WSJ- Video of drone delivery in New Zealand- 12 prop drone!

Reactions: captainmilehigh
That’s really wild. The winch system is very cool too. And as always there are always a few who don’t like the noise, or don’t like the camera.

They’re just jealous they don’t have one.......or have the fresh cup of coffee that just flew overhead. Wahhhh boo-hoo.

I wonder if they do stop-offs enroute to pick me up a donut to go with my coffee? Modern technology at work. Gotta love it!

Thanks for sharing Ian. [emoji106]

I agree with the guy in the video , ridiculous ! who's going to order a cup of coffee and have it delivered by a drone ? the costs alone would be over the top . i really think the package delivery by drones is a fantasy in the real world . yes they can do it but it won't be profitable or efficient

I agree with the guy in the video , ridiculous ! who's going to order a cup of coffee and have it delivered by a drone ? the costs alone would be over the top . i really think the package delivery by drones is a fantasy in the real world . yes they can do it but it won't be profitable or efficient
Yip it is little over the top,the air traffic would most likely ground our drones if this happens,incident reports would flood the news from near miss and crashes, the Jetsons mayby ok but deliverys I duno

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Yep. All it would take is for the drone to encounter a bird strike on the way to the drop point. Then there would be a falling drone, AND a hot cup of coffee landing on someone’s head. Not very feasible.

Liability would be high, and profits low.

Like Ian said,......maybe in a ‘Jetson’s’ world, but not in this day and time.

Are those tiny props to get the highest most offensive sound emission to keep the donkeys who spend all day trying to find one in the sky to complain about occupied???

How many people on this forum frequently buzz their neighbourhoods and how many flights have caused an injury or property damage? These 12 prop drones probably had a lot of inbuilt redundancy and are likely significantly more reliable than the toys we fly.

What we should fear is recreational use being severely restricted to make way for these airborne delivery services.

I think we can be resigned to the fact this is the way of the future though.

Are those tiny props to get the highest most offensive sound emission to keep the donkeys who spend all day trying to find one in the sky to complain about occupied???

How many people on this forum frequently buzz their neighbourhoods and how many flights have caused an injury or property damage? These 12 prop drones probably had a lot of inbuilt redundancy and are likely significantly more reliable than the toys we fly.

What we should fear is recreational use being severely restricted to make way for these airborne delivery services.

I think we can be resigned to the fact this is the way of the future though.
Never will it be profitable . Drones have a place and thier uses growing but package delivery will never be practical nor can it be done with in FAA guide lines

Never will it be profitable . Drones have a place and thier uses growing but package delivery will never be practical nor can it be done with in FAA guide lines
You might not have thought about this much. It should be obvious, as history has repeatedly demonstrated- most processes that are of a repetitive nature can be implemented cheaper and with higher efficiency by automation and applied technology.

Clearly it would likely prove difficult for drone delivery to compete with the likes of DHL and UPS in the current model however many will pay a premium for faster delivery. Imagine what a courier would need to charge for delivery within the hour.

As for food and beverage delivery UBER eats, deliveroo and others charge the supplier 30% of the order cost while billing the customer also. The third party feasibility study for the operation subject of the post determined annual savings of $9m per annum just for the small detail area. Businesses will need to incorporate the service to keep up with their competitors.

No doubt community interest and stakeholder lobbying will drive regulators to develop legislation which will allow for these services.

Last edited:
You might not have thought about this much. It should be obvious, as history has repeatedly demonstrated- most processes that are of a repetitive nature can be implemented cheaper and with higher efficiency by automation and applied technology.

Clearly it would likely prove difficult for drone delivery to compete with the likes of DHL and UPS in the current model however many will pay a premium for faster delivery. Imagine what a courier would need to charge for delivery within the hour.

As for food and beverage delivery UBER eats, deliveroo and others charge the supplier 30% of the order cost while billing the customer also. The third party feasibility study for the operation subject of the post determined annual savings of $9m per annum just for the small detail area. Businesses will need to incorporate the service to keep up with their competitors.

No doubt community interest and stakeholder lobbying will drive regulators to develop legislation which will allow for these services.
Ok so now jump into the future . millions of drones buzzing the sky's dropping off packages and hot coffee for everyone , every drone needs an operator , so no savings there , birds strikes would be unavoidable crashing drones all over the place, mechanical malfunctions and the like . not a future i want to see, drones buzzing about every where . Drones diffently have a place package delivery is not one of them . need something right away a driver will get it there faster , need it even faster learn to plan ahead .

Ok so now jump into the future . millions of drones buzzing the sky's dropping off packages and hot coffee for everyone , every drone needs an operator , so no savings there , birds strikes would be unavoidable crashing drones all over the place, mechanical malfunctions and the like . not a future i want to see, drones buzzing about every where . Drones diffently have a place package delivery is not one of them . need something right away a driver will get it there faster , need it even faster learn to plan ahead .
The sUAV in the article can do 70+mph. No driver will be there faster. The operators will be licenced and regulated.

Why might you expect the flights need to be flown by individual operators? They are autonomous.

As to failures consider how reliable the DJI toy drones we fly are- these UAV will have multiple failure modes covered by inbuilt redundancies.

It’s not a question of if- more likely when despite what the naysayers might believe or hope for.

Reactions: lmmavrick
like i said millions of drones in the sky's autonomous flights more to go wrong . bird strikes up the wazoo . not flying no 70 mph with packages hanging below , plenty of dji drones crashing and burning or flying off . you can wish in one hand and crap in another and see which gets filled first . no way i would want to live in a city but a city with thousands of drones flying around would be even worse . i agree to dissagree with you about drone package delivery , Flying out of sight is also against FAA 107 rules so the number of spoters needed to watch a flight would be crazy

like i said millions of drones in the sky's autonomous flights more to go wrong . bird strikes up the wazoo . not flying no 70 mph with packages hanging below , plenty of dji drones crashing and burning or flying off . you can wish in one hand and crap in another and see which gets filled first . no way i would want to live in a city but a city with thousands of drones flying around would be even worse . i agree to dissagree with you about drone package delivery , Flying out of sight is also against FAA 107 rules so the number of spoters needed to watch a flight would be crazy
It would be ridiculous to expect millions of sUAS delivering in any particular area- obviously there will be licencing and regulation with the intent of maintaining safe operation and control of airspace.

What the FAA107 currently allows likely has little relavence. Our laws are similar as are those of most administrations given collaboration between the legislators. With respect to the Australian Trial subject of the article our aviation authority granted special exemptions to allow operation within 30m of people and autonomous flight outside VLOS. Prior to granting the exemptions our Aviation Authority were satisfied that any safety hazards that might present as a result of the operation were of very low consequence.

Anyway- thank you for your vulgar analogy however it has no application here. I am not wishing for anything, simply considering the klikliehood of delivery by Drone becoming a future reality based on known facts.

The trial subject of the article concludes in February this year with the operation extending to a significantly larger area. Time will tell obviously tell however it seems delkivery by drone is a future reality.

it will be nothing more then limited flights , small pockets here and there and never amount to anything . just gimmicks like Amazon has done . it's not going to be a big package mover and there for such a small place in the market it won't hardly be a blip on the radar . not what i call a thriving biz , keep wishing

it will be nothing more then limited flights , small pockets here and there and never amount to anything . just gimmicks like Amazon has done . it's not going to be a big package mover and there for such a small place in the market it won't hardly be a blip on the radar . not what i call a thriving biz , keep wishing
This isn't about wishing, I don't know how you keep getting there. You are expressing your views on something that is already a reality- its happening. I suspect it to be obvious to most this is a long way from ridiculous fantasy (as you put it)- no blind faith required.

Earlier you have said it can't be efficient, practical or profitable and that the Aviation Authorities won't allow it. I don't think there is any question with respect to efficiency or practicality. We know regulations can be (and frequently are) amended to allow for new technologies. Profitability remains to be seen of course.

Lets imagine, as you have now suggested- drone delivery might only ever amount to limited flights and small pockets. You may well be right, you probably are at least for the immediate future. Thats certainly how it appears. It would seem that is where it may well prove a commercial reality for a limited range of products. Nobody is saying all modes of delivery might be replaced by sUAS- that does seem silly, at least with the current tech.

This isn't about wishing, I don't know how you keep getting there. You are expressing your views on something that is already a reality- its happening. I suspect it to be obvious to most this is a long way from ridiculous fantasy (as you put it)- no blind faith required.

Earlier you have said it can't be efficient, practical or profitable and that the Aviation Authorities won't allow it. I don't think there is any question with respect to efficiency or practicality. We know regulations can be (and frequently are) amended to allow for new technologies. Profitability remains to be seen of course.

Lets imagine, as you have now suggested- drone delivery might only ever amount to limited flights and small pockets. You may well be right, you probably are at least for the immediate future. Thats certainly how it appears. It would seem that is where it may well prove a commercial reality for a limited range of products. Nobody is saying all modes of delivery might be replaced by sUAS- that does seem silly, at least with the current tech.
good luck with your hopes i don't see it as practical in anyway . though there are hundreds of other sound uses for drones package delivery is not one of them . this is my opinion no need to keep pushing it i don't see it working in a commercial since . though i did see someone do a pizza delivery with a drone that was on the news . costly pizza and of course the coffee being delivered on the video posted here . expensive coffee

good luck with your hopes i don't see it as practical in anyway . though there are hundreds of other sound uses for drones package delivery is not one of them . this is my opinion no need to keep pushing it i don't see it working in a commercial since . though i did see someone do a pizza delivery with a drone that was on the news . costly pizza and of course the coffee being delivered on the video posted here . expensive coffee
Single delivery is expected to be in the single digits, less than $10.... That is now. I’m not pushing an opinion, I am sharing reality. Have a quick read here if you are so inclined to see where this is at https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...rvice-will-actually-work-20181115-p50g4t.html. The article is at the start of the trial, they are well advanced now and moving to an expanded operation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj