Sudden changes during flight

Reaction score
As of this post I am a newbie, but that is going to change rapidly. I've logged many hours of practice and have been extremely pleased with the simplicity of piloting the P2V+. Yesterday I experienced something that was not the norm of all my practice flights. I was flying at around 200 feet. My low battery warning sounded (at 27%) so I descended - brought her home (which took less than 2 minutes). I got it down to to about 6 feet and all the sudden it began to drift radically. I would correct it bringing it back to landing point but it would not hover instead take off in a direction and change altitude. I suddenly felt as though someone else had accessed control and was fighting my control. I was in sunlight and I could not take my eyes off the bird because it was drifting so much and there were people, trees, and light poles around, so I could not even glance at the display to see if I had lost sats. I was able to land it hard, but the blades would not shut off and it began to skip across the pavement toward the river bank - and I could not get it to shut down. Luckily it skipped down three steps and flipped upside down, which then caused it to shut down (just 2 feet from the water!).
A couple things I noticed right away:
1. As I was landing very thick clouds and rain was approaching from the NW
2. The S2 switch was in position 2.

Anything you experienced pilots could share as to possible causes of this would be very much appreciated. also any advice on what to do in case it happens again. I got very lucky it flipped upside down this time.

~Jim

DCGOO said:
It sounds like the bird switched into Atti mode. This will happen if you drop below 6 satellites.

Also when battery voltage is really low all Phantoms tend to do that.

In the past when playing with voltage warning levels, that's the first indication the battery is to the point of not being able to support electrical needs - motors, flight controls, etc... DJI suggested warning levels are 30% and 15% for P2s and newer. Those on the older Phantoms can usually get away with 10.6 & 10.4 volts. One note - the heavier the Phantom (loaded w/gimbal,tx, lights) it's better to have it a little higher.

Are you in Phantom or Naza-M mode?

S2 is on the left and S1 on the right. So your left switch was in middle position, and your right switch was in top position?

Did you notice the LEDs on the rear legs flashing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31