Wooden props ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 62848
  • Start date
No doubt its safe to use DJI original props. But sometimes we want to get extra fun when trying something else within the safety limits. There is nothing wrong in trying something that gives us kick but assess fun vs risks before attempting such things.

I had modified my props by attaching vertical sound barriers at the end tips of the blades and carried some experiments. Its fun to try new things based on our sound calculations.

If you use this pasta together with the German beech wood propellers, you will undoubtedly fly faster.

View attachment 95510
If you fly faster n faster...That really means :......" The harder they hit " ! the pieces of your once sweet flying drone will need picked UP with tweezers and put in a few dozen baggies as the tears roll down your cheeks !

No doubt its safe to use DJI original props. But sometimes we want to get extra fun when trying something else within the safety limits. There is nothing wrong in trying something that gives us kick but assess fun vs risks before attempting such things.

I had modified my props by attaching vertical sound barriers at the end tips of the blades and carried some experiments. Its fun to try new things based on our sound calculations.
And during all that stuff hung on the tips of your props....just how in the world did you maintain a good balance....did they look like the modern jets "wing lets"....tiny extensions of the wings like the tips were bent vertical !

I had modified my props by attaching vertical sound barriers at the end tips of the blades and carried some experiments. Its fun to try new things based on our sound

Interesting,would heating and bending prop tips work the same ? Would changing prop ends cause loss of lift ?,or create drag

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seriously looked at these propellers but still have some doubts. Propellers of beech wood are more sensitive to dents (for example by insects) and the humidity of the environment.
This means that these propellers must be conditioned better than the drone. I think it would be an improvement if propellers are made of aluminum.

And ... forget about that polishing paste. With a non-aggressive household cleaner you can keep your drone clean.

Maybe, I should buy a jar of beeswax, and put it on my wooden blade............lol.

Except, that statement is wrong in two ways: 1. this is an aerial photography drone, not a performance drone. If you're willing to spend $60, you could put that money toward a performance drone. The Traxxas Aton will do flips and 60+ mph, and you can buy a used one for $200. A much better investment than $60 that does nothing. Why nothing? Because: 2. More importantly, these drones are not even close to limited by the props. They are limited by DJI's programming, meaning that even if the stock props do have some limitations due to the intrinsic flex, you're never going to see the theoretical difference because you'll still have identical horizontal and vertical rates. In fact, if these weigh more than stock, you will actually only have the negative benefits of wooden props: decreased battery life.

So, you're throwing away money for benefits you will never see. There's no, "Well, according to this theoretical aspect..." Nope, doesn't apply when your primary limitation is software-based speed control.

What were your results?

I can't image there were any improvements, but I'm open-minded.

S I M P L E Take them "DJI Props" out of the bag..spin on..snug slightly AND GOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo FLY !
And Be (((((Happy)))))) ! In the States less then 6 dollars a bag of two..... one CW and One CCW !

What were your results?

I can't image there were any improvements, but I'm open-minded.

My end pieces were not glued properly, one came out quickly and tests failed. Didn't try again.

Technically they should reduce the noise if designed properly.

Helicopter blades on a great many models improve performance (and reduce noise) around the tip by sweeping the tip back. The constantly changing air flow over a rotor blade in flight is significantly different from the airflow over a swept wing airliner where you find vertical winglets, and not for noise reduction.

Last edited:
Helicopter blades on a great many models improve performance (and reduce noise) around the tip by sweeping the tip back. The constantly changing air flow over a rotor blade in flight is significantly different from the airflow over a swept wing airliner where you find vertical winglets, and not for noise reduction.
Wonder if the AH-64 Black hawks have that tip feature ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak