Packard Plant in Detroit

Reaction score
On a recent trip to Detroit, I was able to capture some footage of the old Packard plant. This place is immense! It officially closed in 1958, the last real Packard released in 1956. The sprawling factory covers 3.5 million square feet and is over a half mile in length.

Enjoy!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Am I missing something? There is no full screen button. I'd like a good look at this.

Edit: If you click on the word Vimeo, it opens a new page where you can view a bigger video. Nice production. Thanks for sharing.

I think it was sold off on some auction to development investors. Cheap if I recall. The cost of tearing it down is what kept interest down on it.
From the looks of all the tagging, there's ways in there. I wouldn't want to come across the people in there "residing". Was a beautiful plant and someone's hopes and dreams at one point that built some iconic vehicles. Too bad it closed and stayed closed. The jobs there helped feed a lot of families.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The plant was sold to an investor from Peru, who plans on renovating some of the structures and using them for multi-use purposes, keeping the look of the original factory intact. Not sure how realistic this is, but time will tell.
There are now security that roam the half mile area that encompass the factory ruins. They are there to keep people out mostly. Some portions are also fenced off.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31