Rookie pilot needs advice.

EliasD said:
Hmm, its been many years since I did the hokey pokey.

But I thought you spun it on the horizontal axis first <-->
then on the vertical ˅˄ with the nose up & battery down?

That may expalin why I had issues yesterday, havent updated the controller yet, nor done the compass dance as I've just done a couple short flights in the field next door until yesterday. I went to our local vets cem to get some pics, first flight was fine but for the 2nd one I decided to move closer to the stuff I was gonna video & guess I didnt get full gps lock as it kept trying to go back to where I was & was spinning in a large circle around me. I was maybe 30 ft from where I first flew it. :?

Never rush the turn on cycle before take off. Always be sure to wait for a full GPS lock (two green flash cycles) before flying. A lot of folks then take off and hover for few seconds making sure all control is behaving properly.
You don't want to contribute to a possible flyaway:)

Based on my experience, I find I run into very little problems when my compass is properly calibrated AND I have GPS lock and a good fix on a number of satellites. Working with these same satellites for surveying, I can tell you that the accuracy of the quad is going to be based on the number AND the position of the satellites in the sky (they are continuously moving and changing slowly throughout the day). Without a good lock on a number of satellites, the error is in the 15-30' range. But a good lock on satellites and a proper calibration, and the Phantom will hold about a 5-10' position. I believe the reason it calibrates magnetic north is to correct it's position. Remember that magnetic north is deflected to true north by 13 degrees for my area (more or less for others).

Also, make sure you are in GPS mode (you won't get flashing green lights, but yellow), because it won't be able to correct for wind/drift.

Hehe, it wouldnt have flown too far away, it would have either crashed into the trees surrounding the cemetary or the calibrum (think thats how to spell where they keep the ashes). Its out in a woodsy area, not close to town & at that time there was no one else there than my party, we left when another person showed up to visit one of the gravesites. Didnt want to disturb them when they were with their loved ones spot.

And my party was my spotter, we are both vets so we were respectful of course, no yelling & such.

And I dont even remember what my lights were flashing, so I totally messed up since I was rushing to get it done.

Glad to hear ya got it going PortPilot, I found the directions a bit confusing too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4