Red Rock Canyon -- Southern Utah

Off limits: most of Las Vegas from about 4 miles west of the strip to 4 mikes east. (Look at AirMap)
Lake Mead. Colorado River (around here). Valley of Fire. Most everything north of US 95. (Military). there are areas you can drone but a lot of the mainstream places are no go.

Again look at AirMap get some idea.

And as far as Valley of Fire, mostly everything that people find visually arresting is miles from the border of the park. You’ll never reach it from the outside with a drone.

Thanks, the place I was trying to remember was Mt Charleston, I filmed some rock climbers at Red Rock, but was a little tame, they informed me about this place close enough for a day trip to team up with someone and get some hard core climbing footage. Red Rock Utah looks great, can you get anything from flying outside park?
Red Rock, Utah is not inside the park. Bryce and Zion proper are too large to “fly in” and film

Reactions: ravedog
Yeah, most of the National Parks have pretty sizable boundaries that make flying in from outside the park pretty useless. In addition, if you did fly in from outside and had a problem that resulted in the drone landing or crashing within the park boundaries be prepared for a fine north of $1000USD.

Brian

If that’s the case I’ll just put my ex-wife’s phone number on it(actually still hitched)

I got back from another trip to southern Utah last Saturday and this it the first video from the trip. Red Rock Canyon is close to Bryce National Park and offers great photo/video opportunities and some nice hiking as well. It is real close to the road, has easy parking, and is free...

Brian

Coming back within month to Las Vegas, between there and Red Rock Utah are there other drone opportunities? The long drive would be worth it, I love what you captured, but need to intice my son that we can catch some things on the way. Those spires look like what the kids would make on the beach, except only a foot high, those are so big and beautiful

Coming back within month to Las Vegas, between there and Red Rock Utah are there other drone opportunities? The long drive would be worth it, I love what you captured, but need to intice my son that we can catch some things on the way. Those spires look like what the kids would make on the beach, except only a foot high, those are so big and beautiful

There are plenty of drone opportunities in Utah though there are also lots of places that are off limits. Southern Utah has numerous National Parks that are, of course, off limits, and in addition, like Nevada and California, a good portion of the state is governed by the restricted airspace of the military bases and ranges. That said, as you can see from many of my videos there's still lots of great places to fly your drone and capture great video. I caution people about summer because its a desert and it can get and stay very hot so from June through August much of the southern desert areas are kind of difficult and we do, sadly, have deaths due to the heat. One other problem derives from the changing designation of some of the parks and monuments in just the last half year. Not only Bears Ears, but the Grand Staircase Escalante have had there boundaries changed quite substantially with the Secretary Ryan Zinke's actions. Even the locals in the areas effected are not sure where things begin and end.

Using a combination of Google Earth and AriMap you can usually find interesting places and check they are OK to fly in.

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl