Phantom 3 for commercial use

Reaction score
I've had a Phantom 2 for a while now and just sold it and ordered a Phantom 3 pro.

I've had this idea about using it for commercial use like estate agent photos etc. is there anyone else doing this and how do you go about it legally.

As I understand it you need CAA approval for any commercial use.

To get approval you need to do a flight course to say your a safe pilot etc and I'm guessing you need insurance.

If I'm right anyone know how much it costs and what's involved and where you can get trained, approved etc?

I'm in the Midlands.

I've had a Phantom 2 for a while now and just sold it and ordered a Phantom 3 pro.

I've had this idea about using it for commercial use like estate agent photos etc. is there anyone else doing this and how do you go about it legally.

As I understand it you need CAA approval for any commercial use.

To get approval you need to do a flight course to say your a safe pilot etc and I'm guessing you need insurance.

If I'm right anyone know how much it costs and what's involved and where you can get trained, approved etc?

I'm in the Midlands.
You'll probably get more hits in the General forum, since it's a relevant question for anyone that flies a camera.

I've just reposted this as suggested but can't delete this post. Can't see a delete button anywhere.

I have been looking into this also and to get CAA permission will cost you in the region of approximately £1800. Not sure on the cost of commercial insurance.

I have been looking into this also and to get CAA permission will cost you in the region of approximately £1800. Not sure on the cost of commercial insurance.

Gov gotta have their tax money don't they o_O

It is illegal to operate a UAV/Quad/Drone for commercial purposes without getting a Section 333 exemption. I had a buddy get caught for advertising and U.S. DOT nailed him because he didn't have a waiver. The drones are only supposed to be used for "recreation/hobby" purposes and you cannot get any compensation for their use. They hold onto the waivers tight and from the hours of research I have done, 90% of people who have received waivers are Private Pilots who operate the craft. Do not use the craft for commercial purposes. It's playing with fire if anyone got a hold of an ad, website, etc. just trying to help as I am having my attorney prepare the Section 333 waiver for me. :(

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

"For example, using a UAS to take photos for your personal use is recreational; using the same device to take photographs or videos for compensation or sale to another individual would be considered a non-recreational operation."

I did not know this, so if I took a image and sold it to someone, thats breaking the law!? Absolutely ridiculous. If he has given me permission to take pictures of his property and I am not flying the drone out of sight, I would consider that perfectly legal.

What if I took a picture with my smart phone without permission and sold it to someone is that legal? Or took a video of something and then uploaded it on social media,nso the whole world can see! Is that legal?

So many dos and don'ts. The government needs to calm down and concentrate on more serious issues.

Agreed but it is what it is. People buy quads and all of a sudden they see the natural beauty of the terrain and objects and they somehow think they are photographers. Then they crash because they are too focused on getting the shot instead of flying the craft.

I did not know this, so if I took a image and sold it to someone, thats breaking the law!? Absolutely ridiculous. If he has given me permission to take pictures of his property and I am not flying the drone out of sight, I would consider that perfectly legal.
You might consider it legal, but your opinion wouldn't count.

What if I took a picture with my smart phone without permission and sold it to someone is that legal? Or took a video of something and then uploaded it on social media, so the whole world can see! Is that legal?
If you are photographing on the ground, no-one cares.
It's not about photography and selling photos.
It's about aviation safety.

ps .. sometimes the law is an ***.

Reactions: waring192
It makes you wonder if the Inspire was seen as an attempt to get around this law, if there are 2 operators, one for flying, one for shooting. Would seem to kill the argument that the focus should be on flying if someone is dedicated to the flying.

Reactions: Turbazz
Well let's see.... Look's like a drone shot? Must Be a Drone that did this? Or? you used a.....
polester2.jpg

And you used a Video Camera On It... Just don't go too high now... I've seen some sweeps and swore they were Drone shots but they were done by Pole.
This one goes to 21 feet. And you can be creative with them....
You'll see a few guy's offering this in real estate. Completely Legal and you can't tell the difference when done right. One guy lays the pole down at the end of the driveway then lifts off ever so little and sweeps into the house giving that drone effect.

Last edited:

What if I took a picture with my smart phone without permission and sold it to someone is that legal? Or took a video of something and then uploaded it on social media,nso the whole world can see! Is that legal?

So many dos and don'ts. The government needs to calm down and concentrate on more serious issues.

In the UK the CAA use the term ‘valuable consideration’ (i.e. payment), if you receive any payment in connection with your phantom, for photography, video or maybe a survey, you need CAA permission.
So technically even if your neighbour gave you £50 to check his gutters you would need CAA permission, in fact even if he gave you a crate of beer that could be deemed as ‘valuable consideration’..... but I doubt they would come after you for that......:rolleyes:

Agreed but it is what it is. People buy quads and all of a sudden they see the natural beauty of the terrain and objects and they somehow think they are photographers. Then they crash because they are too focused on getting the shot instead of flying the craft.

Not sure I follow. Amateurs fly to get the shot too. That's what I do all time. It's the only reason I fly. Also, you're more likely to be flying a precise and controlled path when flying to film. I would argue you're less likely to crash as result. Works for me.

I have a trick I use that works pretty well. You offer to take the video for free, but charge for your editing. You charge the same amount, but call it an editing labor fee. It's legal - at least in the USA.

Reactions: Options and RyanK
Well let's see.... Look's like a drone shot? Must Be a Drone that did this? Or? you used a.....
View attachment 20715

And you used a Video Camera On It... Just don't go too high now... I've seen some sweeps and swore they were Drone shots but they were done by Pole.
This one goes to 21 feet. And you can be creative with them....
You'll see a few guy's offering this in real estate. Completely Legal and you can't tell the difference when done right. One guy lays the pole down at the end of the driveway then lifts off ever so little and sweeps into the house giving that drone effect.
obama_selfie_stick.gif

Reactions: Options
I have a trick I use that works pretty well. You offer to take the video for free, but charge for your editing. You charge the same amount, but call it an editing labor fee. It's legal - at least in the USA.
Can you advertise a drone service as free and then charge for processing?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic