Hypothetical question of course.

I'd charge about $50,000 so I'd have some money to pay for my lawyer in defense of a lawsuit from the FAA!

Reactions: Pinch1020
Asking for a friend... :D

As above, can the golf club offer you something upto a value instead of paying you money?

I think the strict legal interpretation is that bartering is still payment. So keep it on the down low and no documentation, you are just doing a favor for your friend, the course owner, maybe that would work?

Asking for a friend... :D

As above, can the golf club offer you something upto a value instead of paying you money?

I suppose you can barter for membership or some kind of perk but you still need CAA Permission at a cost of just under £1700 (Ive just been costing it up) ....... :(

I think the strict legal interpretation is that bartering is still payment. So keep it on the down low and no documentation, you are just doing a favor for your friend, the course owner, maybe that would work?

Correct....
A flight is considered to be aerial work if it is undertaken for ‘valuable consideration’.

Valuable consideration is defined as any gain you may make from the work
undertaken.

You may ignore any gain of nominal value – a pint of beer for instance, but a crate of
the same is probably valuable consideration.

I wonder if ianwood can elaborate....

A 333 holder (Mike Bernz of Burnz Eye View LLC) recently interviewed on the podcast "The UAV Digest", episode 088, inquired to the LA FSDO about commercial drone use (by the Press/Media specifically) and what enforcement is being administered.

The LA office indicated to him that 'they will not pursue commercial drone use allegations without a written complaint, a witness, and proof of the UAS/UAV used.

Not sure all FSDO's have the same opinion but that's what has been stated.

Is the CAA permission not for commercial stuff? In which case, get paid money, don't barter for a few free rounds and a couple of free visits to the clubhouse/restaurant.

It can also bee loosely veiled by you asking the course owner permission to take-off, land and shoot video in and around his property. He could then grant you permission for said activities with the caveat that you surrender any recorded footage to him.

Barter: to trade by exchanging one commodity for another....
Sounds good to me!
No
It can also bee loosely veiled by you asking the course owner permission to take-off, land and shoot video in and around his property. He could then grant you permission for said activities with the caveat that you surrender any recorded footage to him.
Guess you're not getting paid then.

I'm a avid golfer, I'll take 2 rounds of a foursome to go with the boys...

Not sure about the rules in the US but in the UK you would still require CAA permission. Obviously they have to catch you and have proof..... like posting your going to do it on a forum....NOOOO!..:eek:

In all seriousness though if it all went without a hitch and it was a one off I'm sure you would get away with it , what ever your arrangement with the Golf club, but if something went wrong and you caused damage or injury that's when the s@*t would probably hit the fan.

Wow there are a lot of worriers on here. Charge whatever you can get, you could offer a full package where you could make 18 individual videos that they can have on their website, or just a quick flyover video, it all depends on the size of the job. I did one golf course for €3,000 but that was for the works and it took about 5 days to shoot and edit everything, so maybe work back from that price. I did all my shooting as early as possible to get ahead of the first golfers because they can be a grumpy bunch sometimes. And make an invoice out as charging for online marketing and promotions. I bet thousands of phantoms owners in your country get paid cash for their services, just don't sell yourself short.

If you were doing a photo shoot for a 18 hole golf course, much would you charge?
Photos only?
Video only ?

Lots of worriers! Man.... If you are responsible and fly safely you will be fine. If i were doing this job i would charge $500 for stills and $800 for video. Or a package of both for 1k. Gonna take some time to do a entire golf course. Also have to factor in travel depending on the location. Oh and you are selling footage/pictures. Don't invoice for "Drone Photography".

I have a friend who regularly charges for his Phantom video work, when he makes out the invoice he lists the video as Free and only charges for the Post production and editing work. Seems to be OK as he has been doing it for 2 years without any IRS issues, he even pays his taxes on the editing side. Don't know about other countries. He hands the "Free" video to the property owner, then the owner asks him how much to edit some video he has, seems to be a loophole here.

I have a friend who regularly charges for his Phantom video work, when he makes out the invoice he lists the video as Free and only charges for the Post production and editing work. Seems to be OK as he has been doing it for 2 years without any IRS issues, he even pays his taxes on the editing side. Don't know about other countries. He hands the "Free" video to the property owner, then the owner asks him how much to edit some video he has, seems to be a loophole here.

Even better. I love loopholes! Most of what i sell is indoors so usually not an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31