petition for new Drone law in Canada

Mr Marc Garneau you obviously did not consult any drone operators before you wrote your ludicrous laws. You should be ashamed of yourself. You have basically shut down drone operators whether they be hobbyists, commercial and retail businesses across this wonderful and "free?" country with your bombastic misuse of authority!! It's obvious that you have no idea of the technology in todays drones. I am a professional drone operator and take real estate pictures as a business. You just put me out of work and wrecked my livelihood, perhaps you would like to share some of your fat wage to help me survive and find a new job. I've got two words for you and your idiotic rules and it's not good day!!!

I just sent the petition to all the contacts in my email account, over 1000

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberStew
Hi guys,

While I think the petition is great, I think you can be equally effective (if not moreso) if you contact the Minister directly at his office on Parliament Hill. Remember that a calm, rational argument will take you farther than an angry, pitchfork one! Also, Marc Garneau was the first Canadian in space and director of the CSA, so probably a good idea to show him some respect :). Here's his contact info:

Email: [email protected]

Parliament Hill Office:

House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A6
Telephone: 613-996-7267
Fax: 613-995-8632

(Mail may be sent postage-free to any Member of Parliament!)

Constituency Office:

4060 Sainte-Catherine Street West
Suite 340
Westmount, Quebec
H3Z 2Z3
Telephone: 514-283-2013
Fax: 514-283-9790

Hopefully we can open the discuss up further!!

Here is my email to the Transport Minister:

Hello Mr. Garneau,

Congratulations, I did not know that you were the first Canadian that went into space. It must have been an exhilarating experience and a memory you will always cherish.

I wish to talk about your new drone policies and how it has personally effected me. First off I will admit that there needed to be some regulation and tough penalties for those who blatantly flew in a reckless and dangerous manner. Safety should always be the main concern.

I am a commercial aerial photographer using my drones in a safe, well planned out and executed manner. Indeed I have over 30 years of experience flying a variety of UAV's. A lot of my work is taking pictures for real estate companies and your new rules have shut me down and basically put me out of business. I have never had one incident or complaint from a member of the public and my work was important to the businesses I served. I fly at approximately 40 feet from the ground, lower than most street lamps, well I used to. A kids basket ball is much larger and heavier than my small drones and would cause more damage to property or the public than a small drone weighing less than 2kg. Also, these drones pack a lot of technology in them including redundant systems and fail safe features, certainly something no basketball has.

I am also concerned about the drone industry and what is going to happen to it. People have businesses and lively hoods that depend on the sale of drones and associated products. Is there no concern at all about how your new rules will effect them and the thousands and thousands of drone purchasers?

Drones are very safe when operated by mature and experienced pilots. I am proud to be a Canadian and to live in our free country but I honestly feel that the new rules are over kill. Can we not mirror the United States and their FAA approved reasonable regulations? I urge you to rethink your new drone laws and the impact it will have in peoples lives, such as mine.

Sincerely

Mike Harris

Thanks Slide. I let off steam in a previous post but you are quite right. A polite letter explaining why and how you feel is much more likely to receive a response...... I had an auto reply saying that due to the high number of emails each day it would take a longer than usual time for a response. If we all send letters expressing our valid concerns then we are likely to be heard and perhaps Junes rules will be more reasonable.

The new regulation for drones is completely ridiculous, basically banning drones from flying anywhere. I believe these regulations were

Implemented by misinformed opinion and could not have been developed based on statistical data concerning safety. As far as I know there have been no

Safety incidents, no harm to public or accidents with commercial aircraft. If there has been a few reckless pilots flying near airports then they should be punished accordingly, but to completely ban all drone flying for everyone is outrages. With this mentality you would have

to ban driving cars because of all the deaths by drunk drivers, or ban alcohol because of domestic violence etc. And these examples there is statistical data proving concerns however these things are still legal.

Wake up and realize that these new regulations were adopted in error and make amendments that are fair to the drone operators. Do the right thing !!

Admit you made a big mistake and show some leadership. That’s What We Pay You For !!!

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
Screenshot_20170508-002837.png

Maybe our honorable minister could take some time to consider the following Whose drone is that? DJI unveils UAV traffic tracking system
Before making this so called fair law a reality.
As it is the government might as well ban drones all together .
The proposed law puts drones that are up to 1kg in virtually non dangerous category claiming that majority of hobby users fall under this category , not true.
A drone that weights just 200gr more is considered more dangerous .Thats 200 gr more which is nothing realy .Lots folks flying with drones that weight 1.2kg. To compare that to a 35kg drone is a huge difference. What the hell are they thinking .
Insurance and tests give me a break , stop milking more money from Canadian tax payers .
One single comfirmed collision with a helicopter which was flying under 400ft and drone operator flying within FAA regs.
The rest ballons , paper bags , birds ?
Go after those idiots flying within 5km of airports.
Give me a space to fly . RC model fields do not welcome drones and besides they are few and far between.
Cars and trucks have caused much more mayhem.
Lets regulate base balls or playing hockey on the street after all a ball or puck can hit something or someone.
I don't mind the 5km from airport
I don't mind 90m height max
I don't mind the keep within eyesight
I don't mind staying away from people although 70m is too much.
Not in cloulds ok with that makes sense.
Not at night why not if the drone is equiped with lights that can be seen by possible aircraft I don't see the issue. Due to the lights I can actualy see it better than during day time .
If i want to play in my back yard within the above rules that should be my problem.
The rest of proposed regulation is pure rubish. Not that I have disregard for safety but I have been in the aircraft maintnance business for almost 40 years I know full well aircraft safety.Please drop the proposed draconian rules.
I just want to enjoy my hobby safely without having to keep looking over my shoulder.

Last edited:
Reactions: guards

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj