Need for Distance

Reaction score
When I first got my P3S I wanted to see what she would do. Put a wind surfer on and found a huge open field. I got about 1.2Km when I chickened out and flew it back. Now, if I need to fly similar or greater distances I use Litchi missions.

I am curious why so many modify their controller in order to extend the range of their drone. Is it simply a matter of "Because I can" or do you have a specific need to fly your drone 2-3 miles from your home point?

Reactions: Goldsaum82
Good question. I have both a P3 4K that uses Wifi, and a P3A that uses Lightbridge. The reason I like the increased range with the P3A is that I can fly out to something that is distant, and record what I can't "physically" get to (i.e. a large structure and/or landscape). Many people like the increased range because it allows them to "explore" what they otherwise can't get to or see. I recently flew my P3A out 2400m before turning around (still had full signal). I was amazed by what I recorded much further down the river. I wouldn't have been able to do this with my P3 4K. While some people fly solely for the reason of seeing how far they can push their range, most people don't. Most hobbyists enjoy the increased range for the reasons I've listed above.

When I first got my P3S I wanted to see what she would do. Put a wind surfer on and found a huge open field. I got about 1.2Km when I chickened out and flew it back. Now, if I need to fly similar or greater distances I use Litchi missions.

I am curious why so many modify their controller in order to extend the range of their drone. Is it simply a matter of "Because I can" or do you have a specific need to fly your drone 2-3 miles from your home point?

In my case, I don't really fly for distance. My main reason for modifying the controller on my P3S was to stop the video and signal drop-out at normal distances. The P3S uses wifi and not lightbridge, so the stock controller is poorly designed for the P3S anyway.

The Itelite DBS mod I use eliminates all signal loss in most cases where I fly in open, rural areas. The windsurfer I tried only helped the signal some, but does nothing for the wifi video signal. So the DBS is my choice for trouble free flying. And, if I venture out a mile or two, I can still control the bird and video.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
Longer range means you have full control of your aircraft in that range.

You can get long range with apps like Litchi but you will not have control over your aircraft all the time as it would fly a predetermined mission.

Also flying long distances with full control is a fun for many.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20