A Global notice to all.

Difference between Apple updates and DJI updates is that Apple updates enhance and are tested thoroughly and are reliable. Dji updates can destroy or diminish reliability and performance. Eg, poor range, pixelated screen, yo yo, poor horizontal......feel free to add more of the well documented issues arising from poorly written updates from Dji. Name me a person who installed an IOS update to their iPad or iPhone and it killed the phone or diminished its performance ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Actually yes. Apple's last update for the iP4 was a killer. They removed some basic functions which rendered mine useless as a phone. I was quite happy with my first Apple product up until then. iP5 users got a fix soon after, but 4's were stuck with it. Did I follow the hordes & buy a 5? Nope.

Reactions: konidair
IOS, flying with apple ipad mini 2 and iphone 5c
Thanks @Phantom George . I have an iPad2, but I stopped using it as I found the screen a bit on the dim side for using outside. No issues apart from that. Now using a Samsung TabS2, soooo much brighter. But effectively I now have the choice of iOS or Android.
I do update them manually once the dust settles and there aren't too many horror stories. I keep a copy of the older Android versions just in case, don't know how to do that (if it's even possible) for iOS.

VERY GOOD ADVICE... Just bought my first DJI (a P4) and it is junk. Worked well for the first 3 min flight. App made me update firmware and it hasn't worked since. After a year of research and waiting, I think I'm done with DJI before I get an hour of flight time.

Thanks @Phantom George . I have an iPad2, but I stopped using it as I found the screen a bit on the dim side for using outside. No issues apart from that. Now using a Samsung TabS2, soooo much brighter. But effectively I now have the chorrice of iOS or Android.
I do update them manually once the dust settles and there aren't too many horror stories. I keep a copy of the older Android versions just in case, don't know how to do that (if it's even possible) for iOS.
Thanks @Phantom George . I have an iPad2, but I stopped using it as I found the screen a bit on the dim side for using outside. No issues apart from that. Now using a Samsung TabS2, soooo much brighter. But effectively I now have the choice of iOS or Android.

Yes, the screen is to dim on the ipads. Went out and found at Cheap as Chips a VR-Box. I put my iphone 5c into the slide and fly now FPV , cost AUD 20.-.

VERY GOOD ADVICE... Just bought my first DJI (a P4) and it is junk. .
How much do you want for it? How about $700 for that piece of junk with no flights? Sounds like we both win. :)

Reactions: konidair
How much do you want for it? How about $700 for that piece of junk with no flights? Sounds like we both win. :)

650 a Packet of Tic-Tacs and I pay shipping.

I work for a kinda big software company and sometimes we need to get a new update for one of our softwares but we know there's one in a million chances that other customers will have the error we just fixed but we still release it just in case. However, many times, even if development teams are running a bunch of tests, some new bugs might be hidden in the new fix. Something that hasn't been expected because modifying the code still can introduce new issues.
So I agree with those here that say: You can update, but please wait at least a few weeks after update is available just in case there is a bigger bug hidden.

i only had one issue with updating but used my Windows PC to perform the update. For whatever reason my Mac Book wasn't playing nicely. But that was awhile ago. Haven't had any issues since. My P4 has been flying great on the latest app and firmware.

Name me a person who installed an IOS update to their iPad or iPhone and it killed the phone or diminished its performance ?
Where do you get this info from???
I am one of those people and Apple has swapped the device(iPad 3) with a working one!Btw I'm still
an Apple fan(not fanboy) and I strongly believe that iOs is way more stable than android that's why I have chosen Apple devices to install my Dji Go app.
Also, please try to install iOS9 on an iPhone 4s and then come back and tell me if performance is diminished or not Apple faces lawsuit over how iOS 9 negatively impacts iPhone 4s performance
P.S. Keep in mind that most Phantom pilots(no pun intended) are updating/flying their drones without problems therefore there is no need to visit the forum(s) and open a new thread unlike those who have had a negative experience with their copter.
P.S2 Also keep in mind that many people do not even know how to update their Phantoms properly and lots of them do not even bother RTFM!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Every update creates a new bug. If it's not broke don't fix it!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Looking at the forum voice, it's easy to say that many have faced issues during updates and many would face again if the quality of installers are not improved by DJI. It is assumed that we are experienced in SW upgrades and IT and can easily install new updates. But that's not true. Many of us are good fliers and are not so good in FW concepts and installing steps and make mistakes in reading the written instructions correctly. I have been saying it again and again that DJI should improve the quality of installers so that if someone makes a mistake while installing update, it warns user well in time and suggest corrective action.

Looking at the above, I would say that if you are happy with current versions and all working, don't upgrade until you are confident of the entire updating process.

I have DJI Vision installed on my iPad for an older bird. Interestingly enough, when updating some apps, this showed for DJI Vision:

"Emergency repair problems that upgrade firmware for P2V aircraft will cause connection problems."

Just saying.

After all the pros and cons comments,

I say again, If you have a phantom 4 that is working fine ( flying around and recording video ), updating for some users has posed problems. I am not saying not to update, read the flipping post, if it works, don't touch. Look at all the posts now from the curious cats who just had to put in dji go app 2.8.4. Now they want to disable the geo fence. If you didn't update, you wouldnt have the issue now. for the poster who said apple update killed the iphone4, yes it did, you would be an absolute idiot to think your old phone would work generations later with current firmware.

I really don't care whether you crash or lose your drone, i was just offering some guidence for the many users who are new to the poor support world of dji.

For the ones who claim they have updated overtime, all the time and never had probe, congrats, your gamble paid off. There are those not so lucky and now stuck with an expensive lemon.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
So I still haven't updated yet.... Can you provide any links on the posts from people that are not happy with the latest updates? Or explain the reason why you are not satisfied.

I'm on this forum, rc groups, helifreak, FB, ...... All the time. I'm not really seeing a lot of negative. I am however seeing negative feedback from people who don't own a phantom, or, people who haven't updated.

Be glad too, just read the www.phantompilots.com forum....surely you aren't as blind as your post?

...for the poster who said apple update killed the iphone4, yes it did, you would be an absolute idiot to think your old phone would work generations later with current firmware.

Well next time try to use better examples and please stop generalizing cause the IOS9 was an official update even for the iPhone 4s and it DID affect performance!
It looks like you have issues with people who like updating and they don't experience issues!
And please stop flaming your own thread!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj