3G GPS tracker RF-v42

EUREKA!!!! :cool:

Kudos to Reachfar Support!!!!..

They have so far been excellent in promptly replying all emails and answering questions, and have now supplied the SMS codes supported on the RF-V42 (attached PDF)

Well Done ReachFar!!!

Attachments

• RF-42 SMS Codes.pdf
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,854
Last edited:
Yes I found them very helpful as I said .Spring Wong is the one, she was very helpful even replied to emails almost straight away even on the weekend .
I think they may need a new head of the" Create A English Name Departement" though.I could be wong though.

Did you get yours to work ?
My son and I have been trying to get it to function properly for a while . The live tracking does not seem to work at all and the only way we can get a position is to call it. I can receive a call and talk through it to my son but the tracking often seems to get stuck showing it at the nearest tower 7kms away ?
Which code did you use to text the unit ?
We get the blue light flashing slow then fast and the no lights (sleep mode?)

Why does anyone use these trackers? They seem worthless. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't DJI GO have A feature showing the last GPS coordinates? I know litchi's does.
I have tried a couple of these trackers and they are highly inaccurate. Especially if they end up not facing in the right direction.

Litchi becomes very inaccurate once the AC is out of range .At least that's what I noticed on missions and often doesn't seem to correct even when back near the home point. I have landed and the app shows the AC still 300m away and approaching.
I was hoping to keep track using the live tracking .How accurate it will be I'm not sure time will tell I suppose.
We were able to track a vehicle moving around but if you lose GPs connection( under trees or in a building ) it shows the tracker unit at the nearest cell tower .
I haven't used the GO app for a long time. "Here" maps are useless so I have never used their feature.

Litchi becomes very inaccurate once the AC is out of range .At least that's what I noticed on missions and often doesn't seem to correct even when back near the home point. I have landed and the app shows the AC still 300m away and approaching.
I was hoping to keep track using the live tracking .How accurate it will be I'm not sure time will tell I suppose.
We were able to track a vehicle moving around but if you lose GPs connection( under trees or in a building ) it shows the tracker unit at the nearest cell tower .
I haven't used the GO app for a long time. "Here" maps are useless so I have never used their feature.
The trackers I have tried were worthless. They were always off by many city blocks or even miles. Even if they do get a good satellite connection, of you were to ever really need it in a crash, the quad would have to crash in almost ideal conditions and position. Not under a tree or upside down. Of the tracker is not facing the correct way facing the sky, it looses satellite connection and you still won't know where it crashed or went down. You can test this by taking the tracker out to a field and tossing it 20-30 feet in front of you. Nine times out of ten you will not get the tracker to connect to the satellites because it lands the wrong way down. And it will send back coordinates that are in another town.
I have not noticed the litchi issue you described. I have heard a few stories of successful retrievals using the GPS coordinates.
Here maps is not ideal. I like the Google maps better. But I use an iPad and not an Android device. So it's not an issue. The DJI GO app on the iPad doesn't use here maps. Besides, do you honestly really use the map to see where the Phantom is? I don't think anyone really does. That little window is really just used to find your way back by following the trail. I really don't see where actually using the satellite images on the map is useful. I used to cache my maps before flying, then I forgot to do it one time. Then realized they were not useful and not needed. It is just something for people to complain about.

Reactions: Numone
Did you get yours to work ?
My son and I have been trying to get it to function properly for a while . The live tracking does not seem to work at all and the only way we can get a position is to call it. I can receive a call and talk through it to my son but the tracking often seems to get stuck showing it at the nearest tower 7kms away ?
Which code did you use to text the unit ?
We get the blue light flashing slow then fast and the no lights (sleep mode?)

My V42 works very well - also the location accuracy is good and usually spot on if my update frequency is short (all configurable remotely)

Try the following:
Set the interval for uploading to 30s (precise Location) then leave it for around 3-5 mins in clear location to receive Sat Lock (i.e Not Indoors/in a building etc)

Query it by sending it "url#" (dont include "")
You will get a response with a URL that looks like this:

"google.com.hk/maps?g=S-37.823920,E144.961072"

Due to a bug in the code, the URL above generated by the V42 is incorrectly formatted.. (i have let ReachFar know, and they will hopefully fix it)

Go to google maps on the browser on your phone/Tablet or PC and in the Search Field type the Latitude & Longitude values without the S&E and a space after the comma

So like this: -37.823920, 144.961072

Or type in the complete URL in the same format.. Like this:
"google.com/maps/place/-37.823920, 144.961072"

(Dont forget the space after the comma)

This should give you the precise location.

ALSO - You do know that you can get live tracking via the ReachFar App.

Let me know how you get on...

Cheers.

Last edited:
The trackers I have tried were worthless. They were always off by many city blocks or even miles. Even if they do get a good satellite connection, of you were to ever really need it in a crash, the quad would have to crash in almost ideal conditions and position. Not under a tree or upside down. Of the tracker is not facing the correct way facing the sky, it looses satellite connection and you still won't know where it crashed or went down. You can test this by taking the tracker out to a field and tossing it 20-30 feet in front of you. Nine times out of ten you will not get the tracker to connect to the satellites because it lands the wrong way down. And it will send back coordinates that are in another town.
I have not noticed the litchi issue you described. I have heard a few stories of successful retrievals using the GPS coordinates.
Here maps is not ideal. I like the Google maps better. But I use an iPad and not an Android device. So it's not an issue. The DJI GO app on the iPad doesn't use here maps. Besides, do you honestly really use the map to see where the Phantom is? I don't think anyone really does. That little window is really just used to find your way back by following the trail. I really don't see where actually using the satellite images on the map is useful. I used to cache my maps before flying, then I forgot to do it one time. Then realized they were not useful and not needed. It is just something for people to complain about.

Hi

The V42 I have may have a very sensitive receiver. I can get an accurate Location, even with the tracker upside down in my pocket. (sometimes all this while indoors)
I suppose each make of tracker is different. - I have not had any real Location issues in normal usage.

The tracker produces Longitude and Latitudes for co-ordinates, so using Google maps or Here becomes irreverent (you can use anything that you feel like)

One fantastic/invaluable use for the V42 is Child safety.
I gave my tracker to my 11 year old daughter, and asked she keep it in her bag during a recent school trip into the city. throughout the morning i could tell exactly where she was, and she was even able to call me, using the tracker, after the trip ended early to ask me to pick her up. - she loves the idea and feels safe that i know her location & she is able to contact me at any suitable time, or in case of emergency.
Now you may ask why I don't just give her a phone...

Well firstly the tracker is around $80 compared to $800/$1000 phone which is a bit expensive to give to a young child.
Secondly - i don't want to give her a phone just yet - too many distractions.
Thirdly the tracker battery lasts 2-3 days, a smart phone normally dies after 12 hours /1 day.
And most importantly, the tracker is pre-programmed with my number only. so she does not have to fiddle around with a phone, all she does is press a little button on the tracker and a second later is talking to me - ideal in an emergency as it will automatically sms me her location as well if she initiates the call using the SoS button.

Last edited:
This seems to be the market they are aiming at and for the elderly (my wife says I might need one very soon !)

I can't comment on how good/bad the V42 is yet. I will need to use it a bit more when I have time .

I have worked out a way to mount it on the Phantom (nothing fancy) I will post a picture later.
Have you made any progress with a 3D mount ?

This seems to be the market they are aiming at and for the elderly (my wife says I might need one very soon !)

I can't comment on how good/bad the V42 is yet. I will need to use it a bit more when I have time .

I have worked out a way to mount it on the Phantom (nothing fancy) I will post a picture later.
Have you made any progress with a 3D mount ?

Hahaha :) My wife also thinks i need one permanently attached to my forehead as we go off flying our models at a moments notice (especially when the weather is good)

Yes - please post a pic... would like to see it.

I haven't yet printed a mount..... BUT after looking around to print one,... and the printing prices,.. I decided to go ahead and Buy a 3D printer, which is expected to be delivered this week. - so the first project , after i get to know how to use the printer is to design a mount and print it... Ill let you know how I get along.

v-42 mounted but as yet untested.
I had a gimbal protector that I hadn't used so I trimmed it up and drilled a few holes.I figured the belt clip held it in reasonably accept if you put upward pressure on the unit it will release easily which it is designed to do. .
Because of this I added a fishing line held by jewelry swages and a not fully tightened cable tie (so that I can snip it off if I need to)
I mounted it inside the landing gear so the AC will still fit in the case.
So I hope it all works

Telstra do a data only sim for $50 for a whole year but I'm not sure if you can sms with it . You could just use the live tracking all the time as you say.
I told my wife I was going to slip the v-42 in her bag to see what she gets up to /where she goes .She said I could just come with her and help do the shopping:( IMG_2304.JPG IMG_2302.JPG IMG_2306.JPG IMG_2306.JPG

Reactions: natedecker585
The biggest problem with GPS trackers is their requirement for cellphone signal. Where I fly in the countryside, I often have no coverage. If you can't ping the tracker, it won't send the coordinates to you and you'll have no idea on its location.
To the guy who asked why bother, and to just use the 'Find My Drone' feature, this is useful but only to a point. If your drone loses contact with your remote, it won't know the actual last location. This actually happened to me and I never recovered it.

So after that expensive lesson, I looked into trackers; GPS need cellphone and an active ongoing SIM. So in the end I went for a radio frequency tracker; Marco Polo isn't available outside the US, and is large and needs constant recharging, so I went for the Loc8tor instead... And had a play with it the other day:

Cheers,
Ian

Interesting .Thanks for that .

Sorry you lost your first Mavic

You can get the Marco Polo in Australia and I'm told they are legal here but as you say they are expensive .

I used the live tracking today and it did work although it was frozen a few times and I had to close and reopen the app.
Although the speed of the AC was constant the 30 second updates seemed to give the position anywhere from 100m to 500m behind where the AC was.There were times when the location didn't move for 2-4 minutes also but in saying that once landed it gave the position within 10m.
I will try texting or calling the GPS to get a stationary location later.

I also wonder how good it will be if the AC is lost down a gully.We get reasonable coverage on most of our place but that's standing or in a vehicle .That could change at ground level ground or if the unit has a right and wrong way up.

Maybe we need to mount both RF and GPS giving 3 options all different and a water proof one as well in case you take a dive into the Channel:)

Ha...yeah, might be nice to know which bit of water you dived into....
Sounds like you have better mobile coverage... where I lost mine down under the cliffs there was no mobile signal at all, so no GPS tracker would work.

The Marco Polo isn't EU radio compliant I read, hence it's not able to be sold legally here. That said, remembering to charge up the tracker's battery would catch me out.

Cheers
Ian

living in an urban area, would buying a GPS tracker on 3G a better choice over trackers over radio waves?
Probably better with a 3G tracker then, as RF tracker's waves can be blocked by buildings, and you're more likely to have universal 3G signal coverage.....
Ian

Hi all Phantom flyers, just purchased a tracker for my Phantom 3 Pro, company called Rewire Security TK102 Nano GPS Tracker, will be testing out shortly, they also supply a holder which clips onto the Phantom, will let you know how I get on.
Chris

Too expensive in Australia and you are locked into to a monthly fee even if you don't use it for months

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures