P3A Floats

+1

The veterans who have knowledge and experience know their aircraft is not going down.
That's just funny. I'm just waiting for the EPA to say we can no longer fly over water because of the number of these polluting the lakes and rivers.

That's just funny. I'm just waiting for the EPA to say we can no longer fly over water because of the number of these polluting the lakes and rivers.
we tried for hours to find it. Even searched with the side scan. It dropped in the inter-coastal and at that spot it has a 5+ knot current. It landed where it branches to four different locations. i knew exactly were it splashed but we could not find it. we were over to its location with in minutes. I wish i could have pulled it out of the water so it did not cause any issues. That area is heavily fished so one day someone will most likely land themselves a drone.

we tried for hours to find it. Even searched with the side scan. It dropped in the inter-coastal and at that spot it has a 5+ knot current. It landed where it branches to four different locations. i knew exactly were it splashed but we could not find it. we were over to its location with in minutes. I wish i could have pulled it out of the water so it did not cause any issues. That area is heavily fished so one day someone will most likely land themselves a drone.
I was not poking at you. Sorry if it seemed that way. Just laughing at the the guy that said the veterans know their aircraft is not going down. There are posts almost daily here and on other forums about these things falling in the water. It is a shame that no one makes a decent waterproof and floating quad. It is not that hard to do.

I was not poking at you. Sorry if it seemed that way. Just laughing at the the guy that said the veterans know their aircraft is not going down. There are posts almost daily here and on other forums about these things falling in the water. It is a shame that no one makes a decent waterproof and floating quad. It is not that hard to do.
None taken i just wanted to point out i did everything i could to recover it. My last post on the first page expands on my thoughts in regards to system failures. It gets pretty depressing sometimes reading all these horror stories.

None taken i just wanted to point out i did everything i could to recover it. My last post on the first page expands on my thoughts in regards to system failures. It gets pretty depressing sometimes reading all these horror stories.
I have had 4 flyaway incidents, all recovered. Only one crashed in the water. Fortunately it was my home built quad which does float. There was no damage. Even the Gopro survived the dunking after drying it out in the sun.

This water noodle is interesting, I'm thinking of getting one of those walmart water noodles they sell for a few bucks, cut it, attach it and try some water take offs and landings, they are really weightless hmmmm..........:rolleyes:
A pool noodle will work. I raced RC boats for years and that is what we used for flotation in them. Those boats weighed over 20 pounds and half of a noodle would keep them afloat. Good thing is you can cut them to fit the legs and use zip ties to hold them in place.

. . . It is a shame that no one makes a decent waterproof and floating quad. It is not that hard to do.
image.jpeg

Nothing shameful about it. ;-)
Do a simple net search, and you will find a submariner drone...
A drone that can fly, float and dive underwater
Happy sailing... Ha

RedHotPoker

So, If they build it, you will be onboard...?
I would only admire it from afar. Doesn't interest me. You can already buy an RC submarine if you want to find out where the big fish are hiding. ;-)
But I don't fly over water very often either. So I'm not too overly concerned of spills.

RedHotPoker

So, If they build it, you will be onboard...?
I would only admire it from afar. Doesn't interest me. You can already buy an RC submarine if you want to find out where the big fish are hiding. ;-)
But I don't fly over water very often either. So I'm not too overly concerned of spills.

RedHotPoker
Actually I have built a few of my own. I fly over fast moving water a lot and just simple floats are not enough. Any float with enough volume to keep the Phantom on the surface, will act like a sail in the wind and likely show up in the video. If you crash in the water, she is just as likely to land buttered side down. I have tried a bunch of different floats, none very successful. Ended up installing some Phantom guts in a waterproof, floating shell which works much better.

Water is our drones nemesis. Stay well back, or brave the relentless elements. Mother Nature can be sweet or cruel. ;-)
I know there are many solutions to the problem. Or avoid water, unwanted deep plunges solved...
If only flying over and around water, wasn't exciting enough, add awesome 4K video and 12mp pics to the equation. Haha
Then flowing or large bodies of H2o actually becomes a drone magnet.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I will be doing several multi-day kayaking or rafting trips soon. In August, I will be 7 days on Cataract Canyon starting in Moab. I may do 18 days on the Grand Canyon in September. (We did the Gates of Lodore section of the Green River last year as well as Westwater canyon on the Colorado River.) There is no "if." I will be shooting video over water. ;-)

Sweet, sounds like whitewater heaven. Haha
So, please bring a SIM card and do some live streaming to your YouTube or Facebook account, of some of those excitement filled times. ;-)
Or make a mini movie.

RedHotPoker

Sweet, sounds like whitewater heaven. Haha
So, please bring a SIM card and do some live streaming to your YouTube or Facebook account, of some of those excitement filled times. ;-)
Or make a mini movie.

RedHotPoker
No live streaming possible. There is no WiFi or cell service in these canyons. We will have a satellite phone in case of emergency. I will be lucky to get GPS signal.
My quads do not have any kind of follow me mode or obstacle avoidance at this time so I would have to control them myself and let someone else do the rowing.

One thing i have noticed with the ones they sell is they get in the camera view. you need to angle off the from tips so that this doesn't happen. If that is the case why even fly if you are filming floats. The odds may or may not be low but there has been too many incidents of these falling out of the sky with no warning and nothing to do with user error. Been there done that. I do not like the training wheels but for now they are a sense of security. I have a bucket list of shots i want to get so after that i will not be as disappointed if i crash the thing.

If i can orbit the boat on plane in the litchi app and get some great footage without the floats in the camera to much then yes i think they for me they have served there indented purpose. I think that will be a good test. The video i posted there is just a few incidences were you can see the floats. I would think that winds over 15mph might have a big impact and i do not see any reason to fly in it. I can always film another day. I am more interested in filming my surroundings. distance records and such i will leave it to the rest.

I would have no issue with sharing data to see if yes there is a effect that outweighs the benefit of a recovery system. for me i do not notice a difference on or off.

My early float design efforts did show up in the video unless you used narrow setting on the GoPro which reduced quality.

Attachments

• quad with floats.jpg
    quad with floats.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 442
  • phantom floats 1.jpg
    phantom floats 1.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 391
  • phantom with floats.jpg
    phantom with floats.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 361

Recent Posts

Members online