107 license

I am a 75 year old 107 licensed drone pilot. I have never really needed the license as my work is recreational but I feel ALL serious pilots should take the test just to understand safety and other issues that can be associated with flying drones. I studied only the FAA online material, l but I would recommend an online or in person course. Now I am learning (by experience, trial-and-error) how to capture and edit drone video. This is my sample video that has integrated 4 trips to a lighthouse over 2 years. I think it takes a 1000 hours to become an expert, but you need to enjoy the learning process each step of the way and just "go for it"! Link to training video:
Nice video. But are you sure that was all within VLOS? ;-)

Nice video. But are you sure that was all within VLOS? ;-)

Drone never more than 1000' from me or my spotter. Most videos like this one are taken one small clip at a time from within 1000' (usually within 500'). The main issue with this video was one case where no-one was present until a bus load emptied. Then I had to return another day to finish that day's work. Best times to shoot: 6-8 AM (after photographers leave; before tourist arrive) and 6-8 PM (after tourist leave and before photographers return).

Drone never more than 1000' from me or my spotter. Most videos like this one are taken one small clip at a time from within 1000' (usually within 500'). The main issue with this video was one case where no-one was present until a bus load emptied. Then I had to return another day to finish that day's work. Best times to shoot: 6-8 AM (after photographers leave; before tourist arrive) and 6-8 PM (after tourist leave and before photographers return).
I was teasing. I know *you* would *never* go beyond VLOS. ;-)

Such a reputation for VLOS monitoring! I do feel it's unfortunate drone pilots need to avoid so many situations. In October, I will be in an Oregon Coast photography workshop. I'll bring the drone ... but, the biggest planning issue is to determine where or when drones can fly. Too bad.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here because this is the one thing I am unclear about. Say a year after you took that video with the intent being as a hobbyist (even though you are Part 107 Certified) someone wants to use that video in furtherance of their business. Are you supposed to refuse? To me, that is the unclear part. As a result, I always try to operate under 107 guidelines even though the video I shoot is not intended for commercial use at the time of shooting. That being said I have yet to fly in airspace that would require me to contact the ATC.

If it came down to going to court over the matter, you would have to prove that at the time the imagery was taken you were a hobbyist and I see someone winning that arguement. I can see this playing out only once though. If by chance you just happen to continue to sell your "hobbyist imagery" eventually they will catch on.

IMO I feel that everyone should have to get a part 107 to fly a UAV. I know I will get flamed for this comment...flame away. If part 336 went away I think it would be a good thing for the UAV community. Also make stricter laws for those who are violating or attempting to cleverly circumnavigate the current laws.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4