White Villages Chapter IV - Andalucía Spain - Málaga - Ronda

Reaction score
Website
discoverspainvideo.wordpress.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The ancient city of Ronda in Spain, in the province of Malaga, is one of the most visited cities in the autonomous community of Andalusia, as it stands out for its urban planning as well as for its landscape and history.

Undoubtedly, the most surprising thing about Ronda is that its urban area is divided in two by the gorge of the Tajo de Ronda, which is more than 150 meters deep. To join both sides was created the New Bridge, the symbol of the city, from where you can see the crests of the mountains of Grazalema and Las Nieves, and white villages nestled among wooded slopes. The bridge, which was completed in the late eighteenth century, took more than 40 years to build. Today it serves not only to connect the old part with the new, but also as a viewpoint. Next to it is the Parador, from where you can also get wonderful views. There are other bridges that cross the city: the Arab, which was built in the fourteenth century, and the Old Bridge, which only consists of an arch of about 10 meters in diameter.

Beyond the bridge, Ronda's old town stands out for its old quarter which, as it could not be otherwise, has been declared an Asset of Cultural Interest. Many peoples inhabited these lands, such as the Celts, Phoenicians, Romans and Arabs, although they were finally reconquered by the Catholic Monarchs. However, in this area of the city of medieval layout we still observe Arab reminiscences.

Yes, the old town of Ronda is tremendously beautiful, but there are more areas of the city that are also worth visiting. From the neighborhood of San Francisco, one of the three parts of the city, you can see the Almocabar Gate, built in the thirteenth century, which connects with the old town. In addition, you can also contemplate the Arab wall and visit the Arab Baths, which are very well preserved. We should also mention the Convent of San Francisco, which only preserves the church. Finally, we have to talk about the neighborhood of El Mercadillo, the most modern area, which also houses interesting points of interest, such as the Parador de Turismo; the bullring of Ronda, one of the oldest in the world; the Alameda Park; the Vicente Espinel Theater and a large number of churches.

• Love
Reactions: 3putts
well that's pretty impressive. Love those bridges by the way. Talk about engineering.

Reactions: DiscoverSpain
Thank you for posting the beautiful video of this beautiful city.

Sorry for taking so long to reply: I've been totally disconnected for a while.

Thank you very much for your nice comment, you make my day!

If you like cities of this kind, keep an eye on the YouTube channel

well that's pretty impressive. Love those bridges by the way. Talk about engineering.

Curiously, this bridge, which is incorrectly called the New Bridge, should be called the "Second New Bridge of Ronda" because, a few decades earlier, on the same site, there was an earlier bridge which collapsed six years after its construction, taking with it fifty lives and hundreds of tons of stone to the bottom of the ravine. That tragic accident and the fear of another failure led to the design of the one that stands today.

That was at 1735. A single arch flew from one end of the Tagus to the other, spanning the 35 metres that separated its supports. But what did it mean in the first half of the 18th century to build a bridge of that magnitude? It meant setting a milestone in the history of bridges, surpassing practically all the bridges on the planet, with the exception of half a dozen cases dotted around the geography of the ancient Roman Empire. It was too ambitious for its time and unfortunately, it collapsed.

Thanks!!

Reactions: Sky Wombat
Wish we had scenery like that near Chicago….
Beautiful film.
Sorry for taking so long to reply: I've been totally disconnected for a while.

You know that everyone is attracted to what they don't have: I wish I could shoot Chicago ;)

Thanks for watch and comment!!

274CB7E5-2849-46A7-9522-1D13188BB80F.jpeg

It has its moments…

Let Me Know if you ever get a chance. I’ll take you around.

Attachments

• 2F5D3DE2-4AD7-4A73-94E3-68EB99F1BB45.jpeg
    2F5D3DE2-4AD7-4A73-94E3-68EB99F1BB45.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 60

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31