$5,000 Fine and 6 Months In Jail - National Park Violations

Re: $5,000 Fine and 6 Months In Jail - National Park Violati

I actually got spanked yesterday by the Army Corps of Engineers (park ranger). Flying off the dam at a lake less than a mile from my house. Because its a flood control lake controlled by the feds I cant fly there.

Now that said the Ranger was absolutely the nicest guy and I could tell he felt bad for having to tell me.

I understand the other side of the coin and as said above if I was having a picnic net to a beautiful waterfall I probably would not want a buzzing drone overhead... unless I am flying it. So I get all that.

But a flood control lake? Seriously.

Cant play in the parks that were set aside for the citizens to play in ???? ... seriously I feel for our US friends, seems is getting more like "The Land of the "restricted" and home of the Coerced" ... than what its was previously known for, ...... hopefully some sanity may arise for you guys in the future.... but given US Gov't is back in constant war mode, cant see much coming to really help the citizenry anytime soon.... be safe and remember its only illegal when someone sees :twisted:

GMANNZ said:
but given US Gov't is back in constant war mode, cant see much coming to really help the citizenry anytime soon....

Throw all incumbents out!

Not the America I grew up with for sure. Way too much government. If most people knew what our forefathers meant we would be shooting at the feds by now.

I'll be honest... While the idea of not being able to take cool pics in a national park bums me out, I get it.

As these things become more and more popular, places like the national parks could easily become over run with people buzzing around. From the things I have seen on you tube... There are a lot of idiots taking real risks with these things.

Back in the early days of heli's you didn't have to worry about noobs quite as much because the chances of them getting past a hover was pretty limited if they didn't take it seriously.

However, the Phantom is one of those things that makes it easy for morons to do stupid stuff and ruin it for those of us who take the responsibility seriously.

Just imagine in 5 years what Yellowstone will be like when you can pick up something this sophisticated in the mall for $60.00

Now... I'd suggest the government sell permits... That would likely cut down on usage a bit and could put a way to qualify people...

Anyway... Just joining the conversation :)

I've been flying a while and I have been hassled a couple of times by law enforcement! I do think it would be a good idea to have a permit or a license or both. Get the license; shows who you are and a way to hold you accountable for misdeeds (ie flying too close to people, animals or similar things) and once you have a license, you can file a flight plan or get a permit to fly in an area.

That way Big brother is happy, the flyer is known, the intent is known and everyone is happy.

The initial license would demonstrate ability and should cost a few bucks to support the administration, but permits should be free and should be able to obtain electronically.

I think it's ridicules that firearms are allowed in National Parks but drones are not.

What would you rather encounter on a back country trail in the Grand Tetons - a guy packing a drone or a guy packing heat?

Do we need an amendment to the constitution to access?

WyattEarp said:
I think it's ridicules that firearms are allowed in National Parks but drones are not.

What would you rather encounter on a back country trail in the Grand Tetons - a guy packing a drone or a guy packing heat?

The Right to Bear Drones.

Yeah, I'll sign that petition :)

"A well regulated Pilotry, being necessary to the airspace of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Drones, shall not be infringed."

WyattEarp said:
"A well regulated Pilotry, being necessary to the airspace of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Drones, shall not be infringed."

Awesome :)

WyattEarp said:

Well, that all depends on if a mountain lion on the trail decides we are going to be his lunch. The quad may scare him away but ONLY IF NECESSARY, the gun will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31