5 Exposure HDR

DJI_0048_49_50_51_52_tonemapped.jpg

Reactions: ctp

my 5 shot AEB in J+R had a 4-5 second separation in timestamp between each photo. and took 30-45 seconds before the blue circle stopped spinning and I could take another one.

my 5 shot AEB in J+R had a 4-5 second separation in timestamp between each photo. and took 30-45 seconds before the blue circle stopped spinning and I could take another one.
interesting, I will attempt RAW and let you know if I have the same result.

Skip, I am new to this whole HDR photography stuff. So far, I've only done sunsets. In looking at your photo here though, I'm trying to understand why the shot needed different exposure levels. Wasn't it a bright enough day that everything should have been about the same exposure (especially since there in no sky)??

Here is a panorama I did last night, but I did HDR first and then stitched together.
Bellevue_stitch.jpg

Reactions: Skip holden
Skip, I am new to this whole HDR photography stuff. So far, I've only done sunsets. In looking at your photo here though, I'm trying to understand why the shot needed different exposure levels. Wasn't it a bright enough day that everything should have been about the same exposure (especially since there in no sky)??

Here is a panorama I did last night, but I did HDR first and then stitched together.View attachment 20367
True HDR is combining exposures of different values. one very blown out exposure and one dark as well as one normal exposure. The pilot app does this for you. Just hold down the shutter button on the app and options will pop up. other then that I was just testing it out. Works well in no wind.

It seems that the shots are taken very quickly with little separation, but they are saved sequentially. The J+R mode takes a few seconds to write each shot to the card.

I did have an interesting problem last night related to this. I took several 5 shot bursts fairly quickly together, and then had the one and only FPV disconnect in the app that I've experienced. I had to land and restart the Phantom to get FPV back. I think I over-worked the app by taking another burst before the first one was saved. I'll keep an eye on this in the future.

Chris

Reactions: ctp and Kelvinator
It seems that the shots are taken very quickly with little separation, but they are saved sequentially. The J+R mode takes a few seconds to write each shot to the card.

I did have an interesting problem last night related to this. I took several 5 shot bursts fairly quickly together, and then had the one and only FPV disconnect in the app that I've experienced. I had to land and restart the Phantom to get FPV back. I think I over-worked the app by taking another burst before the first one was saved. I'll keep an eye on this in the future.

Chris
The same thing happened to me right after I took the picture. I thought I lost it. I was freaking out trying to find it. After about 15 min I located it and I had rc control. Landed it at 32%. After I restarted the app it worked fine. Scary tho. I keep having software issues. Had it one week now.

The timestamp has to do with writing out the buffer to the SD Card, the pictures are taken much closer together than that.
there's is 2/3rds EV stop between each photo.
-1.33 EV
-.67 EV
0 EV
.67 EV
1.33 EV

I really wish it would be a full stop between or we could choose. 5 pic hdr with 2.67 stop spread doesn't help that much. 5 pic hdr with 4-8 stop spread would be much nicer

Reactions: ctp
Android or iOS?
Sorry - I should have said, iOS, latest version and latest firmware.

Everything has been super stable otherwise. I feel like this was me pushing the app to hard with too many multi exposure shots too quickly. I was a bit surprised that I could take another photo with the blue circle spinning. I'm just not sure that's a good idea.

Chris

The timestamp has to do with writing out the buffer to the SD Card, the pictures are taken much closer together than that.
there's is 2/3rds EV stop between each photo.
-1.33 EV
-.67 EV
0 EV
.67 EV
1.33 EV

I really wish it would be a full stop between or we could choose. 5 pic hdr with 2.67 stop spread doesn't help that much. 5 pic hdr with 4-8 stop spread would be much nicer

I find myself wanting to do the 5 over the 3 but discarding the number 2 and 4 photos just to get a wider spread. I didn't check though. What's the spread on just a 3 group shot? Is it 2/3 EV stop intervals?

Thanks!
Chris

True HDR is combining exposures of different values. one very blown out exposure and one dark as well as one normal exposure. The pilot app does this for you. Just hold down the shutter button on the app and options will pop up. other then that I was just testing it out. Works well in no wind.

Is this a P3P only thing? I've tried a couple times with my P3A and all I get when I hold down the shutter button is a picture, no menu pop up.

Last edited:
You can do HD with one shot, with as many photos as you like. Just rename the parent photo 5 times, then most editing software let's you change the settings. Then just merg them with Photoshop or your favorite HDR software.

You get a lot more control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.