I sill have this mini for sale -
Make an offer if you don't like the $440. price

ipad mini2 w/ retina display
wifi & cellular
128gb

barely used -in the box

Cheers!

If anyone knows....
Is there a reason the BIG 128gb would not be optimal equipment?
Bigger is better, right?

Last edited:
The 128GB isn't the problem. The dated slow processor is. Too slow for efficient Pilot use. I own one, too! iPad Air 2 runs circles around it!:cool:

My iPad mini 2 128gb wifi/cellular works absolutely perfect for flying the phantom 3.
Try the iPad Air 2, and you'll never look back! (Isn't that reason you are selling the Mini Retina?) With the faster processor in the iPad Air 2, I have achieved almost a 3 mile range on both video and transmitter control! Try that with the Mini Retina. Video craps out at less than 1/2 a mile. Just sayin'...

Tablet hardware would have absolutly zero affect on the distance of usable video. That is 100% the radio on the P3 and in the TX. Choppiness etc... that is a different story, but distance no.

Tablet hardware would have absolutly zero affect on the distance of usable video. That is 100% the radio on the P3 and in the TX. Choppiness etc... that is a different story, but distance no.
Perhaps your definition of usable video and mine are different. If the video is choppy, to me, that is unusable. Besides, if I cant see anything during useful video, because of the fully reflective Mini Retina screen, what good is it? The iPad Air 2 has a nonreflective screen designed for outdoor use, and the Pilot app is optimized for the iPad Air 2`s newer faster processor, which runs much cooler and with much less battery drain than the one in the Mini Retina which quickly overheats. Besides, the iPad Air 2 is lighter and bigger to create a more enjoyable Follow view, which doesn't feel like a rock attached to the top of the transmitter! I own both and have used both. Once you go iPad Air 2, you won't go back to the Mini Retina!

I was not making a point or stance on what is usable at all. If choppy at 1/2 mile it will be exactly the same choppiness at 12 feet. The tablets hardware will have no affect on increased choppiness due to distance. It is nothing more than a monitor. My only point being that no matter the tablet you use it will have no affect on the distance your TX or video are capable of. I was referring to your statement about your iPad Air 2 going 3 miles and the Mini only 1/2 mile. That is complete hogwash. There is not a single technical merit in that statement. Now if you want to make a point about glare, size, ability to display fluid video etc... that's all fair game. I just don't want people to read your comment and think if they upgrade their tablet they will somehow get more TX or FPV distance.

I was not making a point or stance on what is usable at all. If choppy at 1/2 mile it will be exactly the same choppiness at 12 feet. The tablets hardware will have no affect on increased choppiness due to distance. It is nothing more than a monitor. My only point being that no matter the tablet you use it will have no affect on the distance your TX or video are capable of. I was referring to your statement about your iPad Air 2 going 3 miles and the Mini only 1/2 mile. That is complete hogwash. There is not a single technical merit in that statement. Now if you want to make a point about glare, size, ability to display fluid video etc... that's all fair game. I just don't want people to read your comment and think if they upgrade their tablet they will somehow get more TX or FPV distance.
Fair enough! Perhaps I overstated the impact of the Air 2 on the long range flight. Clearly, it would have no effect on transmitter control distance. However, the usable visible video feed is a function of the iPad processor. I have far fewer video glitches now than before with the Mini Retina. The ability to receive the video feed signal is also clearly unaffected, but the processing of it can be. Maybe it is just my biased perception, but I think it helps provide a more stable tablet video display. I had frequent temporary video drop outs with the Mini Retina at much shorter distances. Thanks for your clarification, though! The last thing we want is promulgating more hogwash here! :cool:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic