20 point start up procedure for Phantom 2 (non vision)

Reaction score
What have I missed?

20 point startup procedure for Phantom 2

1. Check the location is clear from power lines, transmitters and large metal objects
2. Set up FPV monitor on stand and power up RX unit
3. Switch iPhone to airplane mode
4. Spin the Phantom props by hand and check the blade edges
5. Check the battery level indicator on the Phantom
6. Switch on the RC and check S1 and S2 are in uppermost position
7. Switch on and start the Go-Pro camera
8. Check the Go-Pro settings on the LCD and confirm it is recording
9. Place Phantom on a level surface taking care of suitable clearance for Go-Pro
10. Switch on Phantom and wait for flashing green LEDs
11. Check FPV monitor has Go-Pro and iOSD mini output
12. Instigate compass calibration mode by toggling S1 6 times
13. Check LEDs are flashing amber
14. Rotate Phantom in a horizontal axis until LEDs turn green
15. Rotate Phantom vertical axis until LEDs are green
16. Place Phantom back on the level surface checking gimbal/ camera clearance
17. Start the props
18. Lift off and instigate an eye height hover. Check stability. Operate the sticks in turn to check normal flight operation
19. Check gimbal tilt function
20. Go and have fun

Don't over engineer your life. you are guilty of over-analysis. We did fine before this and just read the manual.

Lose: 1. We wouldn't be there in the first place. Other than the "large metal objects" that I think you might have made up. These are the things I think I might just photograph the most.

2. D'oh could I really forget that? Even if I tried?

3. That is just silly. What if someone wants to call me?

4. Why? In case they seized? I think I'd see this when I asked them to start.

5. The battery is full. I wouldn't be flying it if it were not full when I left the house.

6. Finally, some sense. As 7 and 8, 9,10 and 11.

Then you lose the plot and start making things up.

There is already a user manual. We don't need what is going on in your misguided head to confuse the issue.

I usually turn on the phantom first and then the GoPro, I notice that the camera likes to freeze if I turn it on first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Damien,

Good list. Glad to see that all the boxes are being ticked for a safe flight for you and anyone else in the area, just in case there was a problem and something went wrong.

By doing the list you will negate most user error faults and can be safe in the knowledge that it would be most likely a manufacturers fault if something happened.

My number 1 is always to make sure there is no immediate danger to the general public or property and that I am 50 metres away from buildings and people out of my control.

Good work so far!

AMK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To each his own... If this works for your routine, go for it. I may not do everything on your list or in that order but being aware & alert to avoid accidents should be a priority. Thumbs up for reminding us.

Ok, a lot of people seem to be kind of criticizing his list. Yea some of them are common sense things. But now go search the Fly-Away threads and see how many people haven't done something that was common sense. :D

honestly ...... you must not like flying ....... if not then don't do it and put the phantom up or sell it....... Hell I will buy it thenyou can go back to whatever you were doing before this,,,,geeeejus!!!!!!!!.....you should hear yourself .... this place is for men who are looking for some non wife time "selftime" don't act like that!!!!!!!put a smile on and fly bud!!!!! :eek:

It's a good list and the sooner you make it standard routine the better. I do pretty much all of these things and it doesn't take more than 2 minutes to do. Two minutes of prevention. Well worth it. BTW, surveying the area and looking for power lines is important. They're too easy to miss on the FPV and everyone knows Phantoms can't help but steer right for them!

As for the compass, I'll calibrate it if I'm in a new location that appears to be free of localized magnetic fields. When I do, I empty my pockets and place everything about 5 feet away. Why? I have a lot of experience with magnetic compasses, that's why.

In general aviation, there is a common saying: the likelihood of something bad happening is inversely proportional to how prepared you are for it.

Damien, personally I think you're on the right track. We all have our checks we go through before flight and as CoppellDarryl said, there are plenty of stories of fly-aways from those who don't. Looking at some of those negative posts it's clear they should be spending less time flying and more time making sure they can spell and write correctly before posting on here..... :lol:

For me, I always calibrate the compass when I power up on the P2... even if I am in the same spot I was previously. It takes less than 30 seconds and gives me a little peace of mind! Also before I fly off, I hover it for sixty seconds and make sure it responds to all my inputs, make sure the motors are running properly and that the blades are good. :D

Thanks guys.

I know it's a bit lengthy and yes I'll cut out some stages but my original question "What is missing" has been answered thank you. Safety is paramount.

Damienlovegrove said:
Thanks guys.

I know it's a bit lengthy and yes I'll cut out some stages but my original question "What is missing" has been answered thank you. Safety is paramount.
Hi Damien...its better to be safe than sorry!

I have had my shiny new P2 for about 10 days now and want to keep it that way...I too am a bit overly cautious, but thats how I do things when I am uncertain about my abilities...

I have had 6 very successful fun flights and captured some cool video...

Love this thing!

MacDaddy said:
honestly ...... you must not like flying ....... if not then don't do it and put the phantom up or sell it....... Hell I will buy it thenyou can go back to whatever you were doing before this,,,,geeeejus!!!!!!!!.....you should hear yourself .... this place is for men who are looking for some non wife time "selftime" don't act like that!!!!!!!put a smile on and fly bud!!!!! :eek:

May be following a checklist would help to avoid crashing into trees? :)

Joking aside there is usually a balance between safety and fun, personally I tend to be more towards safety, much like the OP.

But I always make sure I have plenty of fun, after I'm happy things are as safe as possible, I guess it comes from a background of climbing, motorcycling and scuba diving where not follow procedure is far more likely to lead to an early grave than just a crunch phantom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the general consensus regarding power lines. I have a nice open field across from me but there is a line of tall pines covering power lines down the one side. The field is probably 100x200yrds.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mustang_52 said:
What is the general consensus regarding power lines. I have a nice open field across from me but there is a line of tall pines covering power lines down the one side. The field is probably 100x200yrds.

All power lines emit some EMI. Most all don't emit enough to be of concern. Plenty of threads and debate but consensus seems to be that you should be OK as long as they are not the large high-power long-range kind and you don't fly right into them.

Damienlovegrove said:
What have I missed?

20 point startup procedure for Phantom 2

1. Check the location is clear from power lines, transmitters and large metal objects
2. Set up FPV monitor on stand and power up RX unit
3. Switch iPhone to airplane mode
4. Spin the Phantom props by hand and check the blade edges
5. Check the battery level indicator on the Phantom
6. Switch on the RC and check S1 and S2 are in uppermost position
7. Switch on and start the Go-Pro camera
8. Check the Go-Pro settings on the LCD and confirm it is recording
9. Place Phantom on a level surface taking care of suitable clearance for Go-Pro
10. Switch on Phantom and wait for flashing green LEDs
11. Check FPV monitor has Go-Pro and iOSD mini output
12. Instigate compass calibration mode by toggling S1 6 times
13. Check LEDs are flashing amber
14. Rotate Phantom in a horizontal axis until LEDs turn green
15. Rotate Phantom vertical axis until LEDs are green
16. Place Phantom back on the level surface checking gimbal/ camera clearance
17. Start the props
18. Lift off and instigate an eye height hover. Check stability. Operate the sticks in turn to check normal flight operation
19. Check gimbal tilt function
20. Go and have fun

1 small edit for #13 - "Check LEDs are solid amber."

Very good checklist for beginners. Yes, this all eventually becomes automatic after a number of flights, but is worth posting as a STICKY IMHO (not sure which forum, tho).

Might consider changing the title to "Start up procedure for P2 with FPV (non-vision)"

You may want to also just place a note on there saying that this procedure is for P2s in 'Phantom' mode rather than NAZAM mode.

Couple of questions:
1. In the general opinion of the group, is it mandatory to do the compass calibration every time you fly?
2. Do the Phantom 1 prop guards fit the Phantom 2?

Thanks in advance!

Fred in Houston

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.