Local County Park Unlawfully attempting to regulate drones

It's going to get to the point where drones will get smaller and smaller. They will be everywhere and too small to regulate. People will just have to grow use to it.
Have you seen this lil guy?

Reactions: xspwhite
Posting in this thread because it’s related and folks reading here might be most interested and informative. The title of this post could very well be the same title I’d use if I started a new thread.

It appears that Tahquamenon Falls State Park is banning drones - isn’t that exactly what they can’t do under the state law referred to in this thread?

Posting in this thread because it’s related and folks reading here might be most interested and informative. The title of this post could very well be the same title I’d use if I started a new thread.

It appears that Tahquamenon Falls State Park is banning drones - isn’t that exactly what they can’t do under the state law referred to in this thread?

Beautiful place. It's a shame they're banning UAS there.

There are laws, but then there are rules.

Curious what you mean by that?

"Rules" or "policies" that are not actually enacted laws or statutes, are able to be enacted and enforced by a locality because they are granted the authority to do so by some higher-level statute. For example, most state statues grant localities (like a park commission) the authority to enact policies to govern issues like noise nuisance in parks. In the case of this local Michigan drone ban (as well as some others such as where I live in Oregon), the localities are specifically prohibited from enacting drone bans by state statute. They just can't make up whatever rules they want, although some seem to do just that.

Unfortunately the law allows the Director to issue orders and rules as they see fit, even if they conflict with other laws. Until someone successfully challenges the director, his order remains in effect. The problem is it costs lots of money and lots of time and you're not guaranteed a positive outcome. They're using public safety as their reason, which makes challenges even more difficult.

Every incident within the parks should have been logged or generated a report. If I were challenging this, I'd start by requesting copies of activity reports involving incidents with drones. They will more than likely blow you off because it's time consuming for them to do so. So you will need a subpoena or other court order mandating they provide you the information. I would also file a complaint with the AG's office. Basically you have to disprove their assertion that drones pose a safety issue.

If you can gather several UAS operators willing to challenge this order, I think you'd be successful. The order contradicts itself. On one hand it says UAS operation is prohibited, but then it goes on to say (in the subsections) you just can't operate an UAS in conflict with the UAS Act, which is basically in an unsafe manner or in an unlawful way (peeping tom).

Good luck brother. I watched a few Youtube videos on the area and it's very beautiful, especially from above.

Reactions: BigAl07
Unfortunately the law allows the Director to issue orders and rules as they see fit, even if they conflict with other laws. Until someone successfully challenges the director, his order remains in effect. The problem is it costs lots of money and lots of time and you're not guaranteed a positive outcome. They're using public safety as their reason, which makes challenges even more difficult.

Every incident within the parks should have been logged or generated a report. If I were challenging this, I'd start by requesting copies of activity reports involving incidents with drones. They will more than likely blow you off because it's time consuming for them to do so. So you will need a subpoena or other court order mandating they provide you the information. I would also file a complaint with the AG's office. Basically you have to disprove their assertion that drones pose a safety issue.

If you can gather several UAS operators willing to challenge this order, I think you'd be successful. The order contradicts itself. On one hand it says UAS operation is prohibited, but then it goes on to say (in the subsections) you just can't operate an UAS in conflict with the UAS Act, which is basically in an unsafe manner or in an unlawful way (peeping tom).

Good luck brother. I watched a few Youtube videos on the area and it's very beautiful, especially from above.

You sound like a well educated person.

We have done exactly as you said and requested all the documents and data through a FReedom of Informstion Act request. It took longer than expected, but we did receive everything we asked for. Michigan takes foia pretty seriously, it costs a municipality thousands of dollars if they choose to not comply. I had one of the most well educated FOIA person in the state write our requests.

We’ve also formed an organization called MIchigan Coalition for Drone Operators. MCDO.

Soon we will be in court asking a judge to issue a declaratory action on this issue.

It’s already been a long process and if they appeal it will be an even longer process.

I do have the attention of giant uas companies who have a vested interest in making sure this test case goes the right way.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Update:

MCDO had their first hearing today. I want to say thank you to everyone who attended the hearing. There were about 10 of us, plus a reporter and our attorney.

The decision for our request for temporary injunction was put off until the next court date, tbd.

I am euphoric. The judge was well prepared and seems to have a good grasp on the matter. He asked tough questions. As usual, Dean made articulate logical arguments based on the law. Opposing council made emotional arguments and used half truths or even non-truths. Each of these points were countered by our very competent council except for the most egregious, like the concern over drones with flame throwers, that the judge wasn’t buying.

I am quite certain the judge will

Rule in our favor but in an effort to be as fair as possible gave the county more time to prepare.

I’ll include more details later after I’ve had a chance to decompress.

688CE2FE-7B81-4317-ABCD-7B235F22E12C.jpeg

this is at least slightly off topic. While not as straightforward as the case in genesee county, I don’t believe the dnr rule can be enforced, especially for part 107 pilots.

What’s the story behind this picture?

I thought the entire story was in the Beginning of this thread, but realize this thread was started in the middle of the story.

synopsis:

park ranger arrested a drone pilot (me) confiscated drone, Ipad, controller, and just to be a jerk my personal cell phone And issued a citation for a 90 day misdemeanor.

there were two things in my favor: the park didn’t have any rules regarding drones and The State has a strong preemption law which forbids local governments from enacting or enforcing any rules regarding the operation or possession of unmanned aircraft.

charges were dropped, eventually got my stuff back.

park creates new ordinance that does apply to drones, one that is in direct conflict with state law.

drone pilots unite and form a non profit called MIchigan Coalition of Drone operators (MCDO) and we forced the county to stand in front of a judge and explain their actions.
The next hearing is scheduled for nov 8.

Another park to add to the list: Thomas G Spencer Park in Rochester, MI. Tried to fly my drone and ranger came out and said I couldn't. I tried to point out that there are no posted rules regarding drones and that they are legal to fly anyway. And he simply said he'd call the police for me to argue with. I was doing a personal day of hobby flying and not work so it wasn't worth the encounter. Here is the site for the park, including a list of restrictions:

So I went and parked in a parking lot outside the park and a little distance away and flew in from there.

Reactions: jacuzzibusguy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair