Why Drones Suck for Spying Article

why did quad copters ever get refered to as drones?? a chinook is still a helicopter, why does having 4 rotors ( or 3 or 6 or 8 ) suddenly turn into NOT a helicopter???

isky172 said:
Good article/blog. I wrote something similar about a month ago:

"Ok, listen up class. This one is for the critics of these "toys". Here are some important notes:

1) A "drone" costs millions of dollars. A "toy" costs thousands. Neither owners want a "crash" of any sort. Most all care is taken to avoid such incidents.
2) Despite your narcissistic tendencies, the "toy" is not interested in peeking through your bedroom window. In fact, with any level of hearing you'd notice it before it gets within 50 yards of wherever you are - indoors or out. So no...it's not out to get "You" on camera. It's likely to be much more interested in the tree or geological phenomena you're standing next to.
3) The camera on one can see from Space, the camera for the other can't see any remarkable details outside 20 feet.
4) If you see the "toy" version and don't say "Cool! I want one", you're weird....(or you're saying "Mine's on order".)
5) If you see the "toy" version and say "Quick Marge, hide! It's out to get us!", go back to prepper school. You've missed something (i.e., you need to go over the aircraft recognition chart again.)
6) A "drone" should never be flown over our own people. A "toy" overhead should make you want to break out your best dance moves.
7) The "drone" can be armed with weapons. The "toy" is armed with a limited flight battery, limited range, and (most likely) a smiley sticker cause it's cute.

To summarize, here are visuals showing the "difference":

"

Lol could not have said it better myself. I think your kinda preaching to the quire but you make good points in a funny way. But as others have mentioned here the the name has kinda already stuck as funny as i think the term is i find myself using it as well especially when talking with "civilians" lol

I guess when our community starts to look at these as toys (however potentially LETHAL) we may be able to tone down the rhetoric "they are gonna take my drone talk" :)

Ian, your quote is absolutely perfect. Everyone facing a "hostile" town council should use it:

"Using a Phantom to spy on someone would be like putting on a clown suit to maintain a low profile." Ian Wood

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj