Aftermarket Batteries...

I don't like aftermarket batteries, as many have thicker wires, making it a real pain to get them to fit in the Battery compartment. The Originals have thinner wires, making them a much easier fit.

If there are aftermarket batteries with the same thickness as the originals, then fine, but most are much thicker.

I have 2 Turngy 2200 mAh 25c batteries and compared to the original is a real tight fit.

denodan said:
I don't like aftermarket batteries, as many have thicker wires, making it a real pain to get them to fit in the Battery compartment. The Originals have thinner wires, making them a much easier fit.

If there are aftermarket batteries with the same thickness as the originals, then fine, but most are much thicker.

I have 2 Turngy 2200 mAh 25c batteries and compared to the original is a real tight fit.

Yah, my aftermarket battery (a Century) is a bit of a squeeze with the thicker wires.
But it does fit, and does the job. (and came with a TX60 connector)

I probably would have bought a extra genuine Phantom battery, if DJI actually made them available for US distributors (still waiting on that blasted cargo ship to arrive so I can get my extra "Free" battery that was "included" with my Phantom a month ago.)

I don't have any problem with the thicker wires on the Tenergy batteries I got. They are thicker but more flexible and I route them to the side of the battery and not the top.

If I would have had a source for the official batteries I would have gone with them but two in the hand is worth way more than a container full in the middle of the Pacific somewhere.

So does anyone want to try a higher capacity battery,ie 5000mah. And yes they are like 500grams, so they are heavy, and I know it won't fit inside the chassis, but it might fit an external mount with velcro strap. I think the overall weight is supposed to be under 1kilo, for the craft. :?:

globalcop said:
Adam said:
I just ordered two Turnigy 3S 2200 25-35c batteries. $14 each from HobbyKing.

Is this it? Because they're $9 now.

Nine dollars sounds too good to be true! Worth the wait for slower delivery...

Sac D said:
globalcop said:
Adam said:
I just ordered two Turnigy 3S 2200 25-35c batteries. $14 each from HobbyKing.

Is this it? Because they're $9 now.

Nine dollars sounds too good to be true! Worth the wait for slower delivery...

yeh, it's $9 from their international warehouse, then you have to add in shipping charges, and bam! you end up paying about $14 per battery. yeh, i just ordered me a couple of them. :lol:

this is totally NOOB to ask, but i'm sure some of us are wondering the same thing -- why don't i get a battery that has higher amperage and / or higher C#? like this one? 3S1P 3300MAH 35C 11.1V LI-PO it has the same voltage and form factor after all, so it should in theory give me longer flight time or plug more into the system right?

auck said:
this is totally NOOB to ask, but i'm sure some of us are wondering the same thing -- why don't i get a battery that has higher amperage and / or higher C#? like this one? 3S1P 3300MAH 35C 11.1V LI-PO it has the same voltage and form factor after all, so it should in theory give me longer flight time or plug more into the system right?

..think most of us are NOOBs! (when it comes to Phantoms at least).
I've been wondering the same, as its rather perplexing to figure out just what batteries out there will work.. and fit, in a Phantom.

Fit is the key word, as even the 2200's known to fit in Phantoms are a bit snug.
But I was wondering about all the other variants out there. 20c's are known to work fine with Phantoms, but I'm under the impression that the higher the C rating, the better quality the battery (and may as well spend a few extra bucks?).
one place I saw was selling 2250 45c's for the Phantom.
but I haven't seen any other higher amp batteries being sold "for Phantom".
*also I'd want to make sure they have the TX60 connector,. I wouldn't trust myself having to crimp new connectors

Gizmo3000 said:
auck said:

..think most of us are NOOBs! (when it comes to Phantoms at least).
I've been wondering the same, as its rather perplexing to figure out just what batteries out there will work.. and fit, in a Phantom.

Fit is the key word, as even the 2200's known to fit in Phantoms are a bit snug.
But I was wondering about all the other variants out there. 20c's are known to work fine with Phantoms, but I'm under the impression that the higher the C rating, the better quality the battery (and may as well spend a few extra bucks?).
one place I saw was selling 2250 45c's for the Phantom.
but I haven't seen any other higher amp batteries being sold "for Phantom".
*also I'd want to make sure they have the TX60 connector,. I wouldn't trust myself having to crimp new connectors

A higher C rating is only useful if your running xtra stuff off your battery. Your Phantom will only pull so much out of your battery and no extra C will help, your just wasting your money your just wasting money by buying a higher C rated battery.

denodan said:
A higher C rating is only useful if your running xtra stuff off your battery. Your Phantom will only pull so much out of your battery and no extra C will help, your just wasting your money your just wasting money by buying a higher C rated battery.

I just did a bit of reading..and I've have to disagree
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
(really good reading, now I think I might buy one of those fancy chargers)

"If you find a 35C pack for the same price as a 25C when that is all you need, go for the 35C pack - it will run cooler and have a longer life span. Like most things, pushing a Lipo pack hard close to its limits will wear it out and reduce it's useful capacity in very short order. If however you get a pack with a C discharge rating at least double of the maximum you intend to pull out of it, with proper care, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get at least 400 charge and discharge cycles out of it with little degradation."

I just purchased some 25c batteries for $1 more than the 20c's., fairly certain it was worth the extra $.

Gizmo3000 said:
denodan said:

I just did a bit of reading..and I've have to disagree
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html
(really good reading, now I think I might buy one of those fancy chargers)

"If you find a 35C pack for the same price as a 25C when that is all you need, go for the 35C pack - it will run cooler and have a longer life span. Like most things, pushing a Lipo pack hard close to its limits will wear it out and reduce it's useful capacity in very short order. If however you get a pack with a C discharge rating at least double of the maximum you intend to pull out of it, with proper care, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get at least 400 charge and discharge cycles out of it with little degradation."

I just purchased some 25c batteries for $1 more than the 20c's., fairly certain it was worth the extra $.

Your motors, etc will only pull so many and no increase of the C rating makes any difference, the motors, etc only pull what they need. I have 25C rated batteries, so your not gaining much by going higher, the price and difference it will make is not worth paying the extra, the Phantom uses 20C mini. I have 25C so can have it running flatout, etc and will supply all it needs
The biggest killer of these batteries is not looking after them properly. And the worse thing you can do is leave them overnight fully charged, it kills them quicker. No extra C rating helps if you don't look after your batteries.

The have to be charged the day you use them, the longer the charge remains without use the more damage, and left overnight fully charged will certianly shorten their life, which is why a good charger has a storage charge, so you can safely store these batteries, a fully charged battery left is a NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

You can buy a higher C battery, but the lttle benefit you will gain is not worth spending the extra on and are heavier, so the gains may not be worth it. 25C run well on the Phantom and not hot at all. Higher C rated batteries bring heavier may give less fly time due to weight.

So while the higher C rating your battery may last longer, the weight increases also, so less flight time, motors may work harder to carry the extra weight, so in the end, you may not gain much, unless you find a battery with higher C rating and lighter weight, but generally higher C rating heaver battery, so you may gain little advantage in the end and the Phantom will no pull enough to make your batteries that hot you need higher capacity. maybe on Manual mode a higher C rating will help as the Phantom becomes a different beast, and can push it much harder then the Stanadard Phantom, but with GPS and all autos on, you won't be pushing the battery.

http://aeroquad.com/archive/index.php/t-5982.html

OK so a battery pack with high C is not exactly a greater benefit for longer flight. Looks like you just need it IF you have "after market" add ons that will draw more power.

What about higher Ah? isn't Ah the electrical capacity of the battery? as long as we use a 3s (3 cell x 3.7v = 11.1v) battery pack with higher Ah, we should be able to fly for longer durations right?

denodan said:
[
Your motors, etc will only pull so many and no increase of the C rating makes any difference, the motors, etc only pull what they need. I have 25C rated batteries, so your not gaining much by going higher, the price and difference it will make is not worth paying the extra, the Phantom uses 20C mini. I have 25C so can have it running flatout, etc and will supply all it needs
The biggest killer of these batteries is not looking after them properly. And the worse thing you can do is leave them overnight fully charged, it kills them quicker. No extra C rating helps if you don't look after your batteries.

The have to be charged the day you use them, the longer the charge remains without use the more damage, and left overnight fully charged will certianly shorten their life, which is why a good charger has a storage charge, so you can safely store these batteries, a fully charged battery left is a NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!

You can buy a higher C battery, but the lttle benefit you will gain is not worth spending the extra on and are heavier, so the gains may not be worth it. 25C run well on the Phantom and not hot at all. Higher C rated batteries bring heavier may give less fly time due to weight.

So while the higher C rating your battery may last longer, the weight increases also, so less flight time, motors may work harder to carry the extra weight, so in the end, you may not gain much, unless you find a battery with higher C rating and lighter weight, but generally higher C rating heaver battery, so you may gain little advantage in the end and the Phantom will no pull enough to make your batteries that hot you need higher capacity. maybe on Manual mode a higher C rating will help as the Phantom becomes a different beast, and can push it much harder then the Stanadard Phantom, but with GPS and all autos on, you won't be pushing the battery.

good to know!
Now I'm definitely going to start looking for a better charger. (boy this hobby is getting outta control)

I did compare the weights (and size) between the 20c and the 25c.. 185 vs 188 grams and same size :D

auck said:
OK so a battery pack with high C is not exactly a greater benefit for longer flight. Looks like you just need it IF you have "after market" add ons that will draw more power.

What about higher Ah? isn't Ah the electrical capacity of the battery? as long as we use a 3s (3 cell x 3.7v = 11.1v) battery pack with higher Ah, we should be able to fly for longer durations right?

I'm no guru (just a newbie Phantom owner as well and new to RC, but learning fast).
but I'd say yes. in theory a higher Ah would likely equal longer flights..

-if you could find one that fit properly in a Phantom
-and then it would probably weight a bit more
-and cost a bit more

So then, even if possible, you have to say to yourself, is it really worth it to get a few more minutes of flight time?

Gizmo3000 said:
denodan said:
[

good to know!
Now I'm definitely going to start looking for a better charger. (boy this hobby is getting outta control)

I did compare the weights (and size) between the 20c and the 25c.. 185 vs 188 grams and same size :D

I got one of these, had it for a good while and works well. Has storage charge mode also, so if I fully charge my batteries, but somehow find I cannot use all batteries, then use storage mode, which discharges your battery from fully charged to safe storage, but if you find your Phantom battery is indicating it is going flat, land and change your battery, you will find it is near safe storage mode charge, keep using the battery till it drops due to being flat, will kill the battery quick, so don't ignore the first sigh you battery is going flat.

I never leave a battery fully charge if I am not going to use it the same day. If I cannot use it, or don't want to, I use storage mode on Charger

Anyway here is the charger I got, nice and cheap and works well.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/stor ... oduct=7028

This is the way I was taught, basically the Ah rating the size of the fuel tank (the higher, the heavier but more fuel you will have), think of the C rating as the size of the fuel line. Only so much can flow through it at once. In theory a higher Ah rating will do you good but you'd have to compare variables such as size, weight, etc. If anyone has done this I would love to hear some results as I am always looking for more flight time!

Smooth Sailing
-Steve

Guy's Please check out the batterys at MotionRC. They work great in my Phantom, they are fresh, and very reasonable and ready to ship. They mainly are only into planes but there batterys are great.

kwolters said:
Guy's Please check out the batterys at MotionRC. They work great in my Phantom, they are fresh, and very reasonable and ready to ship. They mainly are only into planes but there batterys are great.

*tho appears they don't come with TX60 connectors :|

Sorry: You are right as they come with Deans T's. Just a creature of habit I guess as I change all my batterys to Deans.

Is there a good link to crash course on LiPo batteries? I just got the phantom and I'm new in helicopters too and I seem to be learning things about these batteries after the fact....ie don't drain them below 20%, wait 5 minutes after use before recharge and now I see don't charge them for the next day. Apparently, I have alot more to learn.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers