New iOS Pilot App (1.1.2) RTH nag/dummy screen is deplorable

Reaction score
Speak your mind here and tell DJI to remove this before it causes a crash. There is currently no way to dismiss this FPV overlay without canceling RTH. There needs to be an option to dismiss or minimize to keep the view unobstructed during an unassisted RTH.

Can you explain the situation in a little more detail. Give an example please.
I post a screen shot later today. Basically when you do RTH now a warning screen is displayed over the FPV and you can't see anything.

I post a screen shot later today. Basically when you do RTH now a warning screen is displayed over the FPV and you can't see anything.
Thanks I'll test that out. Usually their is an X, or touching the screen off the box eliminates it.

Not a good idea to block the FPV screen. Were you on an iPhone or iPad?

have you tried to swipe it like when you close tabs in your iPhone or touching off the menu to clear it?

image.jpg

Yes that's it @vinnnocc, and on an iPhone 6 it takes up the entire screen. Yes I did try to swipe the warning and it did nothing. Will try the swipe to remove telemetry next and see if everything goes away, but I would like to see my telemetry when doing RTH as well.

Yes that's it @vinnnocc, and on an iPhone 6 it takes up the entire screen. Yes I did try to swipe the warning and it did nothing. Will try the swipe to remove telemetry next and see if everything goes away, but I would like to see my telemetry when doing RTH as well.

if you swipe down the DJI pilot app, whole overlay disappears and you see nothing but the fpv , no menus no layovers, nothing, have you tried that and it still just shows this overlay?

so the screen is translucent not opaque. I was the under the impression it was opaque
In the bright sun it's hard enough to see what's going on without a "50%+ translucent or opaque (mixing terms here)" dummy screen overlay.

if you swipe down the DJI pilot app, whole overlay disappears and you see nothing but the fpv , no menus no layovers, nothing, have you tried that and it still just shows this overlay?
Not yet, but like I said I want to see my telemetry especially in a unassisted RTH scenario. I think I know why they did this and it has to do with the max height hack some were performing. Huge misstep on DJI's part with unintended consequences for others by ruining the experience.

The response:

Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
We are not sweeping under a rug. I actually disagree with your premise. That warning is there to let people know the percentage of the battery and also that you can take control at any time. Now could it be smaller, I would agree with you. Contrary to what has been stated here, RTH is not a feature to use when you don't want to fly your craft. It is there when there is a problem. Why would you give up control of a perfectly flying craft? Makes no sense to me. We will report your concerns to the developers.

None of this makes makes any sense to me especially the battery percentage part. I can see that on telemetry. There are many useful scenarios for RTH beyond emergencies or when you just don't want to fly home. Whatever, typical BS from DJI.

Reactions: Bob Publicover
The response:

We are not sweeping under a rug. I actually disagree with your premise. That warning is there to let people know the percentage of the battery and also that you can take control at any time. Now could it be smaller, I would agree with you. Contrary to what has been stated here, RTH is not a feature to use when you don't want to fly your craft. It is there when there is a problem. Why would you give up control of a perfectly flying craft? Makes no sense to me. We will report your concerns to the developers.

None of this makes makes any sense to me especially the battery percentage part. I can see that on telemetry. There are many useful scenarios for RTH beyond emergencies or when you just don't want to fly home. Take control by pressing the RTH button again. Whatever, typical BS from DJI.

Last edited:

"Exit RTH. That would be the responsible way of controlling your craft."

This is the type of response i would expect from a company like DJI...

Support said they passed the concern on to the developers. I just get bent when I feel something is updated but then you find some features have actually been taken away and the user experience has been downgraded. Well I've said my piece and it's out of our hands at this point.

if i hit RTH i would like to be warned that yes it is retuning but then i would like to be able to watch it to make sure isnt gonna hit anything.

It would be better if the controller emitted a beep every 2-3 seconds to indicate it's returning home. For newbies the message may be informative. They could add a menu option to turn off the alert.

It used to just say RTH in the banner up top which was sufficient for me. Good point on newb flyers but DJI shouldn't ruin the experience for everyone else. I'm so tired of everything always being dumbed down. Do we really want people flying these things that can't figure out to enter and exit RTH with a huge H button on the controller?

Reactions: F6Rider
if i hit RTH i would like to be warned that yes it is retuning but then i would like to be able to watch it to make sure isnt gonna hit anything.

Yeah, they should have a way to minimize and/or hide that notice. Its not a big deal on iPad Air but I agree that it would be on a smaller screen like a phone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31