swollen batteries

Reaction score
All of a sudden 3 of my 4 P4P batteries are swollen. I usually keep my drone and all its' necessities in my truck. I know they can get hot inside a vehicle but could there be anything else to kill these batteries so suddenly?

Sure heat can be damaging to chemical based systems but also storing the batteries outside of the 40-60% charge level is bad.

Do you use the self-discharge feature to help mitigate this?

Last edited:
If it was just 1 battery that 'puffed' ... then its open for debate as to cause ... but you have said it yourself :

3 batterys out of 4 ... "I know they can get hot inside a vehicle "

Seems keeping your batterys in your truck may not be a good practice.

Sure heat can be damaging to chemical based systems but also storing the batteries outside of the 40-60% charge level is bad.

Do you used the self-discharge feature to help mitigate this?

Didn't know you could turn OFF the self discharge feature ?

Must admit though a combo of 10 day setting and heat inside the truck would be a recipe for swollen packs.

What if they were stored after use at a level below recommended SOC?

I asked because so often the 'comment' .... do you use Self discharge / auto storage ....

We all know you cannot turn it off ... so whatever - the feature is active ... question is really : how many days do you set it to ... as IMHO 10 days is far too long !!

What if they were stored after use at a level below recommended SOC?

Too low a charge level in storage is rarely a reason to puff LiPo cells. But too high a discharge rate to an extreme low level will do it because of the internal heat that is created.

My money is on leaving them in the truck and heat. Heat will puff any charge state battery ... but if in the upper range storage of 50% or more - then its more likely.

They say don't leave baby's, pets and battery's in cars/trucks with the windows up especially during summer

Common causes of battery swelling include:
  1. Overcharge conditions which accelerate parasitic reactions between the electrodes and electrolyte, with release of heat and gases.
  2. Poor cell quality and design with low anode to cathode stoichiometric ratios, particulate contamination
  3. Mechanical damage to electrodes induced either during cell assembly or from the product application
  4. Excessive temperatures (Do not leave your cell phone inside your car)
  5. Deep discharge of cells

Reactions: dkeberhardt
Good morning,
My batteries swell during use. Hard to pull out. When cooled they go down in swelling. I keep my batteries in proper range. Intelligent swell more than the regular batteries in my experience

Good morning,
My batteries swell during use. Hard to pull out. When cooled they go down in swelling. I keep my batteries in proper range. Intelligent swell more than the regular batteries in my experience

All LiPos swell during use .... BUT when operating correctly - the amount is unnoticeable as its minute. If they are swelling to a noticeable amount AND more than warm to touch - then they are either "damaged / poor quality" or being discharged at too high a rate.

Given that DJI spec the batterys for the contractors to supply - it is unlikely the power draw is the too high for their designed use ... so it leaves "damaged or poor quality" ... this can stem from living in a hot climate and their use in high temps ... storage in high temps .... too long high charge state .... crash 'incidents' ... charger fault ... there are lots of reasons ...

I have a number of normal lipos for my EDF models that puff up and then go down when cool ... doesn't mean its good though .. it says that I am hammering them harder than designed for. Funny thing is - they keep working !!! and have done for nigh on 2 years now ! In fact lasted longer than the LiPo's they replaced ..

So flying in 96 degrees temp would do it? Why don't the cheaper non intelligent battery versions swell?

So flying in 96 degrees temp would do it? Why don't the cheaper non intelligent battery versions swell?

Look at your packs ... whats the difference to a normal RC pack ?

1. In your drone - the pack has no airspace around it to lose heat when flying. Its in a closed 'box'.
2. The pack itself is inside a plastic case with a big front end - heat again trapped.

A normal RC pack at least even inside a fuselage has some airspace and its not inside a tight hard case ...

We get pretty warm summers here ... 30+ C and I notice nearly all my RC models packs fly different ... when I remove from model - they are noticeably warmer.

All of a sudden 3 of my 4 P4P batteries are swollen. I usually keep my drone and all its' necessities in my truck. I know they can get hot inside a vehicle but could there be anything else to kill these batteries so suddenly?
I had about 10 P4 batteries go bad on me but they were pretty old. I don’t worry about old batteries wearing out, but have you tried to get new P4 batteries from DJI. They have been out of stock for months.

As a matter of fact, they have had many, many items out of stock for over six months. All the P4 models are unavailable. All P4 batteries are unavailable. Many of the Mavic models are unavailable. Many of the Inspire models are also out of stock. What’s going on with DJI. A business that can’t supply the most popular model that they have ever made doesn’t bode well for their future. I’m sorry to see the P4 fade into history. What a shame.

Did you use an aftermarket charger? I found 3 of my batteries went puffy because I charged them with a 3 in one charger

Swollen battery in freezer comes out flat as a board.
If DJI no longer selling replacement batteries, what
are most reliable reasonably priced alternatives...?

That's not rehabilitative, the damage has been done.

Freezing does not perform electrolyte 're-composition'.

If DJI no longer selling replacement batteries, what
are most reliable reasonably priced alternatives...?
Since DJI has stopped supporting their most successful commercial drone, (the P4), I will think long and hard about ever buying another DJI product. I’ve been buying DJI drones since the Phantom 2 series. I have purchased:
2 Phantom 2
4 Phantom 3
5 Phantom 4
DJI currently produces the best commercial drones, but someone will eventually fill the void. I am very sad to see Phantom 4 production and support dropped. DJI will eventually be replaced. Until then, DJI has let its customer base hanging in the wind, with no props.

If I wouldn't leave my dog locked inside my car or truck, I wouldn't leave my Phantom locked inside when it's hot. The temps inside vehicles greatly exceed the ambient temps outside, especially when its warm and sunny. Too hot or too cold is bad for batteries.

You are lucky to only lose 3 batteries. If one had experienced runaway and burst into flames as has happened with cell phones left in cars, you could have lost your truck. It can get over 170 degrees in a vehicle left out in the sun and electronics can have problems with termperatures over 110 degrees.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4