Kansas City, MO The Thunderbirds

If anyone is in the Kansas City area and wants to fly come fly with us.

We have a flying field in Sugar creek Mo la Benite park we meet at the rivers gate intrance.

We have a flying field in Sugar creek Mo la Benite park we meet at the rivers gate intrance.
hello from olathe ks when do you fly what days is it open to fly any time? thanks

I would love to see someone else fly their phantom.
I have a phantom 3 standard. Flown every day since Christmas.
Still can't use camera very well. Terrible video quality.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Is this group dead? I live in Olathe and would love to fly with others, as well as get some info on good flying spots (I've only lived here for 2 years, so I don't know the lay of the land all that well).

Im not sure of the original intent of this thread (racing, regular flying, etc), what kind of flying are you looking to do? Youre close to several airports in Olathe so be careful.
Are you part 107 or hobbyist?

Im not sure of the original intent of this thread (racing, regular flying, etc), what kind of flying are you looking to do? Youre close to several airports in Olathe so be careful.
Are you part 107 or hobbyist?
I'm a hobbyist--only had my P3S for about 4 weeks, so still trying to get comfortable. Was hoping to get some tips on good open spaces to go practice.

And yes, I feel like I'm in a terrible location--airports and heliports on all sides!

It sort of depends what you want to do. There are some spots around Overland Park and Leawood with some open areas. Are you looking to just fly or photograph things (buildings etc?)
If you just need an open area to fly there are some spots along 69/159th and south of there. If you go down along the road where the Arboretum is you could pull over and fly in open fields there.
You might be closer than 5 miles from Johnson Co Executive airport, but as long as you are vigilant of any aircraft in the vicinity and avoid them you are ok.

Right now I'm mostly just looking for open areas to practice my flying, and if there's an interesting landmark or two to photograph, even better. Thanks for the suggestions in OP and Leawood--I've seen some open spaces, I'm just never sure if they're private property or not, so I'm always a little hesitant to just start flying over them!

Its good to be respectful, but in my experience most people dont pay alot of attention.
Empty parking lots on a weekend etc are a good option. (like at a corporate office etc), but be prepared to be approached by their security if they have it. Its rare, but could happen. Not that youre doing anything illegal, but they might ask what youre doing.
Also, be sure not to fly over people (as well as the other applicable rules).

Just saw this. I fly out in Olathe, KS. I know there are a bunch of DJI guys in KC but I never know who is on which forum. Anyway, I would love to meet up and fly sometime. I only have a lowly modded up FC40 however it's only my first 'legitimate' quad.
I am North of KC, so it is a ways to Leavenworth, but maybe on a nice weekend we could get together. I would like to see some other Phantom pilots.
Dan

Hi Dan, I’m Alex. I know that this is a Phantom Forum but I’m a new owner of a Spark. I haven’t found anyone from my area on the Spark Forum as of yet. Any chance you’d be interested in flying together? I’m new to the Spark but not new to drones. Let me know and hope to hear from you.

Right now I'm mostly just looking for open areas to practice my flying, and if there's an interesting landmark or two to photograph, even better. Thanks for the suggestions in OP and Leawood--I've seen some open spaces, I'm just never sure if they're private property or not, so I'm always a little hesitant to just start flying over them!

Hello, I havent been on the forum for awhile, just wondering if you found some good spots to fly?

I'd love to have a bunch of drone pilots get together and fly and help the new guys with the basics of safe flights..and be their in case they need to get the drone back I have been flying my P3 SE now for near three years and I have a tee total flight time of 40 hours and I have traveled over 369,000 feet...I'd love to hear from you and let's fly...I'm I'm the KCK area. Mike

Is your group still active at La Benite park? I live in south KC (Raymore). I usually fly at Fleming Park (or in my back 3 acres).

I would also be interested in flying with other Phantom pilots. I’ve flown the Phantom 2 but now flying the Phantom 4 Standard. Some 14 hrs flight time on the P4 (lost track of time on P2). Live in Raymore, MO area (south KC). I also fly a Skydio 2.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl