107 Testing

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased any 107 training program that is being offered? If so, was it worth it? I'm all registered but I don't want to waste a bunch of time reading through what looks like a couple thousand pages of material searching for what "may" be on the test. Thanks in advance!

IMHO you're wasting your money. Some of those companies out there are charging way too much! You can find all the documentation online for free. Check out the other 107 thread on this page for links.

That is what I figured but I was thinking maybe they have pilots teaching this stuff and there may be some benefits..
I appreciate the response turbulence!

As a holder of a couple of F.A.A. certificates, I can tell you that you need to save your money and use their (F.A.A.) study guide. Going through the questions and self correcting is in itself a learning experience. The idea is not just to answer the questions correctly on the exam. But it is to actually know what you are supposed to know in order to operate under Part 107.

As a holder of a couple of F.A.A. certificates, I can tell you that you need to save your money and use their (F.A.A.) study guide. Going through the questions and self correcting is in itself a learning experience. The idea is not just to answer the questions correctly on the exam. But it is to actually know what you are supposed to know in order to operate under Part 107.

Thank you for replying. I checked the website and there is a LOT of information as you know. I want to make sure that I am studying the correct materials. I think I have been reading the wrong guide.

I don't have the link, but there is a Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Course that is online, and goes over much of the information you will need for the exam. You can find it on the F.A.A. website.

I don't have the link, but there is a Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Course that is online, and goes over much of the information you will need for the exam. You can find it on the F.A.A. website.

I saw that. I think that is the test for current pilots to get the 107. That test was fairly easy. I just don't want to download and print the wrong materials. I can't study from a computer LOL...Thanks!

I think you are over thinking this. Follow that online course and you will get a certificate of completion. You will also get insight into what you need to study for the test.

Has anyone purchased any 107 training program that is being offered? If so, was it worth it? I'm all registered but I don't want to waste a bunch of time reading through what looks like a couple thousand pages of material searching for what "may" be on the test. Thanks in advance!

I took the test and passed yesterday. It is hard and you need to know everything because you do not know what question they are going to ask you about weather. Will it be what is advection fog or steam fog? Is it poor visibility in stable or unstable air mass.

At least 50 percent dealt with ready a sectional chart:
What is the craf frequency at abc airport- and that is an easy one. Tough ones are the high intensity light towers 6nm from abc air port need to be inspected can you do it. If you can't look at a sectional chart and identify an object it's hight and what air space it is in you are sunk. Now that I scared you 30 percent I knew fro taking online quizzes. I did not take any online course or in person class. This is how I passed. I joined drone u and read through their training manual and I took their 5 quizzes over and over and over until I passed them all with 90 percent. If you get a question wrong then read the explanation and understand why. I also paid 8.99 to take unlimited 120 question quiz from www.usdronetraining.com - mainly operations and weather but straight from faa website. I then signed up for free to john Rupert to get the 40 questions from the FAA questions and answers.

Here are some questions that I got:
Part 107 covers civil or public faa
If cg shifts aft how does this affect flight
Refer to the figure 23 Dallas airport is not operational what frequency do you tune into
Known that weight does not affect stalling
Stable airmass is stratiform clouds poor visibility
Unstable is cumulus and has good visibility
Steam fog is related to icing
Know adm Aeronautical decision making
What is the floor of class c airspace
You need to now floor and ceiling of airspace
If you violate rules it's ok in an emergency and you only need to report it if asked.

Don't worry about reading 2000 pages you can understand the information by taking the quizzes on drone u and elsewhere.

It is a given that you know weather, operations, adm and when you need to report crashes or what to do if you cause moe than 500 damage not including the price of your drone- you report it.

All that said go on YouTube or elsewhere and learn how to read a sectional chart and metar weather reports. A lot of the quizzes I saw mention ovc007 which is overcast to 7000 feet. 18004kt G20 which is wind from 180 degrees at 4 knots gusting to knots. But you reall need to know all the entries on this section. None of the quizzes I took mentioned the first entry is in Zulu time. Or that an entry that has 20/22 means between 2000 2200 in time. I spent about 40 hours and passed barely. Use YouTube for metal weather and how to read a sectional you will not pass without it.

All that said go on YouTube or elsewhere and learn how to read a sectional chart and metar weather reports. A lot of the quizzes I saw mention ovc007 which is overcast to 7000 feet

WRONG

I believe all the courses are overpriced. It's like a gold rush and everyone thinks they are going to get rich. There is the FAA guide, Rupprert law (sp) Sarah Neilson (sp)
And this one.
FAA Part 107 Remote Drone Pilot License Resources | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

These along with searching for specific YouTube videos about charts, airspace, etc.

You are good to go. It's more about the hours you spend studying and understanding concepts than it is about some "ground school" that will get you started. Ground schools can't replace the study hours.

I saw personal comments from real people who only had drone experience, who studied the 3dr thing for several hours and passed.

Don't waste your money on ground school. This is a whole different ball game now. There are many entities out there who want you to pass and engage in commercial drone use. Like 3dr. They sell drones. They want you to pass the test. more and more free information is going to be out there.

The ground schools are going to have to reduce their prices.

My thoughts.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj