Airspace Question

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a just a brief question. For a commercial drone flight, I know you need authorization from the airport. Awhile back, you just had to call the tower. Now, you have to request the waiver. So for a class E5 airport, you wouldnt have to request a waiver because the lower limit is 700 feet. ( I am using this website BTW: https://faa.maps.arcgis.com ).

Now, for a class E2, you would have to request a waiver correct because it is from the surface up and that follows with Class D.

So if you want to fly in multiple different airspace's, can you do that on one waiver? Like for my area, there are I think 3 airports that are restricting me.

You're mixing terminology. You only need to notify the tower if you are flying recreationally within 5 miles of an airport. If flying commercially, you need to get FAA authorization for the flight AND give the tower a call right before you launch . Authorization is short term for less than 6 months. A waiver is for long-term, greater than 6 months. For example, I have received a waiver to be able to fly in Class C Airspace in the vicinity of my company in order to periodically test our sUAS equipment. This waiver is good for a 1-year period and must be renewed. I haven't had a need yet to fly through multiple airspaces, so I can't answer that question.

Last edited:
. If flying commercially, you need to get FAA authorization for the flight AND give the tower a call right before you launch

But only if contact with the tower is a requirement listed in that authorization. For the authorizations I have received, it was not.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Interesting.

But only if contact with the tower is a requirement listed in that authorization. For the authorizations I have received, it was not.

This is true. When I was on the phone with the "Evaluator" looking at my request he said, "For areas like yours I don't usually suggest ATC contact prior to flight but I just got off the phone with KAVL and they do want you to make verbal contact (via phone) 30 minutes prior to your planned launch time".

So mine for KAVL does stipulate this but from what he said on the phone not all ATC require this.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT