"Squeeky" Gimble on P4

Reaction score
Hello all, just got my new P4 from Apple a couple days ago.

Has anyone else noticed a noise from their gimble? I hear it each time I turn on the P4. Sounds like a squeek noise. It is not the "chirp chirp" noise when you turn the P4 on.

If I pick the P4 up and move it around a bit, I can hear the squeek when the gimble moves to try and maintain its stable position. If I move the P4, so the gimble is kind of at it's max postion, the squeek squeek repeats. So it is not a mechanical squeek, but some noise coming from the gimble or it's motor or sensor?

Never noticed this on my P3P. And the video seems pretty stable in flight, so not sure if an issue.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks in advance.
G.

I noticed it, too! Particularly after landing while handling the aircraft before turning off the battery. That finally made it stop. Sounded like Hillary! ;)
I couldn't see any obvious cause, and I didn't hear it during gimbal calibration, and gimbal worked fine during flight on the FPV screen. Very disconcerting, though!:eek:

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know it was just not mine. Was about ready to return to Apple for a swap out.

I just flew mine today for the first time and I'm hear the exact same thing! I thought it was just me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I smell P4 "manufacturing defect" which is DJI's requirement for a full refund within 7 days of receipt, even after Activation! :p This baby is being returned to its "mother" for birth defects! :rolleyes:

The only noise I noticed was when I updated firmware on the aircraft when the gimbal did its usual dance.. Have not noticed anything during operation though will keep an eye on this.

The only noise I noticed was when I updated firmware on the aircraft when the gimbal did its usual dance.. Have not noticed anything during operation though will keep an eye on this.
Pick it up and tip it a little, with the battery on.
The gimbal will squeal like a little piglet!:D

It sounds like a mechanical squeak. But I am pretty sure it is an electronic sound generated by the P4. If I move the Gimble when the P4 is powered off, I cannot hear anything. And when it is powered on and I tilt the P4 to the Gimble limit, the squeak repeats and I usually get a message on the DJI Go App, that the Gimble has exceeded it limits or something like that.

So far, my Gimble seems to work fine. But I am still worried nonetheless. I would love to get some feedback from DJI on if this is normal or not.

It appears to be consistent across multiple users. I agree that it is likely just an electronic sound, and not a physical rubbing, and likely a warning sound. Still, it's very disconcerting and annoying, given that picking the bird up with the battery on is quite common. It will likely be removed in a future firmware update, when DJI realizes it is leading to too many returns for a "manufacturing defect!" :rolleyes:

Squeaky wheel gets the grease-gun... Hahaha

Noisy gimbal joint? WD40, not... Perhaps it's just new, tight, needs to wear in some. If it bothers you that much, return it, and test out a new one before you leave the store with it. That should be a no brainier.
I always activate my new iPad's in the local Apple Store at Southgate Mall, and feel a new right expensive drone shouldn't be any different.
If it was at Staples or Best Buy, I would treat it the same.

RedHotPoker

Squeaky wheel gets the grease-gun... Hahaha

Noisy gimbal joint? WD40, not... Perhaps it's just new, tight, needs to wear in some. If it bothers you that much, return it, and test out a new one before you leave the store with it. That should be a no brainier.
I always activate my new iPad's in the local Apple Store at Southgate Mall, and feel a new right expensive drone shouldn't be any different.
If it was at Staples or Best Buy, I would treat it the same.

RedHotPoker
No, it's clearly an electronic warning sound, not a truly noisy gimbal joint.
I'd like to see the look on the faces of the Apple Employees when you activate and test your newly purchased P4 inside the store! :D

Just leave the rotor blades off. Unless really angry, then you fly the returned drone into the store, land on a table and scream out, ."Manager Please!!"
This'll Certainly get you an invitation to the Apple drone banquet... Haha
Might even have them toss in a free flight battery for your troubles. ;-)
As you fly the new drone out... See ya!!

RedHotPoker

Agree, it's an electronically generated sound. But sounds like a squeak to me.

It happens when I turn the P4 on and when it's going through it's gimble gyrations during power on. Right when those gyrations stop and the gimble is set in the forward level direction, I get the first squeak. Then if I pickup the P4 and twist it around in my hand, I randomly get a squeak sound. In certain positions, it does a repeating squeak sound. I wonder if it is some of kind of gimble limit exceeded sound? I have gotten a message like that on my DJI Go app.

Just leave the rotor blades off. Unless really angry, then you fly the returned drone into the store, land on a table and scream out, ."Manager Please!!"
This'll Certainly get you an invitation to the Apple drone banquet... Haha
Might even have them toss in a free flight battery for your troubles. ;-)
As you fly the new drone out... See ya!!

RedHotPoker
Good one! I like your direct approach! :p

Pick it up and tip it a little, with the battery on.
The gimbal will squeal like a little piglet!:D
I only get a slight squeak during gimbal dance at power on. But I cannot hear any squeaking noise upon picking up the drone and moving it around whilst powered on

Agree, it's an electronically generated sound. But sounds like a squeak to me.

It happens when I turn the P4 on and when it's going through it's gimble gyrations during power on. Right when those gyrations stop and the gimble is set in the forward level direction, I get the first squeak. Then if I pickup the P4 and twist it around in my hand, I randomly get a squeak sound. In certain positions, it does a repeating squeak sound. I wonder if it is some of kind of gimble limit exceeded sound? I have gotten a message like that on my DJI Go app.
Mine does the exact same thing. Look at my
posts about the gimbal and I posted a video of it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was concerned about the sound, also. It makes the sound as it straightens out at boot up. Also, my P4 has an hour and a half of total flying with about 23k' since April 12th, and nearing the end of the last flight yesterday, the gimbal "flipped" or "twitched" to the left 4 or 5 times. I flew it today in breezy conditions and even used Active Track for the first time with no further problems.

I was concerned about the sound, also. It makes the sound as it straightens out at boot up. Also, my P4 has an hour and a half of total flying with about 23k' since April 12th, and nearing the end of the last flight yesterday, the gimbal "flipped" or "twitched" to the left 4 or 5 times. I flew it today in breezy conditions and even used Active Track for the first time with no further problems.
What do you mean it twitched? Was it stuck momentarily? So afterwards it never does it anymore. Strange!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.