box Phantom 4 Pro that has been sitting in a photographers closet for a couple of years. It still had the plastic wrap on the props and everything else in the box. Battery diagnostic registered 4 bars. The log was completely clean, and it had never been registered with DJI, so upon activating, I got the new warranty as well. $950.

I took it out on 3 assignments today. Wow... what an upgrade. All and in all, I think it was a very good deal.

Yeah that is a great deal! What kind of work are you going to use it for?

Reactions: Cajuncontroller
I'm a commercial real estate appraiser. I am using it for property inspections. The biggest issue I had with the P3 was the range and signal strength. Two of my assignments today were 90+ acres, and the P4P covered them with absolutely no problem.

I want to start getting into more industrial applications such as mapping and construction inspections. I think the P4P should work pretty well for getting into that market.

The log was completely clean, and it had never been registered with DJI, so upon activating, I got the new warranty as well. $950.

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure about that. You'd better double-check your position as regards the warranty, or you might find yourself disappointed if you try to claim under it in the future.

From here: After-Sales Service Policies - DJI

"What is Covered ...
.... "The warranty period for a product starts on the day such product is delivered, If you cannot provide invoice or other valid proof of purchase, then the warranty period will start from 90 days after the production date that shows on the product, unless otherwise agreed upon between you and DJI".

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure about that. You'd better double-check your position as regards the warranty, or you might find yourself disappointed if you try to claim under it in the future.

From here: After-Sales Service Policies - DJI

"What is Covered ...
.... "The warranty period for a product starts on the day such product is delivered, If you cannot provide invoice or other valid proof of purchase, then the warranty period will start from 90 days after the production date that shows on the product, unless otherwise agreed upon between you and DJI".
No problem either way. It was not something I was counting on anyway.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
If it fly with no issues I wouldn't update. At least you'll have no problems with NFZ.
I would be concern only about those batteries. Sitting in a box for years might reduce the capacity.
How they can be charged if were in an original box with wraps around it?

If it fly with no issues I wouldn't update. At least you'll have no problems with NFZ.
I would be concern only about those batteries. Sitting in a box for years might reduce the capacity.
How they can be charged if were in an original box with wraps around it?
I did ask the seller to charge up the batteries before he brought it over, so he had to at least unwrap those.

I'm not a fan of the NFZ system. That was my only hesitation about getting the P4P. But if it becomes an issue, I'll find a solution down the road.

Last week, I found a local deal on a new in box Phantom 4 Pro that has been sitting in a photographers closet for a couple of years. It still had the plastic wrap on the props and everything else in the box. Battery diagnostic registered 4 bars. The log was completely clean, and it had never been registered with DJI, so upon activating, I got the new warranty as well. $950.

You're luckier than a dog with two bones!

Firmware 1.03.0509 was a valuable firmware because of its hacking abilities. Would have liked to have had that one if it was available.
I believe if you get nolimitdronez it will allow you to downgrade firmware

I thought I was going to be trading up from the Phantom 3 Std to one of the new Autel EVO 2's. Well that didn't happen.

I took it out on 3 assignments today. Wow... what an upgrade. All and in all, I think it was a very good deal.

I do mostly mapping for a living, so the P4P was a real game changer for me. Not only is the mechanical shutter a game changer, but the thing is REALLY robust. It flies well in winds that would send my Inspire 1 flying. Because of it's robust flight characteristics and high bitrates, I also use it for traffic analysis. It's just an all-around amazing bird. That said...

Take my good advice here, and stick with Firmware v1.3.509 and Go 4 App v4.0.8 and you'll never have any problems, which includes the myriad of fly-aways I see in this forum. I've sent the bird out as far as 1.5 miles on automated missions and, other than after-market prop issues, have never had a problem. So stick with the OEM props.

Good luck.

D

Last edited:
The cost of propellers is so low that would be very unwise to buy a nonoriginal stuff.
Propellers make the drone fly!! So they are crucial part of it.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
The cost of propellers is so low that would be very unwise to buy a nonoriginal stuff.
Propellers make the drone fly!! So they are crucial part of it.

Assuming you're addressing me....

A day late and a dollar short with that advice....<;^)

I've been flying and using aftermarket props for DECADES without issue. I haven't always flown quadcopters. I started with gas-powered helicopters in the early 80's. As stated in my video, some aftermarket props are actually BETTER than their OEM counterparts. But obviously my TWO crash events changed my thoughts on this subject. If you watch the video, you will see where I make these assertions.

You will also notice that the props came with the drone, which was purchased "gently used" on eBay. I did not purchase them directly. All that said...

Your advice is good and directly follows the advice I give in my video.

D

Yes I watched your video. Your presentation is extraordinary good.
My point is a general one not directly on you because you had already confirmed that.

Reactions: Harleydude

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl