Advice - Tower / Tank / Smoke Stack inspection.

Reaction score
I am investigating the use a drone mounted ‘Load Release’ device to drop a lightweight filament/line/cord etc into a narrow construction space, to allow rope abseiling of the structure.

The initial filament/line/cord would be replaced by progressively heavier cords, then the final ropes to be used by inspection team.

I have heard that there may be a very lightweight, tough? commercial tape or filament used specifically for this purpose? Possibly Yellow in colour?

Does anyone have knowledge of any suitable products?

With Thanks

Peter

I am investigating the use a drone mounted ‘Load Release’ device to drop a lightweight filament/line/cord etc into a narrow construction space, to allow rope abseiling of the structure.

The initial filament/line/cord would be replaced by progressively heavier cords, then the final ropes to be used by inspection team.

I have heard that there may be a very lightweight, tough? commercial tape or filament used specifically for this purpose? Possibly Yellow in colour?

Does anyone have knowledge of any suitable products?

With Thanks

Peter
Um be careful useing any tied to drone,can go bad real quick,i been lucky with some things i try,,i did find this out of many dropping rigs and think this might work well for you,,,,just have to keep it bit tight so your drone pulls it out instead of it free spooling out which drifts around in air the longer it gets so keep slight presure on the spool if going to do this way..good luck and take some pictures...ebay or similar have a range of drop devices to look at,,unsure what your flying so this looked good to me
Screenshot_20190308-090203.jpg

I used some monofilament that was Flourescent Orange to run the initial cable for a set of HAM radios. Unfortunately it was already on site so I didn't source it but it was light, bright and worked great. I ran the initial line and they pulled (by hand) larger line until they were able to pull the metal cable to suspend the actual antennae cables.

We used an Inspire 1 V2 with a STORK Drop Mechanism "just in case" things went bad.

I used some monofilament that was Flourescent Orange to run the initial cable for a set of HAM radios. Unfortunately it was already on site so I didn't source it but it was light, bright and worked great. I ran the initial line and they pulled (by hand) larger line until they were able to pull the metal cable to suspend the actual antennae cables.

We used an Inspire 1 V2 with a STORK Drop Mechanism "just in case" things went bad.

Many thanks for these replies...

The monofilament would certainly cut the weight to a minimum, ... was thinking that a slightly weighted plastic bad (sand?) [as the fish above], then need/hope to rely on whatever line "feeds gracefully" following release. A monofilament reel with the outer circumference restrained by "tape? Plasticine? etc?" might feed very well upon release.

Great Input from you both!

Peter

Reactions: BigAl07
I frequently lift parachute cord up and over a side arm on my 110 foot ham radio tower. My Phantom 4 will lift easily about 150 feet of this cord. I temporarily tape a 12 inch dowel to the landing struts allowing it to stick out in front. I then attach a weight such as a socket to the end of the line along with a bright florscent tape. About two feet down the line I tie a loop that is placed over the hovering Phantom. I unroll enough line for the flight. Takeoff point is about 100 feet from target. I fly up 150 feet then carefully fly the line over the support and about 100 feet beyond. To drop the weighted line simply yaw the drone 180 degrees and with camera pointed down watch the line with orange tape fall to the ground being careful to avoid hitting anything not needing to be hit.

This is best done when there is no wind and take it slow and easy. I have to avoid a large tree and then drop the weighted line through an opening between my home and another tree and avoid my solar panels. I made a few practice drops in the clear before trying it. It works great and now I don’t have to climb the tower just to hang a wire antenna.

Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi Jim,

Nice gentle trick for the cargo release!

I have also seen your contributions in this post
Any Ham Radio operators using their drone for related tasks?

which made reference to the various "Release" products they sold...

www.gimbal-guard.com

...again, many thanks for all contributions!

looking at monofilament, and 'string trimmer' ('whipper snipper') lines for suitability...

Peter

Thanks Peter! I appreciate your post. I really enjoy using my Phantom for other than "normal" stuff! The dowel addition is really simple to apply with tape and the Phantom has an unknown safety feature in that if it gets over stressed from pulling the parachute cord it will rotate on itself to allow the weight line to drop rather than doing damage or causing a crash. By suspending the line as described it keeps it clear of the propellers. Keeping the payout line semi taunt keeps everything straight. I was impressed how simple the drop turned out to be, simply by rotating the drone 180 degrees I always turn it in the direction that the dowel is on as it seems more practical I have made probably 10 drops total moving parachute cords over trees and my house with which to pull the heavier wire antennas up. The parachute cord is rated at 700 pounds! Plus it is lightweight and I bought mine from a local surplus store but one roll came from Amazon where asit is cheaper.

Good luck and think ahead and practice first in an open area on the drops. I have several videos on YouTube of the drops But not sure how to add them here.

Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31