She's gone... Yep, another fly away. (UPDATE: FOUND!!)

Re: She's gone... Yep, another fly away.

killthe5pairs said:
r u using firmware 3.16 theres a bug in that even if you do all the safety procedures calibrate everything etc,, mine fly away after i upgrade and i do all i mean all 100% procedure to perfect my flight with
a brand new zenmuse,carbon fiber props,go pro3, TO ALL PHANTOM PILOTS PUT YOUR NUMBER ON THE SIDE OF THE QUAD **** HAPPENS... i recover my quad from that, but with all brand new stuff broken.on the edge of going pro on aerial videography now my dream just fly away... heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIvzLANYU1g

I loaded 3.16 when it came out. The only problem I had was the initial installation similiar to other people. After that, I had many successful flights. I cant say it was the firmware upgrade. Honestly, the way it was flying it seemed to be the compass, but who knows..

Glockindahaus said:
Thanks D3wey - Yea, Im bummed. I plan on going back out to the area tomorrow. (being a holiday) and take a ladder with me. It might help to get some perspective.

Perhaps somebody in your area has a camera carrying quad/hex/octo and can do a sweep of the area?

marcus_canada said:
that does suck. It rather sounds like a release of control issue [to something else] as opposed to a GPS problem. If you switch it to manual and the thing still flies away then the receiver is under the control of a signal source, even a simple strong carrier wave....... There's not much you can do about that, its happened to R/C'ers since day one.

It seems to me that the fly aways I have read are limited to the stock radio tx/rx pairing. I have yet to hear of one with a quality radio, and even then I am prepared to overlook a small number of those as legitimate Nazza failures.

Maybe. It did get GPS locked before I took off but the area I was in doesnt even have any WIFI signals, I checked with my phone. Its pretty vacant. I dont honestly know if it could be the radio. I was only about 15 feet away when it started to drift and then take off. Again, the RTH seemed to be doing something as it was headed in my general vicinity when I finally shut of the RX, but then decided it didnt want to come back after all and took off again. ugh.

Glockindahaus said:
Maybe. It did get GPS locked before I took off but the area I was in doesnt even have any WIFI signals, I checked with my phone. Its pretty vacant. I dont honestly know if it could be the radio. I was only about 15 feet away when it started to drift and then take off. Again, the RTH seemed to be doing something as it was headed in my general vicinity when I finally shut of the RX, but then decided it didnt want to come back after all and took off again. ugh.

I feel your pain. To be only 15' away and not have control must have just been a draining feeling, so close but yet so far :(

Man, I'm really bummed for you to hear this, but please don't give up the hobby. Either go after DJI or your dealer, but at least get into a different Quad!

Keep Flying

Slugger Pete

I have one that I lost about 5 weeks ago. The funny thing is it's in a wooded area about 2/3rds the size of a football field, but so dense with trees and foliage, I can't find it. I saw it hit the trees and drop. I heard it chopping up leaves as it went down, but lost sight of it. I've searched the area on foot and even got another quad with a camera and have been doing aerial searches. I lost a good hero3 camera in it's weather case, so I haven't given up yet. Everyone keeps telling me how depressed I'll be when I finally find it. I've actually been enjoying the challenge of the search. I still would love to find it before the weather trashes it too much. The big joke is that I'll find it when the leaves finally fall. Good luck!

Thanks everyone, your support means a lot. You know better then anyone the time and of course money spent on our hobby. It's so rewarding on so many levels. I'm going to be plastering the area with reward signs and a photo. Hopefully I can get access to a nearby rooftop next week to check it and the surrounding area.

I appreciate all your comments.

marcus_canada said:
Glockindahaus said:
Thanks D3wey - Yea, Im bummed. I plan on going back out to the area tomorrow. (being a holiday) and take a ladder with me. It might help to get some perspective.

Perhaps somebody in your area has a camera carrying quad/hex/octo and can do a sweep of the area?

Well, if there are any people who could help I'm in the Marina Bay Area of Richmond, CA. Just accross the bay bridge from San Francisco and Richmond San Rafael bridge. If your familiar with the Craneway Pavillion I was flying in a lot next to it.

I would welcome any help from my fellow Phantom, quad or anything for that matter!

Thanks again

If my dual batts would get me the 3000 miles I'd be there to do a scout out for you Glock. Can i suggest if someone does lend a hand that they come with a full range TX just incase.
Really hope the search leads to a find.

DeweyAXD said:
If my dual batts would get me the 3000 miles I'd be there to do a scout out for you Glock. Can i suggest if someone does lend a hand that they come with a full range TX just incase.
Really hope the search leads to a find.

Ha! Thanks, and if you have any satellites roaming my neighborhood I'd gladly accept some NSA style ground searches! :D

The weekend scout didnt turn up anything on the ground. Made contact with some local businesses and they let me post flyers. Im really hoping this sucker is just on the roof. Unfortunately I cant see it and I dont have any vantage point to get a look, so were crossing our fingers that tomorrow or at least some time this week the building mgt will give us access. The really good news is that I saw an access door on the roof which means we dont need to hire a cherry picker to help us!

I appreciate all the good thoughts. This video is going to make for some really interesting watching if I ever get the goPro back..

Also, something I learned about insurance. As home owners would be cost prohibitive in this case to cover the Phantom, I did buy some of the equipment using my AMEX which covers "loss". Not just damage or mfg defect but actual loss. So, I maybe able to get something back on that to help offset things if I can find it to start again. Lets hope.

Sounds like there is still hope... real shame no other flyers can get to you to do the scouting. I've watched the quad rescue on Youtube before and another one would be epic! Might be worth posting on RCgroups. Might find a neighbouring f550 owner to help?

DeweyAXD said:
Sounds like there is still hope... real shame no other flyers can get to you to do the scouting. I've watched the quad rescue on Youtube before and another one would be epic! Might be worth posting on RCgroups. Might find a neighbouring f550 owner to help?

I do know a pilot in the area who is experienced and have reached out to him. I'm hoping to hear back soon. I will probably check in with rcgroups if all else fails.

Glockindahaus said:
DeweyAXD said:

I do know a pilot in the area who is experienced and have reached out to him. I'm hoping to hear back soon. I will probably check in with rcgroups if all else fails.

Keep us posted. I'm about 1.5 hours away in Sacramento. Probably cant make it there today but next week/weekend is doable. Cheers!

Loppy said:
Glockindahaus said:
DeweyAXD said:

Keep us posted. I'm about 1.5 hours away in Sacramento. Probably cant make it there today but next week/weekend is doable. Cheers!

Thanks Loppy! I'll keep everyone posted.

First update: So far I havent even received a generic email reply from DJI. I emailed both their support and sales departments.

I did hear back from B&H Photo where I purchased the Phantom from. They simply emailed me a fifteen question list that was specific to the Phantom, so I can only imagine it must have originally come from DJI.

I was going to attach the questionnaire but got a "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Going through B&H is by far your best bet I'd say. Given the popularity of the Phantom and the upcoming vision I'd say anyone with buying power has the best chance to fight your corner. Keep us posted - I take it no overflight from anyone yet then?

DeweyAXD said:
Going through B&H is by far your best bet I'd say. Given the popularity of the Phantom and the upcoming vision I'd say anyone with buying power has the best chance to fight your corner. Keep us posted - I take it no overflight from anyone yet then?

I agree. Not yet on the fly over but I have one planned. Also, I have a company willing to use their forklift to have a peek on the roof. I put a bounty on the recovery, so I expect to have some word soon.

cool, keep us up to date. I'm pretty busy on Saturday (soccer and baseball) but could sneek out late. Sunday may be open. Got my FPV up and running well, dual batts, ready to serve.

Loppy said:
cool, keep us up to date. I'm pretty busy on Saturday (soccer and baseball) but could sneek out late. Sunday may be open. Got my FPV up and running well, dual batts, ready to serve.

Thanks Loppy, Ill PM you if needed. Greatly appreciate the offer.

I read an article last week that truckers have been buying wifi and satellite jammers so they can't be tracked by their management by satellite. Restaurants, theaters and businesses have been installing cellphone signal jammers. They are routinely used by official in motorcades to jam signals to potential roadside ieds. They can be bought and installed for under a hundred dollars. It's unlikely that this caused your issue, but it brings to light the many variables that exist.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20