Incredible flying!!!

It looks like what he did as push the front of the skids into the hill and that force, that small force provided stability while loading and unloading. The blades look like they got within 50cm of the ground and perhaps a bit closer, but the pilot knew where they were.

The pilots skill made the rescue much faster. I maybe wrong, but it looked like the victim had a broken leg.

Brian

Nowhere in the Practical Test Standards are you required to demonstrate such a risky maneuver. Just think if you flew ATTI mode and got close to a building or other structure that close and had an updraft from underneath, would you be able to prevent being pushed up into the building, my guess is an absolute NO. This maneuver looks cool because of the outcome, but should it have ended differently I guess we would be saying how stupid of the pilot to put everyone at risk. If a car came speeding behind you and changed lanes coming inches from your car, and family inside, and the other car on the other lane would you say what an awesome driver, or would you be cussing him out.

Last edited:
Nowhere in the Practical Test Standards are you required to demonstrate such a risky maneuver. Just think if you flew ATTI mode and got close to a building or other structure that close and had an updraft from underneath, would you be able to prevent being pushed up into the building, my guess is an absolute NO. This maneuver looks cool because of the outcome, but should it have ended differently I guess we would be saying how stupid of the pilot to put everyone at risk. If a car came speeding behind you and changed lanes coming inches from your car, and family inside, and the other car, on the other lane would you say what an awesome driver, or would you be cussing him out.
You make a very good point, i was in absolute disbelief when i first watched it and no way would i have been standing that close filming it. Was definitely extremely risky!

Reactions: skymonkey
Nowhere in the Practical Test Standards are you required to demonstrate such a risky maneuver. Just think if you flew ATTI mode and got close to a building or other structure that close and had an updraft from underneath, would you be able to prevent being pushed up into the building, my guess is an absolute NO. This maneuver looks cool because of the outcome, but should it have ended differently I guess we would be saying how stupid of the pilot to put everyone at risk. If a car came speeding behind you and changed lanes coming inches from your car, and family inside, and the other car, on the other lane would you say what an awesome driver, or would you be cussing him out.

If you watch the video carefully you can see that the pilot purposely put forward thrust so as to push the helo into the ground and I think this provides additional stability that limits a disturbance from doing as you say. It also permitted the engine to be at a higher power setting in case he did have to maneuver and not wait on spool-up. OTH, there was a similar rescue attempt in Washington state if I remember correctly where the helo pilot got too close to the ground and the rotor impacted the up-slope side of the mountain. That incident ended badly with the blades shattering which could have killed people. In addition, one of the crew members on the helo fell out and was rolled over by the helo. As I recall no additional people were badly hurt, but the risk for serious injury or death was certainly there.

Brian

It was a risky rescue where the outcome could of been different. And all for non-life threatening injury. A knee injury!

When you first watch the rescue the maneuver is mesmerizing.
Just makes you think how incredible the human brain and body is. And hundreds of years of engineering and science preceding it.
Also makes you think what how a multitude of things that have to come together to enable a pilot to do that. But two things come to mind immediately and that is the interplay between hundreds of thousands of hours of practice and a belief, or confidence, to think you could pull it off. I often think there is such a fine balance between taking risks and achieving brilliance. The rescue was justified, that guy, or woman, believed totally they could do it. And they must have done similar manuouvers many, many times. I am not saying the same maneuver but some similar move or simulation.
A small point. But what amazing things we are capable of.

I think some of the claims that this was unnecessarily dangerous seem to miss the fact that there are lots of instances of helo pilots getting real close to things. I lived for a time next to a 345KV power line and I witnessed on a couple occasions the line crews inspecting the lines by helicopter. The pilot would fly to within inches, not feet but inches, of a line and the lineman would reach out with a grounding pole, connect to the live 345KV line, then climb onto it. He'd then disconnect the ground from the helo and the pilot would stand off while the work was done. There are other inspection types that proceed in a similar way with a helo getting REAL CLOSE.

The case on Mt Hood where the chopper crashed wasn't because the pilot was hot-dogging it and at the moment the chopper got into difficulty the chopper as a good 25 feet from anything. Turns out wind was the problem but rescue teams often have to do there thing in less than ideal conditions. The multiple that had fallen into the crevasse didn't have much time and if the rescue didn't happen that day they may not have made it.

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl