27db is Safe... Here is the proof!

24dbm is default.
Yes, you can also choose.

Supposedly... let's say you go with the default 24 and then you start to get weak signal. It will ramp up to 27 on it's own, in order to get the signal back.

Oh sweet, so i may as well just leave it set at 24 then :)

Go up to Matts post after mine ... you get both 5.8Ghz and 2.4Ghz figures ..

Nigel

Reactions: Dazzauk
Oh sweet, so i may as well just leave it set at 24 then :)

As you have the DBS fitted - you will get reasonable range anyway ... so no point unless you wish to really push the limits as I do.

Nigel

As you have the DBS fitted - you will get reasonable range anyway ... so no point unless you wish to really push the limits as I do.

Nigel

I lost video signal over water on sunday at 3000 ish feet, and i didnt like it

earlier that day i went 6144 feet before rth kicked in with no video loss.

New news.. After a long Debate The truth is out!!! LOL
There has been concerns about 27Db output of the P3S..
The conservatives say "It is to much!" (burnout possible)..
The radicals say GO FOR IT !!!
Well who is right..
Well Papa Tita Was concerned.. He went through the process of adding an Auto Boost script in the mod.. So that if in case the conservatives are right all would still be safe Thanks Fadjar! :)
Well, the debate still went on..
But The proof is in the pudding...
An Unmodded (Reverted) P3S shows a stock output level of 27dB!!!
So there is no danger of "Burnout" (and there never was any burnouts to prove it either?? )
But,
Now there is a new question??
How is DJI selling 27db drones in the USA that Fcc limits to 20dB?
My P3s has been Modded with the Magic power 5 app then it was reverted to stock..
I have a lingering question though So...
If someone would...
If you have not done the Magic power mod.. And are planing to..
Let me walk you through it.. I would like to test it as i did here but to a truely never modded bird..
This is the proof of Db...
I just received mine today, and was planning the mod, but was unsure on exactly how to do the mod.Ill be your guinea pig.lol

Sent from my SM-T217S using PhantomPilots mobile app

I lost video signal over water on sunday at 3000 ish feet, and i didnt like it

earlier that day i went 6144 feet before rth kicked in with no video loss.

Not unusual actually ... I can get 2400m and then next flight get barely 1000m ...

It also depends on height you fly ... to get max range on testing - I tend to create a rising flight path ... so as distnace increases - my AC is actually climbing slowly as well ... I regularly hit over 200 .. 250m altitude out at 2000m range ...
My reasoning is that the angular height above ground decreases relative to my controller as range increases. So to maintain that same angle - I gradually climb. This helps to keep clear signal to / from.

Nigel

Not unusual actually ... I can get 2400m and then next flight get barely 1000m ...

It also depends on height you fly ... to get max range on testing - I tend to create a rising flight path ... so as distnace increases - my AC is actually climbing slowly as well ... I regularly hit over 200 .. 250m altitude out at 2000m range ...
My reasoning is that the angular height above ground decreases relative to my controller as range increases. So to maintain that same angle - I gradually climb. This helps to keep clear signal to / from.

Nigel

good info, thanks nigel :)

I was flying at 300-390ft at both locations,

i think what did me was i flew from hythe marina Google Maps and reached the other side where the ships are, however only after watching the footage back did i notice the big antenna mast with 4-5 dishes on it presumably for the ships..

Doubt the mast is for ships as most dish antenna are for focused shore transmissions between towers or stations. Ships comms are on LF, HF and VHF ... no need for dish except for the Sat com and that's inside a 'mushroom dome'.

I know Hythe Marina ... Fawley ... Hamble ... Calshot etc. !! as you know.

Cheers
Nigel

Doubt the mast is for ships as most dish antenna are for focused shore transmissions between towers or stations. Ships comms are on LF, HF and VHF ... no need for dish except for the Sat com and that's inside a 'mushroom dome'.

I know Hythe Marina ... Fawley ... Hamble ... Calshot etc. !! as you know.

Cheers
Nigel

Ah ok, still you think that was interfering with my signal?

Ah ok, still you think that was interfering with my signal?

Who knows .... any metal or object interferes with 2.4 / 5.8 ....

People tend not to realise that these Ghz frequencis are pure Line of Sight freq's. I've shown other flyers the effect of a chain link fence on 2.4Ghz

The old days of AM / FM radios ... 27, 36, 40, 72 Mhz etc. were much better for range and connection between Tx and Rx - they could literally stay connected even when behind trees / fences / obstructions even at distance. But Ghz freq's are not as good at that. BUT being coded as in hopping and Bound - they have taken over giving us freedom from Freq Peg boards. No longer are we restricted to wait for others to free up our freq to let us fly.

Example : 27Mhz was 12 slots until splits were introduced. That meant only 12 people could have radios on at one time and each had to have different crystal.

Along comes 2.4Ghz with Freq Hopping and Bind to Rx - now you can effectively have hundreds in the air at one time ... 5.8Ghz same.

BUT be aware of the Line of Sight requirement of Ghz freq's. It doesn't mean you need to keep IN sight - it means it must be unobstructed line from your antenna to the Aircraft ...

Sorry if you already know this Daz ... but think maybe some others new to RC are not aware.

Nigel

Ahhh. I remember the old days at the pond at the park (R/C boats). Having to walk up to everyone and ask them what channel they were running on. Then a few years ago bringing my old school r/c car up to the track and asking a couple of 11/12 year old kids what channel they were on and got a blank look and "What the heck are you talking about, mister?". LOL

Ahhh. I remember the old days at the pond at the park (R/C boats). Having to walk up to everyone and ask them what channel they were running on. Then a few years ago bringing my old school r/c car up to the track and asking a couple of 11/12 year old kids what channel they were on and got a blank look and "What the heck are you talking about, mister?". LOL

Showing your age dude lol

Naughty naughty ... no Flag on your antenna ?

I used to carry a Peg Board for one Club I was in ... had to be a the 'good guy' as I was SMAE rep for a while !!

Excuse why I tell a story ...

Southern Area Champs meeting in UK, Beaulieu ... years ago.

I had the 71 Freq peg for my flight and was tooling up to fly. All cleared with Marshalls etc. and it was basically free time between heats.
I was just taking off when I was tapped on shoulder by a gent ... who accused me of shooting down another flyer. I pointed at the Peg clipped to my Antenna showing I was legally flying and OK'd with Marshalls ...
The 'other' guy shot down was none other than Mr. Ken Binks - UK Aerobatics Champion .....
Ignoring Freq control and requirement to check in with Marshalls - he switched on and tried to fly ... on 71. My JR basically overpowered his xxxxx brand radio and that was it. Luckily neither of us were off ground so no damage done.
I of course was not happy that I was following the rules and then asked by Marshalls to relinquish the peg I had only just been cleared for, to allow KB to fly ...

Yep - those were the days !!

Nigel

So I asked all of this in another post that was largely ignored and some responded with respect to what EIRP actually means.

It is transmit power plus antenna gain. This would be 20dBi + 7 dBi antenna gain.

So the question is, which I asked and never got an answer...Are we increasing the transmitter power to 27dBi and then adding the 7 dBi with the antenna with MagicPower?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

So I asked all of this in another post that was largely ignored and some responded with respect to what EIRP actually means.

It is transmit power plus antenna gain. This would be 20dBi + 7 dBi antenna gain.

So the question is, which I asked and never got an answer...Are we increasing the transmitter power to 27dBi and then adding the 7 dBi with the antenna with MagicPower?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Antenna gain is only 2.2dbm. It's in the FCC documents.

Power on the FCC documents is stated as 27.xx BEFORE the antenna. Then you add 2.2 for the antenna. That puts you right at 30dbm total, which = 1 watt. The legal limit for WiFi in the USA.

Phantom 3 Standard RF Exposure Info Microsoft Word - RDG150320002-00A.doc SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

New news.. After a long Debate The truth is out!!! LOL
There has been concerns about 27Db output of the P3S..
The conservatives say "It is to much!" (burnout possible)..
The radicals say GO FOR IT !!!
Well who is right..
Well Papa Tita Was concerned.. He went through the process of adding an Auto Boost script in the mod.. So that if in case the conservatives are right all would still be safe Thanks Fadjar! :)
Well, the debate still went on..
But The proof is in the pudding...
An Unmodded (Reverted) P3S shows a stock output level of 27dB!!!
So there is no danger of "Burnout" (and there never was any burnouts to prove it either?? )
But,
Now there is a new question??
How is DJI selling 27db drones in the USA that Fcc limits to 20dB?
My P3s has been Modded with the Magic power 5 app then it was reverted to stock..
I have a lingering question though So...
If someone would...
If you have not done the Magic power mod.. And are planing to..
Let me walk you through it.. I would like to test it as i did here but to a truely never modded bird..
This is the proof of Db...
FCC regulation on the Wi-Fi band is not 20. I believe it somewhere near 30 actually.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

FCC regulation on the Wi-Fi band is not 20. I believe it somewhere near 30 actually.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Correct. FCC consumer WiFi limit is 1 watt = 30dbm.

27dbm output + 2.2 dbi antenna = just a shade below the limit. (2.2dbi antenna spec found in FCC documents).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl