The drone catcher (anti drone interceptor)

Funny thing is, that strictly speaking the laws here forbid FPV without some LOS, but they also forbid flying at night at all (well except for very specific dispensations).
Yet last night I went to a big fireworks display we have here every year, and our usual spot for this annual event turned out this year, to be right beside the professional aerial videography company that were doing the filming of the event.
They had an Inspire 1, and two S900's and an S1000 running all day throughout the day entertainment, and then right on into the night for the fireworks. The first thing I noticed is that LOS is actually MASSIVELY EASIER AT NIGHT. During the day, even the massive S1000 became impossible to see at a distance of 1.2kms that they were flying it. But when they flew them in the dark, the lights were visible at massive distances. Especially on the Inspire, which seems to have the lights aimed much more forward/backward than downward the way the P2 and the S-range ones do. Those ultra bright rear green LEDs stood out very clearly for a huge distance. But our laws don't let us fly at night.

Ezookiel said:
Yet last night I went to a big fireworks display we have here every year...

Where is "here?'"

Canberra Australia. Our local radio station put on "SkyFire" this was about the 27th or something, it's a big 30 minute fireworks display synchronised to music.
But it's pretty much a whole afternoon. Flyovers by the Airforce, rescue demos in the lake by helicopters, skydivers with giant flags and smoke cartridges, military umpteen gun salutes, etc etc.
People selling every cheap Chinese LED toy gizmo that a kid could dream to own and play with for the night before it falls apart and is forgotten by the morning.
And this year, Drones constantly coming and going from right beside my picnic rug. Oh the jealousy and envy watching them flying S900 and S1000s, decked out with every photography dream, and the amazingly nimble Inspire. That thing can fairly hoot through the sky. She's got a fair turn of speed to her. About the only one of their toys that I could ASPIRE to own with the INSPIRE, and they could just about convince me with what I saw of it in action. Very cool little quad that one.

Ezookiel said:
Funny thing is, that strictly speaking the laws here forbid FPV without some LOS

. . .but our laws don't let us fly at night.
As of this month, they don't in the U.S. either. You Aussies were ahead of the game.

That's the preview. The full one is apparently coming soon.

DattaGroover said:
Ezookiel said:
Funny thing is, that strictly speaking the laws here forbid FPV without some LOS

As of this month, they don't in the U.S. either. You Aussies were ahead of the game.
So, what happened this month? There are no new rules and there is no rule against flying at night.

SteveMann said:
DattaGroover said:
Ezookiel said:

So, what happened this month? There are no new rules and there is no rule against flying at night.
Here are the new rules from the FAA:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_air ... c_rule.pdf

Perhaps I should have said "within" the last month, as part of this process happened late February. As far as night flying is concerned, that was something I read in a news article, but I don't see it here in the FAA rules, so you may be right about there being no rule against flying at night in the U.S.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
SteveMann said:
DattaGroover said:
Ezookiel said:

Here is another version of the new FAA rules that clearly prohibit night flying:

Overview of Small UAS Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
Summary of Major Provisions of Proposed Part 107 The following provisions are being proposed in the FAA’s Small UAS NPRM.  Unmanned aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (25 kg).
Operational Limitations:
Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the operator or visual observer. 
At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the operator for the operator to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses. 
Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly involved in the operation. 
Daylight-only operations (official sunrise to official sunset, local time). 

etc.

THe FAA Document number is 21515 sUAS or something like that...

...The coalition asked FAA to permit certain BVLOS operations "in the relatively near term", rather than waiting for the proposed rules to be finalized over the next two years.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/01/usa-drones-faa-idUSL1N0XR45020150501

It appears that the FAA may make some exceptions for commercial use, but LOS is definitely out for hobbyists for the forseeable future.

<snip>
Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly involved in the operation. 
Daylight-only operations (official sunrise to official sunset, local time). 

etc.

THe FAA Document number is 21515 sUAS or something like that...

Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly involved in the operation. - So how are you to manage that then ?

Don't fly I guess...

I´m testing now a drone catcher :).
I have one of those too, except she is a border collie named KT. Hasn't caught it yet. Good job there is no sound on these vids, or you would hear the swearing when she gets too close.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20