4K Video of Mist Rolling in to the Rousdon Estate

Reaction score
Hi Phantom Pilots,

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was recently engaged on a roof inspection which I was squeezing in between morning rain and the falling light of late afternoon. As I completed the roof work I was aware of mist blowing in from behind me. The mist is common is this area and it rises from the sea up a 500ft undercliff then flows across pasture towards an 1850 Mansion House. I had one battery left so grabbed a few minutes of video flying amongst the bands of mist.

During processing in Resolve I applied the OpenFX Dehaze filter. I haven't used this filter before but I was surprised how it transformed the video by cutting through the mist. I found the effect overly strong and dialled it back a lot. Even then I had to dial down the saturation some more. So, don't forget to try this filter if you have video with fog, haze or smoke.

All the best, Martin

The house was nice but the Myst and trees was a brilliant capture. 3:10 was an amazing find.l

This is a good example of why we do a test flight to see what it looking good and than going back and setting the shot up .

The Cinematic shot would have been to fly over the lake come up on trees and fly over up and uncovering the house.

Well worth that last battery,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the rain.
Coal

Reactions: Capt KO
Really mystical mist. I like such landscapes.
The best is the first part of the video till 1.02.

Hi Phantom Pilots,

I was recently engaged on a roof inspection which I was squeezing in between morning rain and the falling light of late afternoon. As I completed the roof work I was aware of mist blowing in from behind me. The mist is common is this area and it rises from the sea up a 500ft undercliff then flows across pasture towards an 1850 Mansion House. I had one battery left so grabbed a few minutes of video flying amongst the bands of mist.

During processing in Resolve I applied the OpenFX Dehaze filter. I haven't used this filter before but I was surprised how it transformed the video by cutting through the mist. I found the effect overly strong and dialled it back a lot. Even then I had to dial down the saturation some more. So, don't forget to try this filter if you have video with fog, haze or smoke.

All the best, Martin
Very well done on one battery. Beautiful place too. Will have to try the filter. Now just need some fog or mist.

I am just learning how to use Resolve.
Where would I find the OpenFX Dehaze filter?

Really lovely. Where exactly is Rousden? As a yank who spent my 3yr at university in Guildford, I always orient locations in GB from there.
Hi Phantom Pilots,

All the best, Martin

Really lovely. Where exactly is Rousden? As a yank who spent my 3yr at university in Guildford, I always orient locations in GB from there.
Hi, Rousdon is in East Devon about 125 miles southwest of Guildford. You may remember a famous seaside town called Lyme Regis which is about 3 miles away.
All the best, Martin

I am just learning how to use Resolve.
Where would I find the OpenFX Dehaze filter?
Open the Effects Library, upper left next to the media pool tab, under Toolbox you'll see OpenFX, click on it, then go to the window to the right and scroll down to ResolveFX Color, Dehaze is the 7th tab down.

Never made it down there. Wish I had. While there I’d just started doing photography and was more interested in.B&W Street shooting. Landscapes came much later.
And it was 1975...?

Hi, Rousdon is in East Devon about 125 miles southwest of Guildford. You may remember a famous seaside town called Lyme Regis which is about 3 miles away.
All the best, Martin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.