You were worrying about getting motors wet....

Reaction score
Haven't been around here all that much recently, working gets in the way as well as other interests.

I have been playing with underwater ROVs with the OpenROV. It's a bit primitive compared to the DJI stuff but it's open sourced and easy to modify and play with.

The real kicker is that use standard old brushless DC motors that are completely exposed to the salt water. Just sitting out there. All they suggest doing is hosing it down with fresh water, spraying with WD40 and an a fogging oil. I get the impression that they don't last forever, but hell, at $10.00 a pop, they don't need to.

So, moral is, don't sweat the raindrops so much. Recall also, in the olden days of PCB construction, we used to put finished boards in a dishwasher to clean off the flux.

Now, the cameras ... not so much.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
How did you get one? Part of the company? You must have the DIY one.

Haven't been around here all that much recently, working gets in the way as well as other interests.

I have been playing with underwater ROVs with the OpenROV. It's a bit primitive compared to the DJI stuff but it's open sourced and easy to modify and play with.

The real kicker is that use standard old brushless DC motors that are completely exposed to the salt water. Just sitting out there. All they suggest doing is hosing it down with fresh water, spraying with WD40 and an a fogging oil. I get the impression that they don't last forever, but hell, at $10.00 a pop, they don't need to.

So, moral is, don't sweat the raindrops so much. Recall also, in the olden days of PCB construction, we used to put finished boards in a dishwasher to clean off the flux.

Now, the cameras ... not so much.

I see a point in what you said.

How did you get one? Part of the company? You must have the DIY one.
Bought a 2.8 OpenROV - the kit. It's been ah, interesting. But I've wanted to play around with underwater cameras to take pictures of whales and other stuff to complement the UAV shots. You learn a lot by putting together something. But it is nowhere near as sophisticated at the DJI stuff.

I am a little surprised they have not come up with a consumer level underwater ROV. They have most of the pieces already. Might not be enough of a market to deal with.

Thanks for posting. Good point about the water factor on the motors. I have been watching these ROV's. I thought about the Powerray. Just don't like the cord on these type of devices.. Also, winter here, and it will be interesting to see what the come up with this summer. Do you think the 100 meter ones, have an edge over the 100 foot ones? I realize a lot of other factors come into play. Even when I was taking divine lessons, most of us never when over 100 feet. It seems like 100 feet would be good for most lakes, up here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3