Air Travel In Canada With P2 Batteries?

Reaction score
I'm flying to Halifax tomorrow with WestJet and taking my Phantom 2 Vision. The vision will be checked baggage, in a GoProfessional case. I'll be carrying my batteries(2) in my carry on. I checked with a WestJet representative at the airport, and after about 20 minutes, they said I could only take 1 battery. All of the info that I can find online doesn't say I'm limited to 1. Anyway, the final decision will be up to CATSA in the morning. Just to be safe, I'll have my wife carry 1 of them.
I'm interested to hear of other people's experiences flying in Canada with Lipos?

Reactions: playadave
This is now "tomorrow" and I am just wondering how you made out. I will be flying in two weeks to St. John NB from Ottawa and will be taking my new (yet to arrive) P3P in original box as carry on.

I would love to know if there are any issues. Thanks

Reactions: playadave
This is now "tomorrow" and I am just wondering how you made out. I will be flying in two weeks to St. John NB from Ottawa and will be taking my new (yet to arrive) P3P in original box as carry on.

I would love to know if there are any issues. Thanks

I checked the Phantom 2 Vision in as fragile, so I was able to take it to the oversized baggage counter and explained to the lady what it was. She had never heard of a UAV or drone, but said she had to swab it because it was a remote controlled device. No problem there. My wife and I each had 1 battery in our carry on, and no one questioned it when we went through security, so I still am not 100% sure what is allowed. They certainly do not want lithium batteries in checked baggage.
You should have no problem taking the original box as carry on. I did have my battery contacts taped and they were in the original packages that they came in, based on suggestion I had read online.

FAA regs about Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries, I would assume Canada to be similar?
Carry on only, but the quantity limits are actually quite gracious and I know a few folks who regularly fly commercial with several 4S 5Ah (74Wh) RC Lipo bricks.

A 3S 2.2Ah Phantom pack is less than 25Wh labelled capacity.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

Main points:

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. Passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

Quantity limits: None for most batteries. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).

Batteries must be protected from damage.

Battery terminals (usually the ends) must be protected from short circuit (i.e., the terminals must not come in contact with other metal). Methods include: leaving the batteries in their retail packaging, covering battery terminals with tape, using a battery case, using a battery sleeve in a camera bag, or putting them snugly in a plastic bag or protective pouch.

Just returned to Alberta from Ontario, round trip Air Canada. I checked my bird and carried on all 4 batteries, terminals were taped, each in a ziplock bag and packaged Lipo safe bags (2/per bag). Overkill I think, but I wanted to avoid any hassles. And yes, I had to open the case and have the P3P swabbed before rolling down the baggage carousel, TSA locks in tact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers