P4 Pro and ND Filters

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I just exchanged my P4 for a P4 Pro today and was curious about something - does one really need ND filters with this particular model since you have more control of the aperture? Any compelling reason to still use them?

Regardless, I have a brand new set (6 total) of Polar Pro ND Filters I purchased for my P4 which I just realized I can no longer use. Will probably throw in the Classified section soon.

I would say yes. Maybe a stop or two less than before, but I usually fly in golden hour and still typically needed ND16 for 1/50s with my P4. Now with my new P4P (and no ND yet) I went for my inaugural flight and better aperture control was not getting it done on its own. Not even close.

For one thing I had to go up to 60fps and 1/120s, which meant I couldn't try 4k H.265 (only available for 24 and 30 4k, and I'd have been WAY overexposed). And keep in mind that the sweet spot will likely be around f4, so for optimal IQ you'd only be benefiting from ~1 stop difference. That ND16 I most used on the P4? That's 4 stops.

So unfortunately no. While I'll appreciate a little wiggle room to dial things in once I have an ND installed and in flight, variable aperture alone will not fully replace ND's. If I could buy only one for the P4P, I'd probably go ND8 assuming you like 24fps.

Reactions: InforGuy
I would say yes. Maybe a stop or two less than before, but I usually fly in golden hour and still typically needed ND16 for 1/50s with my P4. Now with my new P4P (and no ND yet) I went for my inaugural flight and better aperture control was not getting it done on its own. Not even close.

For one thing I had to go up to 60fps and 1/120s, which meant I couldn't try 4k H.265 (only available for 24 and 30 4k, and I'd have been WAY overexposed). And keep in mind that the sweet spot will likely be around f4, so for optimal IQ you'd only be benefiting from ~1 stop difference. That ND16 I most used on the P4? That's 4 stops.

So unfortunately no. While I'll appreciate a little wiggle room to dial things in once I have an ND installed and in flight, variable aperture alone will not fully replace ND's. If I could buy only one for the P4P, I'd probably go ND8 assuming you like 24fps.
Great info. Thanks much.

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT