Night shot of Melbourne Australia.

Great work Clay....you've just convinced me my decision to order the P3P yesterday was the correct one....(I'm from Ballarat, almost neighbours!)

Awesome shot! Did you use Auto exposure?

Don't want to be 'that guy' but flying at night is against Australian CASA laws (unless you have your UOC and have an exemption). Be careful, uploading such footage to YouTube can result in a pesky fine.

Doesn't matter. Still can't fly at night.
Take a city photo at night and compare it to the photo posted by the op. In my opinion the ops photo was taken in low light - dusk, but not at night. P3 cameras take great pics in low light but do not perform well at night.

Couple of things on this one.

First: @Claydoc911 good to see something else from Melbourne :) FYI I was driving over the Bolte Bridge the other night and I couldn't help but notice there is a point where you could take off facing the wall of containers on the ship yards, then rotate to come up over the bridge revealing the ferris wheel and the city skyline. I need to measure the distances to see if it complies, but would make an awesome shot...

Second: I'm trying to get an official definition of 'daylight' for CASA's regulations. Yesterday I took mine to the local reserve and had my best time flying yet. It was twilight and there was a lit up tennis court for contrast, areas of cloud were still pink and the house lights were just starting to be seen. Now the rules are 'day VFR' which is fine, but the only references I can find are for viewing distances above and below the clouds from a plane perspective. I had LoS with my quad at all times, in fact it was sooo much easier as not only could I visually see the quad itself but I could see the LED's (can't really in the daylight) which made it easier to control.
It definitely wasn't 'night' but not 'day' either. It was during the sunset window.... I wonder where that 'officially' cuts off.

I know I was certainly following all common sense rules in regards to safety but the official ones? Not so sure.

I'm trying to get an official definition of 'daylight' for CASA's regulations.
It definitely wasn't 'night' but not 'day' either. It was during the sunset window.... I wonder where that 'officially' cuts off.
Outside both polar regions ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) defines daytime as that period between 1/2 hour before sunrise until 1/2 hour after sunset.

Reactions: caffeinated
Outside both polar regions ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) defines daytime as that period between 1/2 hour before sunrise until 1/2 hour after sunset.
That is extremely useful, and extremely good news! This video was taken at 5:30 which, as it happens, is just before 30 minutes after sunset! Perfect. (note: not a great video, forgot to change video settings/exposure and was just the only place I could get to before I lost light)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I know I was certainly following all common sense rules in regards to safety but the official ones? Not so sure.

I think it works out to be more 10 minutes after sunset. There are charts in the AIP (Australian document) that you can work it out off. I use the Naips app. Gives you weather, notams, last light etc.

Here is today's last light for Melbourne Airport. Compare that to sunset time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 356

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers