1.6v NiZn Rechargable batteries vs of 1.2v NiMH for Tx

Reaction score
Thoughts on using 1.6v NiZn rechargable batteries instead of 1.2v NiMH batteries for the transmitter. Would assume that 1.2v batteries would provide less range than the standard 1.5v alkaline batteries. So the new 1.6v NiZn rechargable batteries would provide a little better range and benifit of rechargables, no. Any issues?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPF ... V3J7V7CH5I

-Scott

These batteries are rated in mWh NOT mAh. They have significantly less juice in them compared to 2500 mAh batteries. That said i am planning to test the in my TX as soon as i get my new gymbal.

sbarton said:
Thoughts on using 1.6v NiZn rechargable batteries instead of 1.2v NiMH batteries for the transmitter. Would assume that 1.2v batteries would provide less range than the standard 1.5v alkaline batteries. So the new 1.6v NiZn rechargable batteries would provide a little better range and benifit of rechargables, no. Any issues?

-Scott

The transmitter input voltage (from the batteries) is regulated before application. As long as the combined battery voltage is greater than the 'low battery' warning level (~4.5vdc) set in the transmitter, the 'range' remains constant. Higher voltage batteries do not provide any extra range.

WyattEarp said:
These batteries are rated in mWh NOT mAh. They have significantly less juice in them compared to 2500 mAh batteries. That said i am planning to test the in my TX as soon as i get my new gymbal.

Says they are rated at 2500mAh

"2pcs 1.6V 2500mAh AA Nizn Rechargeable Batteries

From the Manufacturer:
New battery
High quality and durable
Provides excellent continuous power sources to your device
High energy density, long life battery
This battery has an extra long life for all your battery powered devices
Battery Type: AA battery
Voltage: 1.6v
Capacity: 2500mAh
Material:Nizn Battery
Dimensions: 5 x 1.3 cm(L x Dia)

Includes:
1 x 2pcs 1.6V 2500mAh AA Nizn Rechargeable Batteries"

Don't see mWh anywhere?

-Scott

Look at the image. I have researched these 1.6 volt batteries. They are marketed deceptively. I fell for the deception. Descriptions often say 2500 mAh but they are really 2500 mWh.

sbarton said:

-Scott

No - there would be absolutely zero difference in range. The TX is pegged at a certain RF mW output level and changing the batteries will not alter that. Your range will also NOT decrease as your TX cells deplete as the battery warning will start and ultimately TX cut-off will occur before the rated RF output alters.

Gotcha, I did see that they are not actually 2500 mAh, but ~2450 mAh. Reviews say they last similar to other high end NiMh rechargeables but you can't recharge the NiZn as many times as NiMh. So only reason to go with the NiZn would be due to higher voltage, but if that doesn't matter for us, than NiMh batteries seem to be better since they can be charged more, resulting in longer lifespan.

-Scott

Despite what the description says, the label on the battery in the picture shows mWh. Dividing 2500 mWh by 1.6 volts results in an approximate mAh rating of 1,562 (not 2450).

That's why WyattEarp correctly states they are marketed deceptively.

It also says for "high drain" applications of which the Tx is not.
It's about 100 mA.

I have read they begin to self-discharge more rapidly as they are used.

Eneloops are just the opposite and likely a better choice for a rechargeable choice.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl