Need some pointers

Reaction score
My son and I got a phantom 3 pro for Christmas. We threw this video together and posted it, but I know this bird can do better. Can you folks take a look and offer ANY suggestions you can for us to work on ??

You can email us at [email protected]

Thanks so much

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

[email protected]

One thing that I have noticed that can help a my shots is slower more deliberate pans. If you are rotating to the left, then just go for it at a nice even pace. This helps to keep the video smooth and it makes the video easier to watch. The videos look really good by the way!

My son and I got a phantom 3 pro for Christmas

First off BigErnie - welcome to you and your son to Phantom Pilots Forum - this is pretty well your last stop to finding solutions to any issues you have or just like you did - ask any old question.

Great site with all kinds of experience and expertise regarding your Phantom and flying.

Your video looks very good to me - perhaps the one thing I would mention - as ""astarofaz" mentioned - slow down the yaws - rotating the bird left, right or right around - do some very slow rotations to smooth out the results ---- makes viewing a lot easier on the eyes.

However, as said, you guys did an amazing job of filming n flying. Best of luck.

Reactions: MCTV
If you are rotating to the left, then just go for it at a nice even pace.

Welcome aboard "astarofaz" to Phantom Pilots Forum - this is pretty well your last stop to finding solutions to any issues you have.

I agree with your comment on the video - a little tough on the eyes when the rotation is too quick - good comment.

Welcome aboard "astarofaz" to Phantom Pilots Forum - this is pretty well your last stop to finding solutions to any issues you have.

I agree with your comment on the video - a little tough on the eyes when the rotation is too quick - good comment.
Happy to be here! I am excited for the community, there seems to be a lot of expertise here. I am sure that I will learn lots and hopefully be able to share my own knowledge as well!

My son and I got a phantom 3 pro for Christmas. We threw this video together and posted it, but I know this bird can do better. Can you folks take a look and offer ANY suggestions you can for us to work on ??

You can email us at [email protected]

Thanks so much

[email protected]
Hey BigErnie (and whoever else may read this) can I ask for the same favor? Any constructive criticism is welcomed :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nice stuff guys! It takes practice to get nice fluid shots. I'll go out in the field across the street from my house and use a whole battery doing orbital flights trying to keep myself in the center of the shot, maintaining the same distance, etc...

I sat out the other day and just let my P4 hover about 80 feet up for a shot including my house and the sky and just played with camera settings taking stills and short clips.

For composition I'll choose a subject and think about ways to film it. I'm working on a list of shots I'd like to try and get over the next couple of months. I've got a list of locations (all very local), subjects and ideas of how I want to capture them so I can go in with an idea of what I want and use my time and battery power most efficiently.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Nice stuff guys! It takes practice to get nice fluid shots. I'll go out in the field across the street from my house and use a whole battery doing orbital flights trying to keep myself in the center of the shot, maintaining the same distance, etc...

I sat out the other day and just let my P4 hover about 80 feet up for a shot including my house and the sky and just played with camera settings taking stills and short clips.

For composition I'll choose a subject and think about ways to film it. I'm working on a list of shots I'd like to try and get over the next couple of months. I've got a list of locations (all very local), subjects and ideas of how I want to capture them so I can go in with an idea of what I want and use my time and battery power most efficiently.

Great ideas for getting familiar with filming - very good in fact as IMO the photography side of the Phantom seems tougher to grasp than flying it.

I will incorporate those ideas into my play book now to get up to steam on that side of the Phantom flying - best of luck with your future flying n filming MCTV!

So what kinds of shots would you say would be the most important ones to master first?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm by no means anything approaching professional and there are people here that can give you much more detail and information, or at least point you toward a valuable resource. For myself, I am focused more on smooth movement, composition and attaining the full potential image quality out of my equipment than any type of style of shot; what looks interesting to me may bore the heck out of you.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

HAVE A QUESTION. CAN YOU USE A I-PAD NOT CONNECTED WITH ANY CARRIER LIKE ATT OR VERIZON ON A PHANTOM 3 ADVANCE/ BUY ONE ON E-BAY AND NOT SIGN UP WITH ANYBODY. AND IF SO WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST TO USE

HAVE A QUESTION. CAN YOU USE A I-PAD NOT CONNECTED WITH ANY CARRIER LIKE ATT OR VERIZON ON A PHANTOM 3 ADVANCE/ BUY ONE ON E-BAY AND NOT SIGN UP WITH ANYBODY. AND IF SO WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST TO USE
Absolutely! I currently use a mini 3 wifi only. I just hook up at home and cache maps for the area that I plan on flying then when I get into the field use that map for all my operations. Just do some checking that you are getting one with enough processor to run the apps (check put he lost of devices DJI recommends)

Have a look at this link about different types of shots to do.

I would start with messing with the exponential rates on the controller to slow the movements. Find what you are comfortable with. There are no rules to it. This will cause the smaller stick movements to have less drastic aircraft movements.

Try using the POI function for the smooth panning shots around the water tower. There are tons of Youtubes on how to use it and its quite simple.

For gimbal pitch try setting it something around 20-25. This will slow the acceleration and deceleration of the cameras pitch movement. Experiment with it. Changing pitch exp will slow it down a bit so it doesn't go too fast with small movements. These settings are in the camera settings page under Advanced.

Get a set of neutral density filters and a lens hood. The lens hood will help keep the props from causing the flicker when flying towards the sun with it high over head. Putting a neutral density filter of ND4 or more will allow you to lower the shutter speed allowing longer exposures. Makes the video smoother. Without one in summer sun makes the video very sharp.

Most importantly is to go nice and slow. Dont get me wrong, its fun to fly, but its made photography and videography, not racing.

I knew nothing of videography when I got my Phantom but I learned all of this from people around these forums. My videos aren't professional but these tips I've learned have made them look a hell of a lot better.

HAVE FUN!!

Also, check out the Litchi app. It is a 3rd party app that let's you do a lot of powerful things as well as automate your flights and shots.

Certainly not a replacement for first learning how to fly smoothly and safely by hand. But I'd suggest putting that on your "to learn" to do list as well.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Have a look at this link about different types of shots to do.

Thanks for posting that video - gives clear instructional ideas on the type of shot along with and how to!

astarofazs' video seems sharper than BigEarnies'. Now, I'm old with bad eyes but the BE video really doesn't appear to be as clear. Anyone else see this? Don't get me wrong BE your vid is very good as far as I'm concerned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.