Low battery warning when flying but not on the ground

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I’m reasonably new to flying drones so not that technical with issues. My Phantom 2+ has been working perfectly since I’ve had it, however I took it out earlier today and Inserted a fully charged battery, (I have 4 and all had same issue) it says 99% on the app and has the 4 green lights, but once I take off after about 10 seconds it has 4 rapidly flashing lights and the low battery alarm is sounding and saying 5% so I quickly land it and the battery % jumps back up to 90 odd %, so I take off again and the same happens, tried swapping the battery’s but same issues. Has anyone had this happen or can anyone advise what could be the problem and how can it be resolved?

Many thanks

It seems your batteries have lost capacity.

Are they old?

They are about a year old, just by doing a bit of research I think I may have made a bad school boy error, I say they are fully charged, they were fully charged a couple of weeks ago and then put away until today, so I think this is a big no no?

Yes.

Storage should be at the 40-60% charge level as well.
Storing at full or no charge will accelerate internal chemical reactions reducing lifetime.

Thank you for replying to me [emoji1360] i was going to take it out and fly when they were charged but something came up so couldn’t which is they reason I packed them away fully charged, never again tho, is there anyway of de charging the batteries?

There are ways. But best to try fully charged first.

I’ve just tried it with a freshly fully charged battery and it flies like it should [emoji1360] thankfully! So I’m going to let the battery run flat now [emoji1360]

Reactions: David Bruce Kerr
I’ve just tried it with a freshly fully charged battery and it flies like it should [emoji1360] thankfully! So I’m going to let the battery run flat now [emoji1360]

Dji batteries don’t like to be run until they die, nor do they like being fully charged. Extended periods of inactivity when left in either of these states can lead to battery life deterioration.
As has been stated, 55-65% is optimal for storage.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Thanks for all the advise, didn’t realise this at all, but we learn from our mistakes [emoji1360] the batteries are not the cheapest to buy so they do need to be looked after, will be storing them around the 55-65%
Thanks again [emoji1360]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4