Traveling overseas is it illegal to not put the batteries into a lipo safe bag?

Reaction score
I am going to travel over seas and I was wondering if it is mandatory that I buy a liposafe bag or can I just wrap it in shrink wrap and put it into a ziplock bag?
If anybody has any experience I would greatly appreciate the feedback.[emoji3]

I recently travelled to New Zealand and Australia. I put my batteries in a zip lock baggie and kept them in my carry on bag. I had no problems.

Not sure about over seas and it also may be dependent on specific airlines. I was allowed to carry my batteries in the case with with drone, just couldn't have the batteries installed on drone. Airline also stated that lipo batteries can not go in checked bagged area. I assumed it because of the lack of pressure in the under belly of plane.

The luggage and cargo areas are pressurized. The restriction is due to the fire hazard as these areas are not accessible in case of an incident.

Reactions: sar104
Not sure about over seas and it also may be dependent on specific airlines. I was allowed to carry my batteries in the case with with drone, just couldn't have the batteries installed on drone. Airline also stated that lipo batteries can not go in checked bagged area. I assumed it because of the lack of pressure in the under belly of plane.

That's not the reason. It is the outer fuselage that comprises the structural pressure vessel - the entire aircraft is held at the same pressure, including the baggage areas.

Generally the rule is: all lithium based batteries that can be removed from the application must be in the cabin baggage, not inside the application and properly electrically insulated with tape or similar - nobody mentions lipo safe bags. If the energy of the battery is above 100 Wh needs airline approval, above 160Wh is never allowed (per battery, not the total).
To find the Wh, multiply the mAh with the voltage and divide by 1000. For instance: my Mavic 2 battery is 15.4 V and its capacity is 3850 mAh. The Wh therefore is 15.4 * 3850 /1000 = 59.29 Wh.
I am happy I can take them on my vacation! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94