Want to upgrade iPad, will back-up retain older version of Go?

Reaction score
I have a dedicated iPad Mini2 running an older version of DJI Go and it's nagging me to update. I have resisted for almost 2 years as it works just fine and I've read too many horror stories on here about things going tits up after updating 'Go'.
But the Mini2's display is a bit dim for outdoors so I have now bought a Mini3.
My question is: If I backup my old Mini 2 to iTunes, then sync up my new Mini3, will it install the older version of 'Go' or will it insist on installing the latest incarnation?
The old iPad is running iOS 10.3.2, the new(er) one 11.2.2.

But the Mini2's display is a bit dim for outdoors so I have now bought a Mini3.

As far as I know, the Mini 3 is exactly the same as the Mini 2 for viewing angles, contrast and brightness.
The Mini 4 is where we saw a big leap in brightness and reflectivity reduction for outdoor viewing using one of the mini iPads.

Yeah, the iPad Mini 3 is exactly the same as the iPad Mini 2 other than the Touch ID on the iPad Mini 3.

As noted above, if you are looking to "upgrade" you would need to look at the iPad Mini 4.

That said, if you restore the new iPad from the backup from the old one, the same version should be retained.

Hi guys. Well here are the answers.
You had me sh*tting myself having possibly paid a bit too much for the Mini3, but it's a 64GB cellular one so better than the older one. Happily the display is noticeably brighter than the 2's; if the 4's is brighter still it might be worth considering in the summer.
Unfortunately restoring the newer one from the backup of the older iPad didn't have the desired effect of retining the older version of 'Go'. Apparently "All app's are up to date". Bummer.
I did see elsewhere on this forum a long-winded method of tricking the iPad into installing an older version. Perhaps when I have a spare day-and-a-half I will have a go at it.
Weather here not exactly conducive to flying ATM anyway.

Happily the display is noticeably brighter than the 2's; Weather here not exactly conducive to flying ATM anyway.
the 2 and the 3 have the exact same screen how are you seeing a brighter display? i use a 2 so this is interesting to me

the weasther by me has been so bad also seems like a new snow storm every other day and then rain when its not snowing

Yeah, the iPad Mini 3 is exactly the same as the iPad Mini 2 other than the Touch ID on the iPad Mini 3.

As noted above, if you are looking to "upgrade" you would need to look at the iPad Mini 4.

That said, if you restore the new iPad from the backup from the old one, the same version should be retained.

That’s not how backups work. When you backup and restore, either to same unit or new one, all that is backed up is your data and the app data. The apps are not backed up. When you restore to a new device it then goes and grabs the app from Apple. And it will always be whatever the latest version.

There is one other idea. A program called iMaxing will allow you to pull apps and save them and then restore them. That’s the only option.

Reactions: TrevorTron
That’s not how backups work. When you backup and restore, either to same unit or new one, all that is backed up is your data and the app data. The apps are not backed up. When you restore to a new device it then goes and grabs the app from Apple. And it will always be whatever the latest version.

There is one other idea. A program called iMaxing will allow you to pull apps and save them and then restore them. That’s the only option.

I had a feeling this was the case. Unfortunatley this post came one day too late- I just erased the old iPad yesterday!!
I had previously seen a different work-around elsewhere on this forum. > HERE <
It looks like a long and complicated process but probably worth the effort to get to the decent older versions of Go.
Weather still crap so plenty time to give it a go.

Reactions: ravedog
Well I fired up the bird today to take some pictures and video of a new construction site near my home. I was pleasantly surprised that I was not asked to sign in to DJI. The Go version on the new(er) iPad is 2.6.0.
The display is still a bit on the dim side though, far dimmer than my old Samsung Tab S2 which sadly died recently.
I thought I'd try the "iOS" experience, can't say I noticed any difference.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl