Which Apple iPad - iPad 5th Gen or iPad mini3 ?

Reaction score
Trying to choose between -

iPad mini 3 - 32gb, wifi & cellular
and
iPad 5th generation - 9.7", 32gb, wifi & cellular.

I understand neither is the latest and greatest.
Price on these is in budget.
Size between the two is similar, not a big deal to me.
Want to pick one of these up and start practicing with some mapping apps.
May upgrade to a iPad Pro at a later date, for now, one of these lower end models is going to have to do.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Btw -This for my Phantom 4 Pro Plus. Still have the PLUS controller and will keep to use as needed. Purchased the Std Pro controller to use with other apps.

Hi CR125Honda

OK first the caveat. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything when I remark that apple has it's strong fan base and even the individual products each have their own staunch supporters as well so you can often stir up a little controversy along the way.

Although I don't work in the field anymore I am a qualified Telecommunications Technician so know my way around the hardware. I have 12 mobile devices in the household between the Wife the kids and I. The first 11 are all Android devices of one type or another because being the family "tech guy" I'm the one who does all the work keeping them running and configured and updated and I don't like "walled gardens" so there for I'm not a big apple guy. The hardware is fantastic, I just am not a big fan of the operating systems or the stranglehold they have over apps and what you can do. I mention this to show I don't have any agenda to push.

I got into R.P.A.s and eventually certified as a commercial remote pilot and started a business which uses DJI aircraft exclusively. I tried all of the different android devices I have around the place and found each had an issue of one sort or another (mostly app drop outs). I did my research and found for ultimate application reliability really apple is the way to go (I'm leaving Crystal sky out of the discussion here as you are on a budget before anyone says anything). The reasons why apple is the best choice we'll leave out as you're already decided on apple which IMTAO is a good choice for DJI products.

So I decided to do the dirty deed and buy my one and only apple device to operate the business aircraft. Not being an apple guy I had no leaning towards one product over the other. It just had to work and last long enough to be a good investment.

My first impulse was a Mini4 for form factor and size, as usual I did a lot of research and found in a number of forums that over the last year as the Go 4 app was released and over time has included more and more features there has been an increasing number of people experiencing problems running a Mini4. It's a 4 year old Design and runs the A8 processor so it can't be totally unexpected I suppose.

A lot of people who use their Mini4 ONLY for flying apps seems to be getting along OK still, but people who load a lot of applications and use it for other purposes are starting to report issues with frame latency / choppy video and heat related issues. Do a web search by all means. I don't expect you to take my word for it. I wouldn't.

Even if you are only going to use it for flight related apps the fact that there seems to be so little head room left in the device sort of makes me wonder what happens when future releases of the Go 4 app with extra features come on the scene. The Mini 3 (from memory) has an A7 which is even older and would make me more cautious if I wanted to be sure of some longevity.

In any event, I needed total reliability and I didn't want to be buying a device now and buying another one 6 or 10 months down the track again so I bought a 2018 9.7" iPad over the Mini4 and put up with the holders and so forth I had to buy to make it practical, and honestly not being so young I do appreciate the extra screen real estate, the price was roughly the same anyway so that was not the driving factor.

A recent report has it that they expect an updated Mini5 about mid year which I am sure will be really great but it was not around when I needed to buy and I suspect the price when released may be an issue for you since you are on a tight budget.

Even a 5th Gen iPad sports an A9 processor so on that basis alone and for the reasons above if you want a longer service life I see the 5th Generation 9.7 as being your choice.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: sarniac
I completely agree with Ari. The 9.7 iPad is the way to go. Hopefully you can afford the 6th gen iPad. It has transformed my flying experience after my iPad mini 2 which just couldn’t handle the pressure! The 6th gen iPad has A10 which is a big leap over the A9. Good luck.

I have a Phantom 3 Professional and a Mavic Pro Platinum. I have used a Ipad Mini 3 for years with no issues whatsoever. Recently I upgraded to a Ipad Mini 4 and have had no problems with that either. The apps have always worked very well. Preference in ones I have worked with are for the 9.7" although my Mini 3 was 7.9" and was a little easier to put in my backpack.

9.7 it has plenty of room around the edges for the info such as distance, etc. and then easily seen view of what camera is seeing.

I have a ipad pro 2nd gen 10.5 for sale if u want dm me we can talk about it. I used it mainly for flying but looking into crystal sky now so let me know

Hi CR125Honda

OK first the caveat. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything when I remark that apple has it's strong fan base and even the individual products each have their own staunch supporters as well so you can often stir up a little controversy along the way.

Although I don't work in the field anymore I am a qualified Telecommunications Technician so know my way around the hardware. I have 12 mobile devices in the household between the Wife the kids and I. The first 11 are all Android devices of one type or another because being the family "tech guy" I'm the one who does all the work keeping them running and configured and updated and I don't like "walled gardens" so there for I'm not a big apple guy. The hardware is fantastic, I just am not a big fan of the operating systems or the stranglehold they have over apps and what you can do. I mention this to show I don't have any agenda to push.

I got into R.P.A.s and eventually certified as a commercial remote pilot and started a business which uses DJI aircraft exclusively. I tried all of the different android devices I have around the place and found each had an issue of one sort or another (mostly app drop outs). I did my research and found for ultimate application reliability really apple is the way to go (I'm leaving Crystal sky out of the discussion here as you are on a budget before anyone says anything). The reasons why apple is the best choice we'll leave out as you're already decided on apple which IMTAO is a good choice for DJI products.

So I decided to do the dirty deed and buy my one and only apple device to operate the business aircraft. Not being an apple guy I had no leaning towards one product over the other. It just had to work and last long enough to be a good investment.

My first impulse was a Mini4 for form factor and size, as usual I did a lot of research and found in a number of forums that over the last year as the Go 4 app was released and over time has included more and more features there has been an increasing number of people experiencing problems running a Mini4. It's a 4 year old Design and runs the A8 processor so it can't be totally unexpected I suppose.

A lot of people who use their Mini4 ONLY for flying apps seems to be getting along OK still, but people who load a lot of applications and use it for other purposes are starting to report issues with frame latency / choppy video and heat related issues. Do a web search by all means. I don't expect you to take my word for it. I wouldn't.

Even if you are only going to use it for flight related apps the fact that there seems to be so little head room left in the device sort of makes me wonder what happens when future releases of the Go 4 app with extra features come on the scene. The Mini 3 (from memory) has an A7 which is even older and would make me more cautious if I wanted to be sure of some longevity.

In any event, I needed total reliability and I didn't want to be buying a device now and buying another one 6 or 10 months down the track again so I bought a 2018 9.7" iPad over the Mini4 and put up with the holders and so forth I had to buy to make it practical, and honestly not being so young I do appreciate the extra screen real estate, the price was roughly the same anyway so that was not the driving factor.

A recent report has it that they expect an updated Mini5 about mid year which I am sure will be really great but it was not around when I needed to buy and I suspect the price when released may be an issue for you since you are on a tight budget.

Even a 5th Gen iPad sports an A9 processor so on that basis alone and for the reasons above if you want a longer service life I see the 5th Generation 9.7 as being your choice.

Regards
Ari
Ari,
Thank you so much for writing up that detailed reply.
I like the analysis / thought process.
Found a 9.7" 5th gen iPad (Wifi/Cellular) locally.
Will get a 2018 version or iPad Pro if needed.
I've been flying with the Pro Plus RC.
Will be interesting to see how this goes.

And thanks also to RFP, dd337, and Mr. T for your help and advice.

Regards, Ken

Ari,
Thank you so much for writing up that detailed reply.
I like the analysis / thought process.
Found a 9.7" 5th gen iPad (Wifi/Cellular) locally.

You're most welcome Ken, I'm always happy to be able to contribute positively.

In my opinion the A9 processor in the 5th generation is going to have enough headroom to see you through any likely updates in the app with something in reserve for at least another year especially if you dedicate it as a flight device. If you get it at a good price point then it's good value.

All the best with your flying
Regards
Ari

Well said Decado.

I fly a P4P. I purchased a iPad Mini 4 2018 model when I first bought the drone. (seemed like the big hype back then, everyone was pushing to use the mini 4)

Now with all the updates to DJI Go4, the mini 4 gives me constant issues (screen lagging, blacking out, disconnecting from the aircraft, grayish pixelated areas show up on the screen)

I use my iPhone X with the drone, all issues gone. Works absolutely perfect. It has to be the processor in the Mini 4 just doesn't have enough to run the new updated version of DJI Go 4.

Unfortunate for me, now I have about $500 in an iPad Mini 4 and a Otter Box defender case laying on the shelf.....

My plan is to update to the new iPad Pro 9.7. I have heard alot of positive feedback from them.

Well said Decado.

Thanks mate,. it doesn't make me happy to be right for your sake though.

If you have your heart set on an iPad pro then go to it and don't let the following dissuade you, if on the other hand you are buying simply (or primarily) as a device to fly with the Pro may not be the best choice. I use the 9.7" 2018 iPad and it''s a great value machine but there is no doubting that it makes the controller even on my P4P V2.0 very top heavy and it really needs the harness for long periods of use. The Pro is heavier again.

Unless I am going to be flying for more than 20 minutes or need the extra screen real estate for better vision in an obstructed area I will just use the iPhone 8 plus rather than take the time to put together my Lifthor holder and strap in to my harness.

Although the iPad is less than a year old I am probably going to pull the trigger on a 2019 mini shortly as it is the perfect compromise and it does use the A12 processor which is light years ahead of the Mini 4 and even the iPad 2018. it also supports Apple pencil if you are going to use it for other purposes as well.

Regards
Ari

Selling a ipad pro 10.5 2nd gen if any of ya interested its posted on the classifieds

Can’t speak for the mini but I just bought a 6th gen iPad. Had a 5th gen and was happy with it also. Spring for the 4G version as it has built in GPS chip that is active whether or not the cell service for the iPad is active. Both the 5th&6th gens have newer processor than a mini. Big screen is nice too!

Can’t speak for the mini but I just bought a 6th gen iPad

Yup, that's the one I have. It has never had an app crash (not once) and works faultlessly. (I'm in no way an Apple guy btw.)

Spring for the 4G version as it has built in GPS chip that

That's always true for Apple devices or at least it has been so far. Unlike Android devices the GPS module is integrated on the cellular chip.

Both the 5th&6th gens have newer processor than a mini.

The Mini 4 is almost 4 years old now and runs the A8 processor which is what was in the iPhone 6. The iPad gen6 and iPhone 7 series has the A10 Fusion processor, the iPhone 8 series and iPhone X got the A11 and the iPad mini 2019 like the Iphone XR and XS has the A12 which is a claimed 70% faster than the A10 in the iPad gen6 so it should be a real little beast.

Can’t speak for the mini but I just bought a 6th gen iPad. Had a 5th gen and was happy with it also.

So Ken you couldn't resist eh? :D

I can't see you being sorry as long as the extra size doesn't worry you. I couldn't help myself either. I needed a dedicated phone for the business so since my original reply I picked up an iPhone 8 plus for the business and to act as a backup if I drop the iPad. I find I use it on short jobs for convenience as I said above.

Yes, I chose an iPhone 8 series over an iPhone X series. It has certain features that make it better suited to R.P.A. operations and was a conscious choice, I could have had an XR for the same price but that's not the topic of the thread and is a discussion for another time.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers