Phantom 3 Professional - Crashed into Lake

I did buy a second one - but didn't get nearly the deal you described. Where did you find that package?
I didn't get that deal either, but the concept worked the same, even though I paid $1185 at the time at Best Buy on January 2nd. After that, I bought lightly used ones at $500-600 to get the W323 P3P with old motors for the better video output from the aircraft. Ultimately, I was able to exchange the W323A $1185 one towards a P4 at Best Buy and got a price match to the DJI two extra battery P4 bundle price, as well. :cool:

I did buy a second one - but didn't get nearly the deal you described. Where did you find that package?
It looks like the Micro Center deal is over. But got this in the e-mail today:
AtlantaHobby.com says they have a very limited supply of Phantom 3 Advanced at $599 special price, with Free Shipping.
DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

I didn't get that deal either, but the concept worked the same, even though I paid $1185 at the time at Best Buy on January 2nd. After that, I bought lightly used ones at $500-600 to get the W323 P3P with old motors for the better video output from the aircraft. Ultimately, I was able to exchange the W323A $1185 one towards a P4 at Best Buy and got a price match to the DJI two extra battery P4 bundle price, as well. :cool:

I operate in Canadian Dollars. Here, all our retail stores sell for approx the same price. Apple, Henry's, BestBuy and Staples all sell for $1379 + 13% tax = $1558. Drones Plus and other Hobby shops sell for a little higher - $1399 to $1449. Saw one on Amazon for $1299 + tax and that was the absolute lowest I could find for retail.

Craigslist has a number of individuals selling used P3Ps at various prices in conditions from "good" to "like new" or "mint". A few retailers advertise there too at $1379 + tax. The used ones are often bundled with cases and extra batteries.

I found a guy who was selling one he had received as a gift and it was actually new. Still factory sealed. He was asking $1200 (no tax). He was selling it because he already had one so I convinced him to keep the battery and give it to me for $1000 - no tax. So I ended up saving $558 over retail and still got a brand new bird (minus the battery). That's about 35% less. I already have 3 batteries (plus 2 aftermarket we won't discuss here) so I was happy to give up the battery in exchange for an extra $200 off.

$1558 Canadian - the cheapest retail cost with sales tax included is $1228 US at the interbank exchange rate.

$1000 Canadian is $788 US. I didn't get the battery, but I did get all the other accessories - (charger, props, remote control). 2 months ago I sold an extra P3A I had for $1000 - so this was a steal compared to what else was on the market. I can probably use this until DJI replaces my crashed unit and then still sell this for the same $1000 I paid for it! And if I'm ever able to recover the Phantom at the bottom of the lake - I'm reasonably sure I'll be able to salvage the 4K circuit board and get at least $200 for it. Any other parts I'm able to dry out and salvage will be great to keep on hands as spares.

Even if I don't find it myself. If some fisherman ever hooks on to it and pulls it up - it's got my name and number on it and it offers a reward - so I'll probably get a call - but if that's what happens, I'll be unlikely to salvage anything more than the shell from it since the fisherman is not likely going to know to take quick action on the dry out and it will probably sit on the floor of his boat corroding for a week before he calls.

My submarine arrives on the 14th. It may help me find it a but I shant wait. This weekend I'm going to hire some kids to snorkel in the area and see if they can find it for me. More than any salvage value. I'm very curious to see if all 4 props are intact!

It looks like the Micro Center deal is over. But got this in the e-mail today:
AtlantaHobby.com says they have a very limited supply of Phantom 3 Advanced at $599 special price, with Free Shipping.
DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

So - we don't have any Microcenter's in Canada. I checked the shipping options in MicroCenters FAQ and they say

MicroCenter said:
We apologize but we are temporarily unable to ship to Canada."

I hope that means that they will be able to soon!

On a whim, I changed the .com to a .ca at the end of their website URL and got the following message:
(If this is indeed a message from the same MicroCenter then this would suggest to me that they may be in the process of creating a Canadian store! That would be fantastic! I guess we'll know in about 12 weeks!)

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465443130.905092.jpg

Reactions: Jezzy and GadgetGuy
Even if they do .. many stores have different products and pricing due to supply lines. Theyre essentially just the same branding and different stores.

Even if they do .. many stores have different products and pricing due to supply lines. Theyre essentially just the same branding and different stores.

Of course.

They'll definitely have different pricing, but they'll have similar products if not identical - and another big electronics store competing here will help keep prices as low as possible at Best Buy and other electronics stores.

On a whim, I changed the .com to a .ca at the end of their website URL and got the following message:
(If this is indeed a message from the same MicroCenter then this would suggest to me that they may be in the process of creating a Canadian store! That would be fantastic! I guess we'll know in about 12 weeks!)
My guess is that it is a different company.
They use two words for the company name in the US, the .ca website clearly uses one word. The design is also different, most US companies keep the same design and add a maple leaf into the logo for consistent branding.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465484761.254489.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465484927.078082.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465485049.197813.jpg

Yeah their domain for com is also registered to an INC micro electronics and the ca is something someone registered on godaddy in 2009 with very little disclosure...

Although.. their index was last edited on may 12th 2016 so someone was recently doing something there... it remains half configured so easy to poke around more

If you hit https://microcenter.ca:8443 it redirects you to a 404 hosted by hostgator.com and they have a wide open pop server that happily tells you it's ready to use ..

I wouldn't say that this is owned by a corporation at all, considering the lack of security... I'm surprised they actually set a root password on the MySQL dB...

Last edited:
That's not much of an answer. I would still call them on the phone. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. The phone queue wait is usually under 20 minutes. At the very least, by talking to a manager, you can get a realistic timeline. Personally, I never wanted my flying ability to be hampered by the slowness of DJI repair for warranty claims, so I bought a second bird the same day the first one crashed. Having backup birds keeps you in the game, just like every professional photographer requires a backup camera!

No need to pick up the phone.... It's done! I received the following response from them just a few moments ago...

DJI Support said:
After having our data analysis team take a look at the flight log from the flight in question, we were unable to determine the cause of this unfortunate event.

There does not seem to be any user error, but without the craft, to analyze the flight records there is no way to be 100% sure.

With that being said we have decided to cover your unit by warranty, and offer the craft only at no cost to you.

I'm still waiting to learn what exactly they are replacing. The aircraft started its life back in September as a Phantom 3 Advanced. I upgraded it just over 2 months ago to a Phantom 3 Professional. It also had a brand new battery attached to it when I crashed.

I am expecting a replacement Phantom 3 Professional with a brand new battery - since that is what I lost - but if they type my serial number into a computer, it may show as an "Advanced". We'll see. In any case - I'm very happy that they've acknowledged that the incident was not caused by pilot error and that they will be replacing my aircraft - and that this whole process took less than 2 weeks!!!

Thanks for you analysis! I wish you worked in the DJI claims department!

I was a good distance behind the SeaDoo and more than 60 feet above it. Do you really think it's possible it sprayed water that far and high?

60feet is not a short distance and therefore its high improbable that the seadoo squirted over your phantom and that this (little) squirt caused such a big problem... But nothing is impossible.. It depends from many factors (power and speed of the seadoo, wind factor....) ..and at the end... I was just trying to explain to myself such an unfortunate end of your drone. Good luck with dji...

Just read that dji will give you another drone.... I m very happy for you and... BRAVO For DJI customer service!!!

No need to pick up the phone.... It's done! I received the following response from them just a few moments ago...

I'm still waiting to learn what exactly they are replacing. The aircraft started its life back in September as a Phantom 3 Advanced. I upgraded it just over 2 months ago to a Phantom 3 Professional. It also had a brand new battery attached to it when I crashed.

I am expecting a replacement Phantom 3 Professional with a brand new battery - since that is what I lost - but if they type my serial number into a computer, it may show as an "Advanced". We'll see. In any case - I'm very happy that they've acknowledged that the incident was not caused by pilot error and that they will be replacing my aircraft - and that this whole process took less than 2 weeks!!!
Excellent! When they cannot determine the cause and no blatantly obvious pilot error appears, they error on the side of the user. Don't be surprised if they send you a W322 P3A aircraft with the 4K gimbal and camera with an attached P3P logo plate and gold stickers, possibly without a battery. That's what they sent me to replace my factory P3P. It will be exactly what you lost, except for the battery. You may have to hassle them for the replacement battery. I did, but they ultimately sent it, too. Good turnaround time, and improved email response! Way to go DJI! :)

GetterBacks installed...

View attachment 56585

I realize that's not the same way they were installed in the video - but I figured if it crashes into the water, it's just as likely to sink upside down than right side up - and at least this way if the Velcro loosens and the GetterBacks slide, there's no way they can slide up into the props....

Anybody see a problem with having them installed like this...?

Reactions: Reed L
I realize that's not the same way they were installed in the video - but I figured if it crashes into the water, it's just as likely to sink upside down than right side up - and at least this way if the Velcro loosens and the GetterBacks slide, there's no way they can slide up into the props....

Anybody see a problem with having them installed like this...?
Does it require two, or is that just for balance and redundancy, in case one doesn't activate?

If I flew over water I would probably try and find a way to put 4 of them on...1 might do it, but 4 is much better in my mind

When flying over water, fly twice as fast, to minimize the risk, by cutting the flying time in half! :p

Does it require two, or is that just for balance and redundancy, in case one doesn't activate?

The one in the video had 2 on it - but vertical, not horizontal. My guess is that there are 2 in case it comes to rest on the one and it is unable to fire. They're only $16 each and even if my assumption is incorrect and one is sufficient, I thought that 2 would be good for balance.

They're just attached with Velcro and I didn't like the looks of it when I attached then vertically. If the Velcro loosened even a little during flight - I had visions of them sliding up the leg and interfering with the props. Horizontally on the bottom of the landing gear seems safer and I think they'll probably work just as well - although I hope to never find out for sure....

They only came with instructions for attaching to a fishing rod. I'm not even sure how much water it takes to activate them. I should look that up. I'd hate to be flying in a very light mist and have them fire while in the air - or caught in a sudden shower. I think the guy in the video said it took 3-4 minutes after it was completely submerged before his fired but it would probably be good to know for sure - and if there's any sign of mist or chance of rain - I might opt to leave them off for flight's that day...

They only came with instructions for attaching to a fishing rod. I'm not even sure how much water it takes to activate them. I should look that up. I'd hate to be flying in a very light mist and have them fire while in the air - or caught in a sudden shower. I think the guy in the video said it took 3-4 minutes after it was completely submerged before his fired but it would probably be good to know for sure - and if there's any sign of mist or chance of rain - I might opt to leave them off for flight's that day...
I believe they are pressure activated and require the pressure from a depth of 15 feet to activate. It's been a while since I looked into them. They certainly will add drag and weight, which will reduce flight performance, and the only reason to recover the aircraft after such a 3-4 minute submersion would be for warranty or insurance purposes, as I fly over saltwater, not freshwater, and the aircraft is totalled once it enters saltwater. Even if you could get it working again, I sure wouldn't trust it thereafter!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20