5870mahr battery appears dead

Reaction score
Getting ready for a trip and am charging my 6 batteries up but one of them, a 5870mahr battery, shows zero charge and when plugged in does indicate its charging. I never leave my batteries full discharged or fully charged so even though it's been a while since I used it there should still have been about half charge on it -- I leave it for storage at about 50-60%.

Is there any trick to restart the battery?

Brian

Getting ready for a trip and am charging my 6 batteries up but one of them, a 5870mahr battery, shows zero charge and when plugged in does indicate its charging. I never leave my batteries full discharged or fully charged so even though it's been a while since I used it there should still have been about half charge on it -- I leave it for storage at about 50-60%.

Is there any trick to restart the battery?

Brian
Possible batt entered hybination mode,

Well, I've had it on the charger for about 90 minutes and still no signs of life -- I'll give a few more hours.

Brian
OK Yeh it's a silly method to wake them up if it is,,,here's the post anyway just for reference,yes I'm on same page at looking for batt,320 here,,expensive
Screenshot_20180708-073936.jpg

OK, after having played with the power buttons to no avail then finding post #4 I let the battery sit for an hour or so. I then tried to switch it on as listed in step 1, but no lights at all. Still, I let it sit for about 10 minutes and now have it plugged into the factory charger. Se'll see if this works...

Brian

Just got back from a trip and am looking at doing this, but the procedure appears to be based on the Inspire batteries and not the Phantom batteries. Looking at the Phantom batteries, the 5870mahr ones, there are two little cross-point screws at the top but removing them doesn't allow the cap to come off. There has to be a trick to doing this with a Phantom battery and I'd rather not bodge things if I can help it.

Brian

Just got back from a trip and am looking at doing this, but the procedure appears to be based on the Inspire batteries and not the Phantom batteries. Looking at the Phantom batteries, the 5870mahr ones, there are two little cross-point screws at the top but removing them doesn't allow the cap to come off. There has to be a trick to doing this with a Phantom battery and I'd rather not bodge things if I can help it.

Brian

I’d have to check with a few ppl on finding a better review, but your other options to save the battery are third party vendors who do battery work and repair. The batteries aren’t dead per se, just in need of a jump, and dji doesn’t want liability for that so they don’t give many instructions. Without doing it through a third party or you yourself, the only use for a bricked battery is recycling it properly via community hazardous electronic guidelines. It’s sad that’s all a 150$ battery can be good for, but I’ve always said, whoever invents a better battery that doesn’t lose capacity or longevity will be the richest being alive.

I’d have to check with a few ppl on finding a better review, but your other options to save the battery are third party vendors who do battery work and repair. The batteries aren’t dead per se, just in need of a jump, and dji doesn’t want liability for that so they don’t give many instructions. Without doing it through a third party or you yourself, the only use for a bricked battery is recycling it properly via community hazardous electronic guidelines. It’s sad that’s all a 150$ battery can be good for, but I’ve always said, whoever invents a better battery that doesn’t lose capacity or longevity will be the richest being alive.

I have the technical ability to do this but I'd like an idea on how best to pop the cap. Often times you can find a way in that's a little destructive but then discover someone else has a non-destructive method -- I'd prefer to use the later without doing the former.

Brian

They often need more than a jump start- it’s not rare for one or more cells to be beyond hope of it has feel discharged.

As to third party repair these packs are outside the usual 18650 repack and SOC reset. Most wouldn’t be able to find the cells for a start.

I have the technical ability to do this but I'd like an idea on how best to pop the cap. Often times you can find a way in that's a little destructive but then discover someone else has a non-destructive method -- I'd prefer to use the later without doing the former.

Brian

Ok- you can get these apart without breaking the tabs but it’s fristrating.

Start with the bottom. Use a sharp blade to score down in the cracks side and base. You can then crack the tabs. Watch out around the connector as it is glued to both halves.

Next you can prise the top off- from the short ends. It takes a bit of effort.

Once inside measure the cells individually- you might have one or more that needs a seperate charge (through the balance tap leads is the easiest). You can carefully bring them up to min V for LiPO charge scheme to commence. It’s kargeky a waste of time though as you might know- IR will likely remain high.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik