New Owner of a DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ v3.0 some questions please...

Yep, the dratted Dynamic Rollover is always ready to bite. You only have to get distracted for a second when they are in ground effect. I have a couple of 3d capable esky 250s here, and haven't touched either since getting phantoms. Flying model helis was good prep for trying an R22 though. All that is really different are the reaction times to a control input. I learnt to fly without a gyro, so even peddling the tail wasn't too bad. It was fun, but I decided I couldn't afford it. Chickenhawk is still one of my favourite books!

I LOVE Chickenhawk! The BEST helicopter oriented novel I've ever read!! Awesome to hear someone else say the same.

I've had to let a couple of my gas heli's go since being medically retired from the Army and through the VA as well. Just not enough disposable income to keep up with the maintenance and the inevitable crashes. I had an MD500 gas heli I miss more than all others! Now, I'm down to one Blade SR120 that has seen her fair share of incidents. But she keeps coming back for more despite the outright difficulty of flying it. Repair parts are cheap though unless you dunk it and I don't do overwater with that one.

I've mainly been flying my Stratios and Radien these days. Glider like longevity in the air and minimal chances of crashing although, I did crash my Strat not too long ago and have a complete airframe rebuild to do. All parts are in, but I was distracted by this Phantom showing up! lol

I actually have a video which shows Robert Mason talking about how he became a "hero" [which he was, of course] He said he was just too tired to care about the bullets, and that's how heros are made.
I have spent a fortune on model aircraft & helis over the past 40 odd years. Then I got into 1:1. I only flew gliders for a while, then owned & flew low performance microlights, then high performance, then Helis, then more sensibly, models again. I find the Quads so different, probably because we are not flying them in the normal sense. They obey the controllers without anywhere as much puckerfactor as losing orientation on a small plane or heli, a long way off & low down. Same solution though. Give lots of up until you can figure it out. Now I am getting used to the actual "flying".
I had a big stable of 20-60 sized aircraft, mostly 4stroke, then sold them all. Now I only have electric aerobatic, powered sailplanes & a big twin fan warthog. My 40meg futaba is the best RC controller I have used
I used to miss my 60 sized gasser, until I discovered the small electric eskys. I have just about worn 2 of them out, without many prangs - once again, mainly chipped blades from a DR. I never dared to fly them far away - they vanish pretty quick.
These quads are great. I learned to fly planes in mode 1, then helis in mode 2, and mode 1. However, I have decided to stick to mode 2 from now on.

Blackhawks, this is new technology. With these birds having GPS they are truly intelligently controlled. Pop up 10-15 ft and let go of the sticks and the hover right there. That is if you did all the calibrations and followed the directions. If that was all completed satisfactory do like they did in flight school short GPS at first and get use to the craft and controls. My first few batteries was about 10 ft up all over the back yard. Doing squares, and circles, lazy 8's and ups and downs. Got a good feel before taking her out. Then I tested the functions like Home lock, course lock and Failsafe. Got em down pat before I started the long and distant flights. I'm an ole guy and need plenty of instruction. My service was in Marines in the 63-67 era Vietnam Nam. I now have two Phantoms and about 6 batteries. I live in an area that is full of woods and water. I have to plan any autonomous flights so I get the best video but most of all plan to get the bird back home.

The first thing you want to do is al the calibrations, but put your bird in Naza mode, IOC, calibrated and change the s1 switch to GPS top, atti middle and Failsafe on bottom. That way anytime you lose her or get disoriented you can flip the switch and bring her home. Also get familiar with the HL function so you can throw the S2 into HL pull back on the reverse stick and she will come back overhead. View the videos on those functions and practice them. They will help make you a goo pilot and will get your bird back. A few other keys to but they will come with flight time. Enjoy Pilot !

I actually have a video which shows Robert Mason talking about how he became a "hero" [which he was, of course] He said he was just too tired to care about the bullets, and that's how heros are made.
I have spent a fortune on model aircraft & helis over the past 40 odd years......
These quads are great. I learned to fly planes in mode 1, then helis in mode 2, and mode 1. However, I have decided to stick to mode 2 from now on.

That would be a very interesting video to see!

I, too, have spent way too much money on this hobby over the last 20 or so years. To be honest though, after my tour in Iraq where I had a moderate TBI that required brain surgery, I lost much of the spatial awareness needed to fly heli's. It was like starting all over again once I was able to get back to it. That's why I got rid of the two nitro ones I had. I have to keep my planes, and this Phantom, in low gain mode. Switch to high gain and things just happen to fast for this battered old brain to handle. LOL!

Blackhawks, this is new technology. With these birds having GPS they are truly intelligently controlled. Pop up 10-15 ft and let go of the sticks and the hover right there. That is if you did all the calibrations and followed the directions. If that was all completed satisfactory do like they did in flight school short GPS at first and get use to the craft and controls. My first few batteries was about 10 ft up all over the back yard. Doing squares, and circles, lazy 8's and ups and downs. Got a good feel before taking her out. Then I tested the functions like Home lock, course lock and Failsafe. Got em down pat before I started the long and distant flights. I'm an ole guy and need plenty of instruction. My service was in Marines in the 63-67 era Vietnam Nam. I now have two Phantoms and about 6 batteries. I live in an area that is full of woods and water. I have to plan any autonomous flights so I get the best video but most of all plan to get the bird back home.

The first thing you want to do is al the calibrations, but put your bird in Naza mode, IOC, calibrated and change the s1 switch to GPS top, atti middle and Failsafe on bottom. That way anytime you lose her or get disoriented you can flip the switch and bring her home. Also get familiar with the HL function so you can throw the S2 into HL pull back on the reverse stick and she will come back overhead. View the videos on those functions and practice them. They will help make you a goo pilot and will get your bird back. A few other keys to but they will come with flight time. Enjoy Pilot !

First off, please allow me to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service to this Nation! The way your generation of Veterans were treated upon your return was disgusting!

Two of my Uncles are Vietnam Vets. One was an Infantry guy with two tours. First tour he was ground pounding and the second he was a door gunner on Huey's. Unfortunately, he passed away two years ago due to complications from Agent Orange poisoning. He was awarded the PH 3x, two BSM's and one Air Medal, among some other awards.

My other Uncle served three tours as a Huey pilot. First tour he was a Lift guy and was reassigned about half way through to MEDEVAC. His second tour was with MEDEVAC and his final tour was as a UH-1 Attack pilot. He told me by far, being a MEDEVAC pilot was the most demanding and fear inducing assignment. He had three aircraft shot out from under him in a single two week period during the Tet Offensive. He was tasked in the battle of Hue. He said he was amazed because each time, he and his crew walked away unscathed. On his last tour from 71-73, he was awarded the PH twice. He said was the tour that was easiest for him! An amazing man to sit and talk with.

I knew so little about either of my Uncles service until I had been in the Army for about six years. I had been on convalescence leave after a fairly bad crash on Fort Campbell, visiting them the first time they opened up. Then, over the following years, both of them started talking to me more and more about their experiences in Vietnam. Both said it takes having a brother who can understand to openly discuss those things and I appreciate that mentality very much today.

Thank you for your studied advice! I will be sure to incorporate it into my "lesson plans"! :)

That would be a very interesting video to see!

I, too, have spent way too much money on this hobby over the last 20 or so years. To be honest though, after my tour in Iraq where I had a moderate TBI that required brain surgery, I lost much of the spatial awareness needed to fly heli's. It was like starting all over again once I was able to get back to it. That's why I got rid of the two nitro ones I had. I have to keep my planes, and this Phantom, in low gain mode. Switch to high gain and things just happen to fast for this battered old brain to handle. LOL!

First off, please allow me to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service to this Nation! The way your generation of Veterans were treated upon your return was disgusting!

Two of my Uncles are Vietnam Vets. One was an Infantry guy with two tours. First tour he was ground pounding and the second he was a door gunner on Huey's. Unfortunately, he passed away two years ago due to complications from Agent Orange poisoning. He was awarded the PH 3x, two BSM's and one Air Medal, among some other awards.

My other Uncle served three tours as a Huey pilot. First tour he was a Lift guy and was reassigned about half way through to MEDEVAC. His second tour was with MEDEVAC and his final tour was as a UH-1 Attack pilot. He told me by far, being a MEDEVAC pilot was the most demanding and fear inducing assignment. He had three aircraft shot out from under him in a single two week period during the Tet Offensive. He was tasked in the battle of Hue. He said he was amazed because each time, he and his crew walked away unscathed. On his last tour from 71-73, he was awarded the PH twice. He said was the tour that was easiest for him! An amazing man to sit and talk with.

I knew so little about either of my Uncles service until I had been in the Army for about six years. I had been on convalescence leave after a fairly bad crash on Fort Campbell, visiting them the first time they opened up. Then, over the following years, both of them started talking to me more and more about their experiences in Vietnam. Both said it takes having a brother who can understand to openly discuss those things and I appreciate that mentality very much today.

Thank you for your studied advice! I will be sure to incorporate it into my "lesson plans"! :)

I agree with the idea of learning it all with the bird reasonably close. Home lock is really useful if the fpv falls over, as it sometimes does when it is too far away to see the orientation. It means that pulling back on the rh stick brings the bird towards you, no matter which way it is facing, pushing left, moves it left etc. However, be warned that if you over-fly within 30ft of home, it will change into Atti Mode and keep going away, even though the switch is still in home lock position. It does not re-enable itself (why not? Dji?). Just flick the switch fully up (ioc off) & then back to home lock to get back into home lock mode again. If fact, I find it a good idea to do this before you go too far away, just to make sure it really does know which way home is.

Reactions: BlackHawk388
Did my first two flights today. Each battery lasted for over 15 minutes. It was windy, 10mph constant gusting to 15. The first flight, the P2V+ went into to auto return home when I misjudged my remaining battery life and came to a 25' hover right over where it had locked a home point and then I was able to lower it to the ground myself. That was the most disconcerting experience of the two flights. I hope if this thing is ever a couple hundred meters away, it would return a little quicker than it did being just 50m away from the home point.

For the first five minutes I was flying, I was taking it very easy. Running a race track pattern at 20' and low speed. The next ten minutes, I was doing high speed passes with altitude changes, hard banking (hard for this drone....nothing compared to my heli's ;) ) and ended that battery with nose in maneuvers at 50m distant and roughly 25' of altitude. The second battery I experimented more with altitude, max of 100' and distance, a max of roughly 200m. I wanted to stay a safe distance away from the power lines and towers located 400m to the North of my position. However, I also did a lot of close nose in practice at 6-8' altitude and maybe 15' in front of me.

I was amazed by the stability of this thing! It stayed within a 6' radius and 2' altitude at 100' above me which is clear of the tree line about half a mile to the South of where I was flying. The winds at that altitude had to of been greater than what I had at 40-50', but it remained very stable. The Vision App showed 12 sats detected. At 10', it remained within a 2' radius and 1' altitude even with the gusts to 15. I was highly impressed and this drone made me look like an expert pilot to my family who witnessed the first two flights. LOL!

Did my first two flights today. Each battery lasted for over 15 minutes. It was windy, 10mph constant gusting to 15. The first flight, the P2V+ went into to auto return home when I misjudged my remaining battery life and came to a 25' hover right over where it had locked a home point and then I was able to lower it to the ground myself. That was the most disconcerting experience of the two flights. I hope if this thing is ever a couple hundred meters away, it would return a little quicker than it did being just 50m away from the home point.

For the first five minutes I was flying, I was taking it very easy. Running a race track pattern at 20' and low speed. The next ten minutes, I was doing high speed passes with altitude changes, hard banking (hard for this drone....nothing compared to my heli's ;) ) and ended that battery with nose in maneuvers at 50m distant and roughly 25' of altitude. The second battery I experimented more with altitude, max of 100' and distance, a max of roughly 200m. I wanted to stay a safe distance away from the power lines and towers located 400m to the North of my position. However, I also did a lot of close nose in practice at 6-8' altitude and maybe 15' in front of me.

I was amazed by the stability of this thing! It stayed within a 6' radius and 2' altitude at 100' above me which is clear of the tree line about half a mile to the South of where I was flying. The winds at that altitude had to of been greater than what I had at 40-50', but it remained very stable. The Vision App showed 12 sats detected. At 10', it remained within a 2' radius and 1' altitude even with the gusts to 15. I was highly impressed and this drone made me look like an expert pilot to my family who witnessed the first two flights. LOL!
Absolutely know how you feel!
In my mind, I consider it a helicopter, except it has a mind of its own, which, in general, is a good thing. It's a bit like the jesus nut though, if it comes off, nothing you can do will save it. We always have to remember, we are not actually doing the flying, the naza unit is. We are only guiding it. However, if we accept that, our previous flying all counts to help it us fly smooth manouvers. Great thing is: - if in doubt, leave the sticks alone. That is nothing like flying anything real that I have flown. These things are helis without the panic.
peter

Absolutely know how you feel!
In my mind, I consider it a helicopter, except it has a mind of its own, which, in general, is a good thing. It's a bit like the jesus nut though, if it comes off, nothing you can do will save it. We always have to remember, we are not actually doing the flying, the naza unit is. We are only guiding it. However, if we accept that, our previous flying all counts to help it us fly smooth manouvers. Great thing is: - if in doubt, leave the sticks alone. That is nothing like flying anything real that I have flown. These things are helis without the panic.
peter

That very fact, the aircraft is doing more of the flying than we are, is why I waited four days after getting it before I actually flew it. Following the advice here, which was repeated multiple times in all the videos I watched, I had to ensure I knew how the aircraft would react for a variety of situations. The low battery deal was quite the surprise. Nothing could prepare me for my suddenly having zero control of the drone and that sucker flying right back to me and then stabilizing in a hover like it did.

Am I correct in thinking that if I had not made any control inputs, once the battery drained a little bit more it would of descended and landed on its own? I'm 98% sure that is a correct statement. ;)

That very fact, the aircraft is doing more of the flying than we are, is why I waited four days after getting it before I actually flew it. Following the advice here, which was repeated multiple times in all the videos I watched, I had to ensure I knew how the aircraft would react for a variety of situations. The low battery deal was quite the surprise. Nothing could prepare me for my suddenly having zero control of the drone and that sucker flying right back to me and then stabilizing in a hover like it did.

Am I correct in thinking that if I had not made any control inputs, once the battery drained a little bit more it would of descended and landed on its own? I'm 98% sure that is a correct statement. ;)

That is correct. Glad to hear you had some successful flights! :cool:

Keep in mind, that low battery return to home speed is even slower if it is fighting a head wind - and it may not make it back if out too far in that case. Be mindful of wind direction as the battery may exhaust and cause your Phantom to set down in an area (tree top, water, roof) where it may be difficult to find or access.

And, yes, thank you for your service. There's something very wrong with the world when baseball players make more money than those who risk their lives to keep us safe.

Yes, although I have never let it autoland.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31