TACO-RC ND filters set (ND4/8/16/32) for DJI Phantom 3

Any suggestions for a good snap on polar lens to add? I love my Taco-RC Multi-coated nd filters, must have when shooting professional video. Thanks

I just registered to post to this thread. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who posted here. I am a new P3P pilot and the info in this thread was invaluable to helping me select some ND filters. I went with the Taco-RC filters (4/8/16/32) based on your recommendations. Can't wait for them to arrive. Thanks again!

These weigh 5g and the stock is 2g, I'm curious how these will work out...They do look really nice!
I was gonna get the Taco MC but wanted to see what the new Polar Pros look like.
But I'm definitely leaning towards getting these now.
Please post your impressions when you get em.

I have exact problem what to order. Regular or MC or this double size + polarizer. Do you think this extra weight is a problem?

I really like that the MC Tacos are the same weight as stock but I'm sure they'll be OK with the extra weight. I wonder if you need to counter balance?

Hey, Nejkoy seems we keep responding to each other in different threads. :)

My day job is a photographer. For my lenses I always prefer a coated filter. If it saves me from lens flare on even one vital shot then the minimal cost is worth it to me. I live on the coast so a polarizer is a must for me when shooting any water scenes but it is useful in pretty much any sunny scenario. It really cuts down on the reflections and makes your skies a little more blue.

I had been looking very closely at the rainbowers filter set for the phantom but ultimately decided to try out this set because of the high level of vignette with the rainbowers filters when using a polarizer. I hope the taco rc set does not have this issue too. Aside from the vignetting (mostly when shooting 4k) the rainbowers set looks very very nice.

Regarding the extra weight, I'll add some weight to the back of the camera unit if needed.

Last edited:
Heh yes :)

Great explanation. Please when you get your set do a full review on it. And some thoughts on weight. But I think It shouldn't be a problem. Then you prefer Taco RC multi coated nd filters that are also polarized.

I will be sure to give my impressions and do the best I can with a review when the filters arrive.

I have exact problem what to order. Regular or MC or this double size + polarizer. Do you think this extra weight is a problem?

Depends on your objective - if you want to shoot for hobby/pleasure then the regular is more than sufficient.. I use the regular 4set (still testing it progressively) and I find the quality excellent with very good color reproduction..

Saw some comparison photos posted elsewhere and did not notice visible difference between Regular Vs MC. If you are a professional/commercial photographer then you can consider the new double coated polariser set. They will be useful in many situations while shooting water, or glass buildings with reflections..

Ofcourse even for a hobby pilot the polariser set can pop the colors a bit more than regular filter set and potentially eliminate the need for post processing.. But the negative is that you will have to adjust the outer ring to find the optimal orientation of the polariser filter (that is what TacoRc description says). Some times if your camera angle changes in flight then it may be a pain because you will be stuck with the filter orientation that you started with.. So please consider that in your decision.. hopefully someone who already has a ND+Pol filter set will respond with their experience and how to handle this..

The extra weight is not a problem at all.. Many P3 pilots use PolarPro filters which are 6gms (against the 5gms for the new DoubleCoated polariser set) without any issues at all. Not counter weight is necessary.. it is a very minor weight addition that gimbal can handle easily..

The extra weight is not a problem at all.. Many P3 pilots use PolarPro filters which are 6gms (against the 5gms for the new DoubleCoated polariser set) without any issues at all. Not counter weight is necessary.. it is a very minor weight addition that gimbal can handle easily..

Very good to know, thanks.

Depends on your objective - if you want to shoot for hobby/pleasure then the regular is more than sufficient.. I use the regular 4set (still testing it progressively) and I find the quality excellent with very good color reproduction..

Saw some comparison photos posted elsewhere and did not notice visible difference between Regular Vs MC. If you are a professional/commercial photographer then you can consider the new double coated polariser set. They will be useful in many situations while shooting water, or glass buildings with reflections..

Ofcourse even for a hobby pilot the polariser set can pop the colors a bit more than regular filter set and potentially eliminate the need for post processing.. But the negative is that you will have to adjust the outer ring to find the optimal orientation of the polariser filter (that is what TacoRc description says). Some times if your camera angle changes in flight then it may be a pain because you will be stuck with the filter orientation that you started with.. So please consider that in your decision.. hopefully someone who already has a ND+Pol filter set will respond with their experience and how to handle this..

Yes It is for hobby. Adjusting the outer ring to find the optimal orientation of the polariser filter this is something I dont understand and I think its hard to handle right. For hobby program regular will be just OK i think.

Yes It is for hobby. Adjusting the outer ring to find the optimal orientation of the polariser filter this is something I dont understand and I think its hard to handle right. For hobby program regular will be just OK i think.

Got my regular 4 piece TacoRc set last week and have been trying them for the last few days.. Some suggestions from me based on my observations..

ND32 really darkens the green colors (and even the blue of the sky) even in a very bright sunny day. I have a feeling ND32 is an overkill. If you come across a situation requiring ND32 then using a ND16 with ISO200 will give you same exposure as ND32 at ISO100, but the ND16 with ISO200 will give you better colors.. if that sounds reasonable then you could just order the 3 piece set instead of the 4 piece set...

If you want to have the option of using a polariser filter when required, then consider this Gel filter advertised in this thread.. When required you can simply insert it from outside using the ring from post #81 from BDOG.. This will give you enormous flexibility - you can just insert the pol filter from outside on any filter (ND4 or 8 or 16) only when it is required even as you normally fly with the regular ND filters otherwise..

Just some suggestions based on my notes.. this is what I would have done if I were to order my filters today instead of 2weeks ago ;-))

Reactions: Nejkoy
Great to share this practical experience. Very good. Think this is decision for regular one, as I am a hobby user. What is this Gel filter and where can i get it?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor