Sunset at Torrey Pines, La Jolla/San Diego, CA

Reaction score
I was in La Jolla for a 1 day video shoot of a different nature and decided to pack a bigger suitcase so I could bring my P3 4K. One of my first flights after getting the Itelite DBS for my P3 4K. I also used the P3 for the client shoot on their multi-building science campus.

As a videographer, I'm realizing I have to work diligently on my coordinated camera and flight moves/techniques to get more edit worthy videos.

You may think the music an odd choice, but I wanted something unique.

Reactions: Ed_2020
Love this! I’m currently en route to stay at Torrey Pines Lodge/Golf course - couldn’t help but bring my drone with me. I saw a web page saying “drones aren’t allowed in Torrey Pines Nature Preserve/State Park”, but do you think I’ll be okay to fly along the coast like you did and perhaps at La Jolla Cove?

Thanks for your love.

So, first time I've ever been to Torrey Pines. You're correct that there are no drones allowed in the TP State Nature Preserve, but you could probably fly from the beach adjacent, get a drones-eye view without flying over the preserve. There's one really interesting shot I wanted to do over the Los Penasquitos Lagoon. There's a railroad that runs right through the middle of it. I saw a cool YouTube of a drone flight over the Lagoon. Honestly, no one is gonna care if you fly over that lagoon. Carmel Valley Rd. runs along the North side of it with plenty of places to park, 15 minutes over the lagoon and skidaddle. I flew just North of the Gliderport. There is a massive, lengthy dirt parking area here where you can walk over to the cliff edge and fly without bugging anyone. One caveat... Black's beach (nude beach) is just South of the Gliderport. Respect the nudies and don't fly there.

South of the gliderport there appears to be car beach access off of La Jolla Farms Rd where it intersects with Blackgold Rd. I certainly wasn't inclined to take any of those long treacherous paths down to the beach. Better to have altitude on the cliffs to maintain signal strength.

La Jolla Cove and coastline South would be a cool place to fly. Not sure if there are any local rules, but if you fly there, probably want to be in a stealth location and fly high and far out enough not to be noticed. I'm trying to find ways to fly stealth like; get altitude quickly and out of earshot; fly quickly and high back to home base, drop quickly and make an exit quickly. Most importantly of course, don't take any risks around people and wildlife, fly safely and conscientiously. Avoid any unwanted attention.

Reactions: dlblacks
La Jolla Cove and coastline South would be a cool place to fly. Not sure if there are any local rules, but if you fly there, probably want to be in a stealth location and fly high and far out enough not to be noticed. I'm trying to find ways to fly stealth like; get altitude quickly and out of earshot; fly quickly and high back to home base, drop quickly and make an exit quickly. Most importantly of course, don't take any risks around people and wildlife, fly safely and conscientiously. Avoid any unwanted attention.

Thanks so much for writing such an info-packed response! I really appreciate the insight. I’ve been second-guessing myself more than usual recently, in terms of being confident I’m launching/flying in a legal zone. I’ve got all the maps/resources, I always do my research on local laws and of course adhere to FAA regs. But I’ve always got that fear in the back of my head that the wrong person will see me flying and give me crap - whether or not I’m breaking any rules. Guess I can’t let it stop me if I know I’m operating within the law!

Thanks so much for writing such an info-packed response! I really appreciate the insight. I’ve been second-guessing myself more than usual recently, in terms of being confident I’m launching/flying in a legal zone. I’ve got all the maps/resources, I always do my research on local laws and of course adhere to FAA regs. But I’ve always got that fear in the back of my head that the wrong person will see me flying and give me crap - whether or not I’m breaking any rules. Guess I can’t let it stop me if I know I’m operating within the law!

I know the feeling exactly. I'm always a bit anxious flying in a new location and I've only been flying my P3 for a year. My recommendation is to cast away all of your anxiety and just DO IT! As long as you believe you're flying safely and not bugging anyone, have your fun. I do attempt to avoid unwanted attention and broadcasting of my position. Get altitude quickly before flying out away from your position, then descend when you're farther out. If by chance the authorities show up, be honest and respectful, explain your safety protocols and that you're just a hobbyist enjoying your time flying. If I got a $50-$100 ticket in an awesome location, it would still be worth it.

My beef is with all National Parks being illegal drone zones, which I think is discriminatory. Call me a criminal, but if I can fly safely and stealthily in an area designated as a National Park, I'd consider it. The area I fly every week is in the C&O Canal National Park, which extends the entire Maryland side of the Potomac River just upriver from Washington, DC. I have to drive a ways from my house until I'm outside of the huge no-fly zone around National Airport. It also happens to be right across from Trump National CC in VA (jerk proposed closing 2 miles of river when he's golfing, GFY). It's a beautiful place to fly, but the shoreline is technically in the park. The river is not. So, I've found a spot where the rocky shoreline extends out into the river, which seems more legal and avoids obstruction from the trees. I also strap the drone to the back of my kayak and go out in the middle of the river. Come and get me! Violette's Lock - Potomac River - DJI P3 4k

More good advice, thanks again for that! I’ll scout out a more inconspicuous area and get up in the air quickly & stealthily. There are soooo many [recent] drone videos of La Jolla Cove, and seemingly no special local rules. So I’ll just go for it! In all honesty, I can’t think of a safer place to fly than over open water...

That’s funny about Trump.... and unsurprising about his golf habits lol. Moron. I’m glad you’ve found a work around tho! Good call with the kayak

I looked at a handful of drone vid's from La Jolla Cove and I don't think it's the most interesting place visually to fly because of all the buildings in the background, which are distracting. There's also a lot of people around. I think you'd find more peace flying up in Torrey Pines, where you have a great view of the golf course, long shore/cliff line. I'd recommend the Los Penasquitos lagoon flight as well. It's so unique and you can also fly over the beach and cliffs from there. Here's a good example

I looked at a handful of drone vid's from La Jolla Cove and I don't think it's the most interesting place visually to fly because of all the buildings in the background, which are distracting. There's also a lot of people around. I think you'd find more peace flying up in Torrey Pines, where you have a great view of the golf course, long shore/cliff line. I'd recommend the Los Penasquitos lagoon flight as well. It's so unique and you can also fly over the beach and cliffs from there. Here's a good example

I think you might be right... Torrey Pines feels like the perfect place, this web page just fosters a tiny bit of hesitation:

https://torreypine.org/reserveinfo/protect-torrey-pines-reserve/drones/

At the very end it talks about the boundaries of their “no drone” zone. Is the golf course/hotel/cliffs part of th Nature Reserve? Maybe not, I’m not trying to talk myself out of great footage. I’m just gonna follow your advice and look to launch near the coastline of TP - and of course check out the Penasquitos lagoon!

Last edited:
I think you might be right... Torrey Pines feels like the perfect place, this web page just fosters a tiny bit of hesitation:

https://torreypine.org/reserveinfo/protect-torrey-pines-reserve/drones/

At the very end it talks about the boundaries of their “no drone” zone. Is the golf course/hotel/cliffs part of th Nature Reserve? Maybe not, I’m not trying to talk myself out of great footage. I’m just gonna follow your advice and look to launch near the coastline of TP - and of course check out the Penasquitos lagoon!
TP isn't on the nature preserve. I'm not suggesting you fly over Torrey Pines GC, but it basically borders the cliffs so you can get a good vista 360.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures